The Queen of the South thread

Delighted with Carmichael re-signing. Clark should do well enough, and Rome should be a good fit for the reserves and 19's - onwards and upwards...(well, downwards really, but more optimistic about coming back up next year. Kind of.)

Edited by kanadia

Too early to start the "Good Feeling at Palmerston" thread?

:lol: Yeah maybe. Give it another day or two.

I obviously welcome the Carmichael news, but I do think we're in danger of installing ourselves as clear favourites for next year.

It's a bit reminiscent of every bloody side that came down from the SPL. Their fans usually saw them as bound to return straight away and with the exception of ICT once, it never happened.

Winning the league will be a very tall order and in the play-offs, the odds would be against.

I don't honestly believe that we'll fall straight through the division, but I think we need to see a good few games before we decide whether a quick return is at all likely. Right now, I worry that it really might not be.

I see there is a post on the official site frae someyin cawed Eric Moffat that Queens are playing in some reserve game against Hamilton Academicals.

Ye wid think that someyin at Palmy wid ken there isnae an "s" at the end of that team's name. :rolleyes:

good news on Dan Carmichael.

So far my team for next year so far would be;

1. Robinson

2. Craig Reid

3. Holty

4. McKenna

5. McGuffie

6. Higgins

7. Carmichael

8. New signing (midfielder)

9. Smith

10. New signing (striker)

11. Willie Gibson

12. New signing (keeper)

13. Black

14. Magic

15. New signing (defender)

16. New signing (midfielder)

17. McCusker

18. Reilly

Released: Simmons, Potter, A Reid, McLaughlin, Parkin,

Danny carmichael first player to sign up for next season , good news for us

Dan was always likely to stay as he's been a Queens fan. Yes, big Romie on his way to Queens too. Are you sure we can't have Dan back?:unsure:

Love him ot hate him, Stuart Rome has done wonders with the youths of Queen of The South in the short time he has been involved. It’s no surprise Queens have offered him a post.

Queens gain and Gretna’s loss.

Love him ot hate him, Stuart Rome has done wonders with the youths of Queen of The South in the short time he has been involved. It's no surprise Queens have offered him a post.

Queens gain and Gretna's loss.

Is it really about where they get to or where they finish? or's it about how many players will be knocking on the first team door? Don't get me wrong i think he's done a good job, but surely it all comes down to the progression from 19's to first team that judgement really comes down to.

Also, see Lee Robinson in todays standard saying he wants to stay. Be another decent signing from Johnston, know a few aren't keen but i think we could do a hell of a lot worse than Robbo.

Love him ot hate him, Stuart Rome has done wonders with the youths of Queen of The South in the short time he has been involved. It’s no surprise Queens have offered him a post.

Queens gain and Gretna’s loss.

I don't love or hate him as I don't know much about him, and I can't think of anything he has done that would polarise the support like that? I also agree with qos1990 that the test of his success will be in the seasons ahead, not after one year.

What I am happy about though is the fact we are deeming the position of 19s coach important enough to employ someone specifically to do it rather than palming it off to an ageing member of the first team squad á la Scally and Johnston. I don't mean to belittle the job either have done, but to me it indicates the new Chairman is serious about the youth set up, which can only be positive in my book.

In answer to Monkey Tennis, it is things like that which leave me feeling positive about the club, rather than any arrogant thoughts on a prospective title challenge next season. Strange though it may sound, the last few years have seen me less interested in league position (particularly as only 3/10 actually count for anything in the First Division). The season just finished was a shambles on the park and ultimately lead to relegation, but previous seasons have been almost as shambolic, and left me equally disillusioned despite reasonable league finishes. It's bad enough when the product on the park is a mess, without the ones running it behind the scenes being just as bad.

I know the board will be hoping that our stint in Division Two is a short one, but I'll be happy next season to see the structure of the club sorted from top-to-bottom, and the team playing as entertaining football as is possible on a budget the size of ours. I can't help but think if the background work is done properly, success will follow.

I know the board will be hoping that our stint in Division Two is a short one, but I'll be happy next season to see the structure of the club sorted from top-to-bottom, and the team playing as entertaining football as is possible on a budget the size of ours. I can't help but think if the background work is done properly, success will follow.

I think this is what a lot of people want to see.

Personally I would be happy to watch Queens in any division as long as the football they play is as entertaining as it can be given the very obvious budget constraints.

We have all seen what happens when you spend money to chase a dream, and we have been feeling the effects of the board doing exactly that for the past few seasons.

Edited by NEexile

I think this is what a lot of people want to see.

Personally I would be happy to watch Queens in any division as long as the football they play is as entertaining as it can be given the very obvious budget constraints.

We have all seen what happens when you spend money to chase a dream, and we have been feeling the effects of the board doing exactly that for the past few seasons.

At the end of the day Palmerston is a million miles away from being SPL compliant, and the clubs finances are a million miles away from doing anything about that, be it re-development, or re-location - in short, we are a million miles away from being an SPL club. We had stagnated in the First Division, and were throwing money at a pretty fruitless exercise. Even the high-spending "McCall/Chisholm years" didn't see us put in a sustained title challenge, making it money completely wasted. This relegation should be a step back for several forward. That doesn't mean chucking money at it so we return first time only to find ourselves back to square one and in the financial mire again.

I have always felt that the existing board have always lacked any sort of forward planning. That, to me, is the most important thing for the new board to look at more than anything else. If the structure is correct then the club will reach it's natural level, whatever that may be. The previous board made a financial commitment to the youth set-up which needs to continue or again it will be a waste of time. These youngsters need to be made ready for the first team, and added to existing players signed on affordable contracts from a set budget. Any profit should be used on off-field ventures rather than frittered on extra players.

It's easy saying this before a ball has been kicked, but my feeling just now is that I would rather watch a sustainable, well run club in Division 2, than watch us chuck money away just to be mediocre in Division 1.

Is it really about where they get to or where they finish? or's it about how many players will be knocking on the first team door? Don't get me wrong i think he's done a good job, but surely it all comes down to the progression from 19's to first team that judgement really

comes down to.

Yes apparently so he only got. 6 player of the season awards

Also, see Lee Robinson in todays standard saying he wants to stay. Be another decent signing from Johnston, know a few aren't keen but i think we could do a hell of a lot worse than Robbo.

Is it really about where they get to or where they finish? or's it about how many players will be knocking on the first team door? Don't get me wrong i think he's done a good job, but surely it all comes down to the progression from 19's to first team that judgement really comes down to.

Also, see Lee Robinson in todays standard saying he wants to stay. Be another decent signing from Johnston, know a few aren't keen but i think we could do a hell of a loGt worse than Robbo.

Lets hope he doesnt read that post or weve got no chance

Apparently he got 7 player of the season awards from club an supporters clubs?