The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash

By that logic, the jury must then remain out, on Johnston.

No, what I meant was where there is any doubt over whether they were any good or not. With Johnston, there is no doubt.

And before Gus's record with St Mirren is cited, I mean how they got on after they left us. He clearly had not moved with the times, if he had been decent before.

Queens games that I was at that had penalty shoot-outs.

30/8/06 - Ayr (H) - Challenge Cup Round 2 - 2-2 Lost 5-4 pens

16/1/07 - Dundee (H) - Scottish Cup Round 3 Replay - 3-3 Won 4-2 pens

18/7/09 - Dumbarton (N) - Annan Tournament - 1-1 Won 7-6 pens

10/7/10 - Dunfermline (A) - Challenge Cup Round 2 - 1-1 Won 6-5 pens

18/9/12 - The Rangers (A) - Challenge Cup Quarter Final - 2-2 Won 4-3 pens

7/4/13 - Partick Thistle (N) - Challenge Cup Final - 1-1 Won 6-5 pens

Hi folks.

I have a signed shirt for auction in memory of my son LCpl Joe pool.

Home top signed by the squad,the auction is for to raise funds for Southwest Scotland rnr.

(Injured soldiers)there is a reserve price of £55 as that was the cost price of the shirt.

Anyone interested in bidding for the shirt then send your bid to roderickpool006@btinternet.com bidding closes on 21st april.

Thankyou. Rod.

Queens reserves drawing 0-0 with partick thistle black holt splatters and Orsi are all playing

Any updatesThey drew 0-0 heard that slattery played well and black . Orsi wasnt up to much . Edited by greigQOS

Only other one I can think of was Stenny away in the Challenge Cup in 1990, which we won.

So that would be 7 wins out of 8.

Did a little research. Penalty shoot outs competitively are as follows I think:

21/08/1990 v Dundee at Palmerston, League Cup. Won 4-1. Don't have detail of scorers but I'm sure Alan Davidson was in goal.

02/10/1990 v Stenhousemuir at Ochilview, Challenge Cup, Won 4-3. Wasn't at that one so have no further detail to hand.

15/10/1991 v Stirling Albion at Palmerston, Challenge Cup. Won 6-5. Only game I missed that season so again, no further details.

30/08/2006 v Ayr United at Palmerston, Challenge Cup. Lost 4-5. John O'Neill, Scott McKenzie, Eric Paton and Neil Scally scored for us but Andy Thomson missed the second kick. Vareille, Strain, Dunn, Forrest and Robertson scored for Ayr. Barry John Corr was in goal for us.

16/01/2007 v Dundee at Palmerston, Scottish Cup replay. Won 4-2. Paul Burns, Jim Thomson, Willie Gibson and Neil Scally all scored for us. Eric Paton missed the second kick. Bobby Mann scored for Dundee before Corr saved from Derek Lyle and Gary Smith. Paul Dixon scored their fourth.

10/08/2010 v Dunfermline Athletic at East End Park, Challenge Cup. Won 6-5. Bob Harris, Paul Burns, Rocco Quinn and Willie McLaren all scored. Andy Kirk, Nick Phinn and Callum Woods all scored for the Pars before David Graham's kick was saved by Lee Robinson. Neil Scally could have won it for us but Chris Smith saved his kick and Gary Mason then levelled it at 4-4. Craig Reid and Paul Willis made it 5-5 before Gavin Reilly, in one of his first games for us had his kick saved. Up stepped one Chris Higgins to win it for Dunfermline only for his now team-mate Lee Robinson to save again. Ryan McGuffie scored our 8th and then Andy Dowie hit the bar with his. Interestingly Lee Robinson was booked during this penalty shoot out for delaying the taking of the first kick!

18/09/2012 v Rangers at Ibrox, Challenge Cup. Won 4-3. Derek Lyle hit the bar with our first but Derek Young, Nicky Clark, Gavin Reilly and Ryan McGuffie all scored. Lee McCulloch scored Rangers first but Lee Robinson then saved Dean Sheils kick. Ian Black and Kal Naismith scored before Argyriou hit the post with their 5th.

07/04/2013 v Partick Thistle at Livingston, Challenge Cup. Won 6-5. Young, Fitzpatrick, Robinson, Reilly, Mitchell and Higgins scored for us. Carmichael had the second kick saved.

So yes, as you say, eight official shoot outs, seven wins. Curiously three shoot outs in a year from October 90 to October 91 and then we weren't in another one for nearly 15 years! Then 2 in the same 06/07 season, one in 2010 and two this season.

Some other observations:

Lee Robinson has been in goal for the last three and won them all.

Derek Lyle has missed penalties both for and against us in shoot outs!

Chris Higgins has missed against us when he could have won the shoot out but scored for us to ultimately win.

In the recent group, Gavin Reilly and Neil Scally have both taken three penalties for us and scored two of them. Eric Paton (one goal, one miss), Paul Burns (two goals), Ryan McGuffie (two goals) and Derek Young (two goals) have all hit two penalties.

Friendly Competition Penalty Shoot Outs:

15/07/2001 v Livingston, Annan Tournament. Won 5-3 (John O'Neill, Peter Weatherson, Warren Hake, Jon Crawford and Paddy Atkinson scored for us, Colin Scott saved one of the Livi kicks).

14/07/2002 v Kilmarnock, Annan Tournament. Lost 4-2 (Andy Aitken and Jon Crawford scored but Paddy Atkinson and Brian McLaughlin both missed the target)

15/07/2006 v Annan Athletic, Annan Tournament, Won 4-1 Willie Gibson, Michael Mullen, Scott McKenzie and Eric Paton scored for us. Our keeper was a trialist called Green from Sheffield United who saved two of their three kicks.

15/07/2007 v Stranraer, Annan Tournament, Won 5-4 (John O'Neill, Stevie Tosh, David Bingham, Eric Paton and Sean O'Connor scored for us, Stephen Grindlay saved their first kick).

18/07/2009 v Dumbarton, Annan Tournament, Won 7-6 (Paul Burns (Missed), David Weatherston, Robbie Winters (Missed), Willie McLaren, Stevie Tosh, David Lilley, Derek Holmes, Marc McAusland and Craig Reid took our kicks, David Hutton saved their first, second and ninth kicks).

So we've won four and lost one of the Annan shoot outs. We definately lost a Borders Cup shoot out to Albion Rovers if we go far enough back too. Not sure if we won any in that tournament. That would suggest an overall record, including friendlies, of 11 wins and 3 losses in penalty shoot outs. We appear to do well in them!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Who was number 8 today he looked a decent little player didn't think the striker number 11 was up to much seemed quite lazy orsi seemed ok jim Atkinson doesn't fill me with confidence either as a back up

21/08/1991 v Dundee at Palmerston, League Cup. Won 4-1. Don't have detail of scorers but I'm sure Alan Davidson was in goal.

15/10/1991 v Stirling Albion at Palmerston, Challenge Cup. Won 6-5. Only game I missed that season so again, no further details.

Can't fill in many gaps using my dodgy memory, but that won't stop me trying:

I'm pretty sure Billy Dodds missed in the Dundee one. He was one of the niggliest wee shits in the Scottish game at the time, so it was quite satisfying.

Against Stirling, I'm sure Andy Thomson scored with one into the top corner and I think it was the clincher, but I could be wrong on that.

Can't fill in many gaps using my dodgy memory, but that won't stop me trying:

I'm pretty sure Billy Dodds missed in the Dundee one. He was one of the niggliest wee shits in the Scottish game at the time, so it was quite satisfying.

Against Stirling, I'm sure Andy Thomson scored with one into the top corner and I think it was the clincher, but I could be wrong on that.

I was at the Dundee one. You are right, Dodds definitely played and took a penalty which Davidson saved I think. I have a feeling it was only his second game for Dundee at the time and he'd only just come up from Chelsea's reserves but I could be wrong. I also remember Alan Davidson bemoning in the press that he was down to take our 5th that night and was annoyed that his saving three of the first four meant he didn't actually get to take one himself!

I wasn't at the Stirling one but I have it in my head that Henry Templeton got the clincher. Be surprised if Thomson hadn't hit one of the initial five?

Who was number 8 today he looked a decent little player didn't think the striker number 11 was up to much seemed quite lazy orsi seemed ok jim Atkinson doesn't fill me with confidence either as a back up

. Think no.11 was Dean Smith,don't agree he was lazy at all. A skill full wee player who has a great left peg and always looks dangerous around the box. By far the most likely to score today. Holty done ok as did Steven Black though to be honest Partick offered very little threat up front. Atkinson had one save to make as far as I can remember so unsure where your comment comes from. I expected a bit more from Orsi considering the level he was playing against although he did play a bit better 2nd half..best player on the park was Slattery,bags of energy ,works hard and has a bit of quality about him. Can't be far away from a first team start and wouldn't be surprised if he got some between now and end of season. Pitch looked very hard and dry,made the decision to go 3G more valid for me.

The player of the year awards will be very close this season. Who is everyone going to vote for. My player of year will be Derek young. Young player mark Durnan . Goal of the season either Paton at Brechin or lyle against Ayr I think was a cracker

The player of the year awards will be very close this season. Who is everyone going to vote for. My player of year will be Derek young. Young player mark Durnan . Goal of the season either Paton at Brechin or lyle against Ayr I think was a cracker

Hardest POTY ever I would imagine, Nicky Clark for me for Player of the year and Durnan for young player. Goal of the season for me would be paton at Brechin his 2nd goal or Danny at Ayr left foot top bag.

Did a little research. Penalty shoot outs competitively are as follows I think:

02/10/1990 v Stenhousemuir at Ochilview, Challenge Cup, Won 4-3. Wasn't at that one so have no further detail to hand.

21/08/1991 v Dundee at Palmerston, League Cup. Won 4-1. Don't have detail of scorers but I'm sure Alan Davidson was in goal.

30/08/2006 v Ayr United at Palmerston, Challenge Cup. Lost 4-5. John O'Neill, Scott McKenzie, Eric Paton and Neil Scally scored for us but Andy Thomson missed the second kick. Vareille, Strain, Dunn, Forrest and Robertson scored for Ayr. Barry John Corr was in goal for us.

16/01/2007 v Dundee at Palmerston, Scottish Cup replay. Won 4-2. Paul Burns, Jim Thomson, Willie Gibson and Neil Scally all scored for us. Eric Paton missed the second kick. Bobby Mann scored for Dundee before Corr saved from Derek Lyle and Gary Smith. Paul Dixon scored their fourth.

10/08/2010 v Dunfermline Athletic at East End Park, Challenge Cup. Won 6-5. Bob Harris, Paul Burns, Rocco Quinn and Willie McLaren all scored. Andy Kirk, Nick Phinn and Callum Woods all scored for the Pars before David Graham's kick was saved by Lee Robinson. Neil Scally could have won it for us but Chris Smith saved his kick and Gary Mason then levelled it at 4-4. Craig Reid and Paul Willis made it 5-5 before Gavin Reilly, in one of his first games for us had his kick saved. Up stepped one Chris Higgins to win it for Dunfermline only for his now team-mate Lee Robinson to save again. Ryan McGuffie scored our 8th and then Andy Dowie hit the bar with his. Interestingly Lee Robinson was booked during this penalty shoot out for delaying the taking of the first kick!

18/09/2012 v Rangers at Ibrox, Challenge Cup. Won 4-3. Derek Lyle hit the bar with our first but Derek Young, Nicky Clark, Gavin Reilly and Ryan McGuffie all scored. Lee McCulloch scored Rangers first but Lee Robinson then saved Dean Sheils kick. Ian Black and Kal Naismith scored before Argyriou hit the post with their 5th.

07/04/2013 v Partick Thistle at Livingston, Challenge Cup. Won 6-5. Young, Fitzpatrick, Robinson, Reilly, Mitchell and Higgins scored for us. Carmichael had the second kick saved.

So yes, as you say, eight official shoot outs, seven wins. Curiously three shoot outs in a year from October 90 to October 91 and then we weren't in another one for nearly 15 years! Then 2 in the same 06/07 season, one in 2010 and two this season.

Some other observations:

Lee Robinson has been in goal for the last three and won them all.

Derek Lyle has missed penalties both for and against us in shoot outs!

Chris Higgins has missed against us when he could have won the shoot out but scored for us to ultimately win.

In the recent group, Gavin Reilly and Neil Scally have both taken three penalties for us and scored two of them. Eric Paton (one goal, one miss), Paul Burns (two goals), Ryan McGuffie (two goals) and Derek Young (two goals) have all hit two penalties.

Friendly Competition Penalty Shoot Outs:

15/07/2001 v Livingston, Annan Tournament. Won 5-3 (John O'Neill, Peter Weatherson, Warren Hake, Jon Crawford and Paddy Atkinson scored for us, Colin Scott saved one of the Livi kicks).

14/07/2002 v Kilmarnock, Annan Tournament. Lost 4-2 (Andy Aitken and Jon Crawford scored but Paddy Atkinson and Brian McLaughlin both missed the target)

15/07/2006 v Annan Athletic, Annan Tournament, Won 4-1 No details of scorers for us but our keeper was a trialist called Green from Sheffield United who saved two of their three kicks.

15/07/2007 v Stranraer, Annan Tournament, Won 5-4 (John O'Neill, Stevie Tosh, David Bingham, Eric Paton and Sean O'Connor scored for us, Stephen Grindlay saved their first kick).

18/07/2009 v Dumbarton, Annan Tournament, Won 7-6 (Paul Burns (Missed), David Weatherston, Robbie Winters (Missed), Willie McLaren, Stevie Tosh, David Lilley, Derek Holmes, Marc McAusland and Craig Reid took our kicks, David Hutton saved their first, second and ninth kicks).

So we've won four and lost one of the Annan shoot outs. We definately lost a Borders Cup shoot out to Albion Rovers if we go far enough back too. Not sure if we won any in that tournament. That would suggest an overall record, including friendlies, of 11 wins and 3 losses in penalty shoot outs. We appear to do well in them!

I seem to recall at the Ayr one, Corr never looked like getting anywhere near any of the pens.

POTY is a tough one indeed. McKenna is right up there with his performances recently but the most consistent and, arguably, important player for us all season has been Higgins.

I think there are several candidates you could make a very good case for Player of the Year for (Clark, McKenna, Young, Mitchell, Higgins for sure. Maybe Durnan and Robinson too). McGuffie might not even feature in our first choice eleven and yet has played most games and made crucial contributions all year. Reilly and Lyle are both in the mid-teens for goalscoring and I've not mentioned them!

If ever there was a case for just giving player of the year to the whole squad in total this is it.

As I've posted before, I'll be very interested to see which other players make the PFA Awards Team of the Year for the division. I guess we probably haven't picked a consistent enough second striker, left winger and possibly even left back so there are opportunities for other clubs to get nominations in those areas plus perhaps goalkeeper where in league terms Robinson hasn't had to be tested all that often, though he's never been found wanting when he has been and his cup performances have been outstanding.

My player of the season would once again be Chris Higgins. If the season had started in January then McKenna would probably have just edged him, but Higgins has been consistently brilliant from the first match. Others in that category would be Young and Mitchell. Durnan for young player without a shadow of a doubt. Holt and Reilly have continued to develop well, but have been in and out of the team too much to be genuine contenders. I suppose the top scorer in the entire country not getting recognition is a bit of a travesty so I suppose Clark might end up getting the young player award.

I'm pretty rubbish at remembering specific goals unless they really stood out. So my goal of the season would be Clark at home to Arbroath in the game we came back from being a goal and a man down at half time. Brilliant build up play, and some "Dobbie-esque" footwork in the box, followed by a composed finish.

Carmichael's up in Ayr was a peach, but I wasn't at that game to witness it in the flesh. Others that I can remember are the most recent visit to Stair Park both Lyle and Clark scored crackers in that game, and as mentioned Paton against Brechin.

I'm not sure if cup goals qualify but Clark's goal against Kilmarnock was another fantastic team goal.

Guest Flash

If ever there was a case for just giving player of the year to the whole squad in total this is it.

This.

Goal of the season for me was Danny at Ayr. Lyle's in the same match was quality, but Danny's came after running half the length of the pitch. I've not seen all 100 goals, though.

BTW thanks for the research on the penalty shoot-outs.