The Queen of the South thread

On 11/10/2024 at 17:54, Otis Blue said:

A cup tie tomorrow might have used up (part of?) Douglas's suspension for his red last week.

On 11/10/2024 at 18:00, Fae_the_'briggs said:

No, I think red cards are now competition specific so he'd be available ( if I'm remembering the new rule correctly.) He'll serve his suspension in League games.

I don't know for sure, certain people here will, but I think Otis is right. Annan's Tommy Muir was missing from their Challenge Cup game last night, which I think was due to his red card against Kelty a couple of weeks ago. I think F_T_Briggs is also right though, but only with regards to the Scottish Cup.

I also think it's a one game suspension for a second yellow, and two games for a straight red, increasing to three if it's the player's 2nd red of the season.

1 hour ago, DG.Roma said:

I don't know for sure, certain people here will, but I think Otis is right. Annan's Tommy Muir was missing from their Challenge Cup game last night, which I think was due to his red card against Kelty a couple of weeks ago. I think F_T_Briggs is also right though, but only with regards to the Scottish Cup.

I also think it's a one game suspension for a second yellow, and two games for a straight red, increasing to three if it's the player's 2nd red of the season.

Harry Cochrane was sent off at Montrose, pretty sure he sat out the Inverness and Arbroath games but was involved V Airdrie in the SPFL Trust Trophy sandwiched in between those 2 League games.

48 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Harry Cochrane was sent off at Montrose, pretty sure he sat out the Inverness and Arbroath games but was involved V Airdrie in the SPFL Trust Trophy sandwiched in between those 2 League games.

Good point! I dunno then!

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

ALL suspensions are now competition specific. Matt Douglas will miss Cove and would have done whether we had a Challenge Cup tie or not. 

If Tommy Muir missed the Queens Park game it was by choice or he's injured. 

Just one game suspension for Douglas then? 

On 11/10/2024 at 21:24, queenslad said:

How do you feel the first quarter has gone - 13 points out of 27 but only a point from the top. This must be one of lowest pts total to be top of the league after a quarter of matches gone. After first match games have either been wins or defeats so not a case of turning draws into wins Will 56pts win the league and if so what pts would you need to avoid the drop as it would mean a tight league

We've been mediocre so far. It's already a step up from the Bartley and Gibson reigns. On the positive side, there was a large turnover in the summer and the players are still getting used to playing together. I think we'll really kick on after the second quarter. Murphy knows how to build a team to finish in a playoff position. We need a striker that'll get us 10+ goals if we're to a mount a serious title challenge.

Edited by Terry_Tibbs

6 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Fraser Bryden out for another 6 weeks. He has a tore a tendon and will be out for 4-6 weeks

Pretty grim news ... and for Fraser too!

26 minutes ago, HighlandQueen said:

Any news on Craik? 

From what I saw of Craik, albeit only in the LC game at EK, he's just a young lad still learning the professional game. So don't see him bagging the goals to propel us up the league.

8 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

From what I saw of Craik, albeit only in the LC game at EK, he's just a young lad still learning the professional game. So don't see him bagging the goals to propel us up the league.

Got to agree with you. Mind you so far McIntosh and Doherty still don’t look as if they have goals in them. Can’t believe our season may be prejudiced by bad luck/ poor players up front when Murphy has recruited well in defence and midfield. We seemed to forget goals win games and wins win leagues. I will be at Cove but we must break our goalless away streak before a team hits a run and gets detached at the top. I hope the players are fired up to make up for the last match at home! 

The Bryden news is properly disappointing. I think we were all hoping he’d provide the goals and maybe also bring more out of McIntosh. 
Don’t suppose there are any free agents looking for a couple of month’s work? Expect them to be unattached either because they’re unfit or want too much money, but the team just needs a finisher (and also not to be playing Kelty Hearts every week). It’s also maybe an opportunity for one of Doherty, McKechnie or Walker to really step up, score a few and claim a regular spot up front

I did wonder in the summer if Murphy saw his tenure as a two year project. He seemed to focus most of his budget on sorting the defence and midfield with less focus up front. Which made me wonder if the forward area would be the recruitment focus next summer.

That said, I've heard Murphy say in his interviews that he wants promotion this season, so that kinda blows my (two season strategy) theory oot the water, aye? 😎