The Queen of the South thread

Finally some news from the board.

Although i haven't been following Queens for as long as others on here, it seems as though this managerial decision is big one for the club, it needs to be spot on.

Names being mentioned locally for Queens managers job

Gus McPherson ( Distinct Possibility )

Yogi Hughes ( No Chance we could not afford him )

Rowan Alexander ( No Chance been out of the game to long)

Davie Irons ( Possible but under contract at stenny and we won't pay comp)

Neil Scally / Jim Thompson ( Probable but hopefully not )

John Connolly ( Possible still has many contacts in scottish game )

Graham Robertson ( Possible very good with youths)

My own preference would be McPherson or Connolly

Edited by DUMFRIES_CREW

I wouldnt want Connolly back. He did a great job when he was here, but under very different circumstances. I also dont think he does have good contacts in the scottish game. Thats why he struggled at saintees. Rowan Alexander has been applying for football jobs for a while, apparently. I would be amazed if he hasnt put his name forward, but dont know how likely he would be to get the job.

From that list, I would probably go for McPherson or Robertson

Why don't you take Chisholm back? I know it was an ugly departure but he did take you to the cup final and created a team that was for a few months virtually unbeatable. When Dundee went to Palmerston in the Scottish QF we were like lambs to the slaughter. We were understrength and didn't have a hope in hell.

Why don't you take Chisholm back? I know it was an ugly departure but he did take you to the cup final and created a team that was for a few months virtually unbeatable. When Dundee went to Palmerston in the Scottish QF we were like lambs to the slaughter. We were understrength and didn't have a hope in hell.

Because we dont have pots of cash to throw at him this time round

I would, but I think I'm probably in the minority.

Of the others, I would take McPherson. I doubt that we could afford Hughes. I'm not sure how many contacts Connolly has in the game nowadays and there were a few too many rumours of personality clashes between him and players both at Queens and St Johnstone. Robertson and Scally are too inexperienced, same goes with JT plus I would hate a poor spell as manager to tarnish the memories of him as a player. If Alexander got the job I think I'd probably give Queens a miss until he was gone.

There is a lot of good experienced managers out of work in scotland at the moment and the Qos job is the only vacancy in the top 2 leagues at the moment. So we might be pleasantly suprised of who puts there name forward.

A wage from Queens is better than no wage at all

Edited by DUMFRIES_CREW

I find that list of names quite unappealing, but am not quite sure who else we could realistically get. Out of the above, I'd go for McPherson by quite some distance. I would be very much against the likes of Alexander, Irons and Connolly for a variety of reasons. Scally/JT and 'Fanny' Roberston would be a risk, but probably the cheapest options available. I can't see Hughes taking the gig even if offered.

I would, but I think I'm probably in the minority.

Of the others, I would take McPherson. I doubt that we could afford Hughes. I'm not sure how many contacts Connolly has in the game nowadays and there were a few too many rumours of personality clashes between him and players both at Queens and St Johnstone. Robertson and Scally are too inexperienced, same goes with JT plus I would hate a poor spell as manager to tarnish the memories of him as a player. If Alexander got the job I think I'd probably give Queens a miss until he was gone.

I would agree with all of that. McPherson would by choice but then again can we afford him?

Don't know why Chisholm and Connolly are even being considered, both average at best.

Connolly used about a million players which he couldn't do with the windows and Chisholm spent millions which he can't do now.

If Rae has any sense he'll have the bargepole ready but then again...

Of those mentioned, McPherson would get my vote, but I'm not sure that there's much real basis for mentioning them anyway.

I liked Connolly, but times and circumstances have changed and I don't know if it would work.

It is important that we get this right.

If possible - only if it is possible though - I think it would be worth spending a decent chunk of our scarce money to get someone in with a track record.

Of those mentioned, McPherson would get my vote, but I'm not sure that there's much real basis for mentioning them anyway.

I liked Connolly, but times and circumstances have changed and I don't know if it would work.

It is important that we get this right.

If possible - only if it is possible though - I think it would be worth spending a decent chunk of our scarce money to get someone in with a track record.

John Robertson maybe, Walter Smith is available and might see the job as a challenge, he has loads of money and might come cheaply.

:lol: He's serious.

No not serious, but it is the marketing project that I am trying to enlighten. If we appoint a vibrant manager with the WOW factor, then the fans would come out in numbers. With all the negative talk from KB over the past few months, everyone is down in the dumps with many regular fans stating their intent about NOT returning next season.

That does worry me. :(

Don't know why Chisholm and Connolly are even being considered, both average at best.

Connolly used about a million players which he couldn't do with the windows and Chisholm spent millions which he can't do now.

If Rae has any sense he'll have the bargepole ready but then again...

We had transfer windows when Connolly was manager, werent there?

I agree with what you say about both though

No not serious, but it is the marketing project that I am trying to enlighten. If we appoint a vibrant manager with the WOW factor, then the fans would come out in numbers. With all the negative talk from KB over the past few months, everyone is down in the dumps with many regular fans stating their intent about NOT returning next season.

That does worry me. :(

For, probably the first time, I think youre absolutely right. Any appointment seen as "cheap", like Scally or JT, or anyone unknown is going to get a pretty "Meh" reaction from the fans. We really need to bring in someone with a name to attract a bit of interest, not only locally but in the national media. To be fair, that was about the only thing McCall managed to do for us

We had transfer windows when Connolly was manager, werent there?

no that was just before the windows started he then went to perth an failed because the windows started