The Queen of the South thread

Record Watch Update

Last night's defeat at Stenhousemuir changes a few things. Firstly the attempt to beat our longest ever total unbeaten league game run of 20 ends at 18 matches, though we did set a new record for longest unbeaten run in a single league season. Two goals conceded means we're now at 21 for the season but can still afford to conceded nine in the last three games and set a record. One goal scored moves us to 85 (and 103 in all competitions) so the target of 99 in 36 games is looking less and less likely as it needs 14 goals in three matches. Nine more goals would beat the post-war best though. Goal difference is down to +64, but still 19 better than our existing record.

Club Records Already Set:

All time record points total for a season was 67 achieved in the 2001-02 championship season. We are now on 85 points with three games to go.

Latest First League Defeat in a season. We didn't lose our first league game until December 11th. The previous record was November 9th.

(Tied Record) Most Games Unbeaten from the Start of the Season. We were beaten in our 14th League game which matches the 13 game unbeaten start to 1985/86.

Most wins in a season - 24 in 1961/62. Present total is 27.

Record Unbeaten Run in a Season - 16 games in 1950/51. New record set of 18 games, ended at Stenhousemuir.

Earliest Date for Clinching a League Title - 20th April 2002 was the previous earliest (it was 28th April 1951). This one was clinched on 27th March 2013.

Most points in a season using 2 points for a win - 55 in 85/86 (which was a 39 game season). Our present record equates to 58.

Least defeats in a season - 5 in 1932/33. Best post war is 6 in 1950/51. Present total is 2 (with three games left this is now certain to be at least tied)

Several other records remain possible:

Least goals conceded in a league season - 31 in 1923/24 but that was a 30 game season. 33 in a 38 game season in 74/75 is probably better. Our present total is 21.

Most goals scored in a season - 99 in 1931/32. Best post war is 94 in 1959/60. Present total is 85.

Best goal difference in a season - +45 in 1961/62. Present GD is +64.

(RECORD CAN'T NOW BE BEATEN AFTER LAST NIGHT) Record Unbeaten League Run Total - 20 games including the 16 above and adding 4 more to start 1951/52. As above present record is 18 with 4 games left.

Record Unbeaten Run at Home (League Only) - 18 games. Present record is 17 with one home game left this season.

Happy to hear of any corrections in the above existing records? I might have missed something or there may be errors in the source data somewhere.

Pity about Willie. It just never really happened for him. It was there but he just never quite grasped it.

Is there more to this? Seems a bit strange to be released "by mutual consent" with only a few games left in the season. Will another club give him a short term contract until the Summer?

Guest Flash

Is there more to this? Seems a bit strange to be released "by mutual consent" with only a few games left in the season. Will another club give him a short term contract until the Summer?

He did his hamstring against Brechin, so he might not play again this season anyway.

Great start for next season with the re-signing of these 4 players and plus Holt and Burns who are already under contract.

Not that disappointed about Gibson going but good luck to him in getting a new club.

Hoping for more good news about players re-signing in the coming weeks.

Will the trophy presentation be at Palmerston against East Fife on the 27th of April?

I've never seen another team be presented with a trophy in a game against East Fife so that would be quite cool. I would normally think that's a bit unfortunate as I remember us fighting tooth and nail to win our trophy presentation game against Arbroath a few years ago even after the league was long wrapped up but in the current circumstances, I doubt that'll make much difference.

Will the trophy presentation be at Palmerston against East Fife on the 27th of April?

I've never seen another team be presented with a trophy in a game against East Fife so that would be quite cool. I would normally think that's a bit unfortunate as I remember us fighting tooth and nail to win our trophy presentation game against Arbroath a few years ago even after the league was long wrapped up but in the current circumstances, I doubt that'll make much difference.

Trophies ;)

Yes, we will be presented with both the league and Ramsdens Cup trophies at the East Fife game

Ok lads, firstly congratulations on your 'double'.

Myself and three fellow Sunderland fans are coming up a week on Saturday to see the game v East Fife. We are booked into the travel lodge a mile or so out of town and are going to sample your real ale and your football and we are all looking forward to it.

Question is this, we will be arriving into town fairly early and hope to drop the car off and walk into town from there. Would we better off going straight to the ground and getting some match tickets sorted before we drop the car off? and if so what time will the ticket office be open? or is it just easier to pay on the gate?

Edited by Roker Rover

Ok lads, firstly congratulations on your 'double'.

Myself and three fellow Sunderland fans are coming up a week on Saturday to see the game v East Fife. We are booked into the travel lodge a mile or so out of town and are going to sample your real ale and your football and we are all looking forward to it.

Question is this, we will be arriving into town fairly early and hope to drop the car off and walk into town from there. Would we better off going straight to the ground and getting some match tickets sorted before we drop the car off? and if so what time will the ticket office be open? or is it just easier to pay on the gate?

You will be able to do one or the other, you won't have a choice in it. Typically for league games the matches are ticket only, with no cash taken at the gate. You need to purchase a ticket from one of the two ticket booths outside the ground from about 1:30 onwards. However, for the bigger crowd games so far we've gone back to cash at the gate turnstiles and it may be with a big crowd expected on the trophy presentation weekend we might do the same for this league game. It is not yet decided. Either way I'd recommend getting to the ground fairly early as it is likely to be far busier than usual.

You will be able to do one or the other, you won't have a choice in it. Typically for league games the matches are ticket only, with no cash taken at the gate. You need to purchase a ticket from one of the two ticket booths outside the ground from about 1:30 onwards. However, for the bigger crowd games so far we've gone back to cash at the gate turnstiles and it may be with a big crowd expected on the trophy presentation weekend we might do the same for this league game. It is not yet decided. Either way I'd recommend getting to the ground fairly early as it is likely to be far busier than usual.

Cheers SD. As I said we are all looking forward to this. I know Dumfries is a nice town, although I was about 15 last time I was there, so well over 30 years now, so I am looking forward to a good day out and to see a couple of trophy presentations is a nice bonus. Also glad we are getting to see a game on grass at Palmerston as I am not a fan of these artificial surfaces personally.

Two of us went to a game at Annan earlier in the season and the plan is to do a couple of Scottish games at a new ground every season when Sunderland are not playing or at an away game we are not attending.

Cheers SD. As I said we are all looking forward to this. I know Dumfries is a nice town, although I was about 15 last time I was there, so well over 30 years now, so I am looking forward to a good day out and to see a couple of trophy presentations is a nice bonus. Also glad we are getting to see a game on grass at Palmerston as I am not a fan of these artificial surfaces personally.

Two of us went to a game at Annan earlier in the season and the plan is to do a couple of Scottish games at a new ground every season when Sunderland are not playing or at an away game we are not attending.

Funny you could potentially be attending Queens' last competitive game on grass at Palmerston then before we go to 3G next year!

Guest Flash

Our results on grass this season are played 37, lost 2 - a loss rate of 5.4% (both defeats to SPL teams, one when we played for 89 mins with 10 men).

Results on 3G this season are played 6, lost 2 - a loss rate of 33.3%.

Refining that, our loss rate on the Alloa and Stenny pitches is 50% and our loss rate on the Forfar one (to date) is 0%.

Of course, the 3G sample of matches is much smaller than the grass one.