The Queen of the South thread

Speaking to Mark Robertson last night. Durnan and Mitchell on the verge of signing new deals, nobody expected to leave at Christmas although he thinks a few will go in the summer

He also appreciated me telling him, that I used to think he was tosser, but he's 'not bad' now!

Lol.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to one and all. Hope next year is as successful for you as the last six months of this one has been.

No hard feelings I just write, my thoughts and opinions and what I hear, you’re entitled to do the same.

Boxing day fixture, ah great, the first of our 4 games in ten days. This is where it will test the size and strength of squads as they have a number of games in quick succession. Four good performances and results over the festive season will really set us up to put this league to bed. It's now a two horse race and Alloa have a couple of tricky games coming up.

Let's start with a good performance today watched by a healthy vocal crowd with three points for us at the end.

Mon the South :)

Edited by Hawk

Well that's the first one taken care of, even though we made hard work of it in the first half. 4-4-2 suits us so much better and this showed in the second half as we pressed high up the pitch putting their defence under a lot of pressure.

Hope and think Ayr will do us a wee favour at the weekend, even though they seem to be a team in disarray at the moment.

Although it won't be easy I think we could pick up all nine points in the next three games. Alloa hopefully will not do the same in their fixtures, which I think look slightly more difficult.

A 14 point gap at the end of the transfer window would do us fine. ;)

Not sure how this has worked only the SFL will know this in there wisdom. Wednesday is our 3 league meeting with Ayr United but have only played Albion Rovers once.

I would say a large travelling support for our last visit to somerset for a few years

New Years games are always derby games. We play Albion ten days after the Ayr game and then again in February before our final game against Ayr in March. Not sure what the problem is really

How's Mark Durnan getting on?

Tremendously well. He has formed a formidable partnership with Chris Higgins. He is a rare beast at this level in that he looks composed on the ball, and looks to pass it out from the back not just hoof it forward. He is so calm, and confident it is hard to believe he is as young as he is.

A hell of a lot of the credit has to go to Higgins though who has been superb. The worst performance Durns has put in for us was in the Ramsdens Cup semi-final against Arbroath which Higgins missed through suspension. He looked considerably less confident, and put in a pretty ropey performance. I've also heard he wasn't at his best in our defeat away to Alloa a few weeks ago, but I wasn't their.

Tremendously well. He has formed a formidable partnership with Chris Higgins. He is a rare beast at this level in that he looks composed on the ball, and looks to pass it out from the back not just hoof it forward. He is so calm, and confident it is hard to believe he is as young as he is.

A hell of a lot of the credit has to go to Higgins though who has been superb. The worst performance Durns has put in for us was in the Ramsdens Cup semi-final against Arbroath which Higgins missed through suspension. He looked considerably less confident, and put in a pretty ropey performance. I've also heard he wasn't at his best in our defeat away to Alloa a few weeks ago, but I wasn't their.

Totally agree with all of that. Its hard to believe that Durnan has just turned 20, he's so composed.

But, as you say, a lot of the credit for our great defensive record has to go to Higgins. Hes the POTY, so far, for me. Given we have a striker whos just scored his 20th goal on Boxing Day, I think that speaks volumes for how good Higgins has been

I thought it was 6 months before the end of their current contract

Full-time contracts should normally expire on 30 June, according to the SFL rules. So that is maybe why pre-contracts are not normally signed before 1 January.

Full-time contracts should normally expire on 30 June, according to the SFL rules. So that is maybe why pre-contracts are not normally signed before 1 January.

Really? I didnt even know the SFL had rules about contract expiries.

Was it not, pretty much, common knowledge last season that had we made the play offs, contracts would have had to be extended? None of the contract expiry dates on the OS are the 30th June. Durnans is the 15th May, therefore, he would have been able to sign a PCA anytime after the 16th December - if the 6 months is correct.

Really? I didnt even know the SFL had rules about contract expiries.

Was it not, pretty much, common knowledge last season that had we made the play offs, contracts would have had to be extended? None of the contract expiry dates on the OS are the 30th June. Durnans is the 15th May, therefore, he would have been able to sign a PCA anytime after the 16th December - if the 6 months is correct.

Rule 127.

It does say "normally" so there is nothing to prevent them from expiring on a different date.

According to the same rule part-time contracts normally expire on 15 May.

ETA I think the 6 months comes from rule 131.2.

Edited by Flash

Higgins always gave 110% at Dunfermline, was usually a tremendously reliable cover apart from one game against Morton, he was playing with Keddie thoughdry.gif I'd imagine he'd stroll through the second division.

Tade is probably somewhere in his back pocket, still.