The Queen of the South thread

Got to love this time of year the rumour mill begins, who would everyone like to see us target this summer player wise

I heard a rumour that Messi was all set to sign but pulled out when he heard we were ripping up the grass.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

What a season for Nicky Clark 38 goals not even a pen in the total so far.

Do we get a fee for Nicky Clark if he goes

He is 21 thought the rule was that if under 23 then we would get a fee for him

Presuming we offer him terms at least equal to what he is on, we will be entitled to a development fee. He's only been here 2 years though, so it won't be huge.

Record Watch Update

We bounced back with a 4-0 win at Forfar this weekend. Avoiding defeat confirms that we will break the previous club record for least defeats in a season as we can't lose more than four now. Another clean sheet and big win means the least goals conceded in a season and best goal difference are near certainties to fall also. We need to score ten goals in two games to match our best ever league total for a season but five goals would match the best post-war total which considering the offside rule now in the game would be quite an achievement in itself. We also need to avoid defeat to East Fife on Saturday to match our existing club record for consecutive home league games without defeat. Nicky Clark needs just three more goals to match the club single season scoring record too.

Club Records Already Set:

All time record points total for a season was 67 achieved in the 2001-02 championship season. We are now on 88 points with two games to go.

Latest First League Defeat in a season. We didn't lose our first league game until December 11th. The previous record was November 9th.

(Tied Record) Most Games Unbeaten from the Start of the Season. We were beaten in our 14th League game which matches the 13 game unbeaten start to 1985/86.

Most wins in a season - 24 in 1961/62. Present total is 28.

Record Unbeaten Run in a Season - 16 games in 1950/51. New record set of 18 games, ended at Stenhousemuir.

Earliest Date for Clinching a League Title - 20th April 2002 was the previous earliest (it was 28th April 1951). This one was clinched on 27th March 2013.

Most points in a season using 2 points for a win - 55 in 85/86 (which was a 39 game season). Our present record equates to 60.

Least defeats in a season - 5 in 1932/33. Best post war is 6 in 1950/51. Present total is 2 (with two games left this is now certain to be broken)

Several other records remain possible:

Least goals conceded in a league season - 31 in 1923/24 but that was a 30 game season. 33 in a 38 game season in 74/75 is probably better. Our present total is 21 and seems certain to break the existing record barring a ten goal collapse in the final two weeks.

Most goals scored in a season - 99 in 1931/32. Best post war is 94 in 1959/60. Present total is 89. The post war total is certainly possible with games against the bottom two to come. The overall record is unlikely now as it would take ten goals scored in two weeks.

Best goal difference in a season - +45 in 1961/62. Present GD is +68. Again, we'd be hard pushed not to beat this now as we'd need to lose by 23 goals over the last two games combined not to beat it.

Record Unbeaten Run at Home (League Only) - 18 games. Present record is 17 with one home game left this season.

Most Goals for an Individual in a Season (All Competitions) - J Rutherford 41 goals, Nicky Clark is on 38 goals with two games to go and might yet take this.

Happy to hear of any corrections in the above existing records? I might have missed something or there may be errors in the source data somewhere.

How do folk think this seasons team compares with the cup final team from 2008? Difficult to compare, but think think this seasons is much stronger...could only really see macdonald, harris and dobbie being regulars in this seasons team

We debated this before somewhere, not sure if it's further back on this thread or in a different one somewhere.

Personally I think the current squad is much stronger than the 2008 squad but I'm not sure the first eleven is any better. It's better in places but I'd still probably have more of the 08 side than the 13 side I think. I'd certainly take this season's bench over that season's though. In fact there are players not even making the bench this season who would have definitely made the bench then.

Chris Mitchell is the only one of the current outfield players I'd definitely pick ahead of the 2008 team, though there are a few who could easily step in and be equivalent. I might well take one or both centre halves too but that's a more marginal call.

I would have more of this side than 08. Harris and Dobbie are the only 2 that would get in for me (Burns would go in at right mid). I suppose I'd also have Tosh ahead of Young. So:

Robinson

Mitchell Durnan Higgins Harris

Burns Mckenna Tosh Carmichael

Dobbie Clark

Subs: MacDonald O'Connor Macfarlane Young Thomson

This team is FAR better than the 2008 one.

Don't agree. That was a bloody good side that spent a couple of years underachieving, due largely to the pillock in charge of them.

SD's called it pretty much right. Our current squad is stronger, but our first eleven then was better. There's perhaps some debate about defenders, but elsewhere, the '08 version was a better side.

As I've said before, it seems weird that nobody would swap our strikers given that Clark's on the brink of breaking all-time records.

Dobbie was that good however, and O'Connor wasn't bad either.

Don't agree. That was a bloody good side that spent a couple of years underachieving, due largely to the pillock in charge of them.

SD's called it pretty much right. Our current squad is stronger, but our first eleven then was better. There's perhaps some debate about defenders, but elsewhere, the '08 version was a better side.

As I've said before, it seems weird that nobody would swap our strikers given that Clark's on the brink of breaking all-time records.

Dobbie was that good however, and O'Connor wasn't bad either.

Astonishing as Clark's exploits this year have been (and he has scored against Hibernian, Kilmarnock, Morton, Thistle and Rangers, not just second division defences), Dobbie and O'Connor were our best striking pairing in my lifetime bar none. Whilst injury finally killed off O'Connor's career within months of the Cup Final, at the time we played it he was right up there amongst the best forwards in Scotland and was a perfect foil for the supremely talented Dobbie too. It wasn't a pacy front line in the way all three strikers this season are, but it didn't need to be.

Elsewhere Tosh is a far better footballer than anyone we currently have, even Young. He also had a good partnership with Macfarlane who was underrated in his own ability. I'm not sure I'd break it up by choice. McKenna is more mobile but he doesn't have the football ability those two had. The 2008 Burns would get in on the right for me. The 2013 one has rarely hit those heights (but he played really well yesterday) and there's an argument that Carmichael is more exciting and skillful. The current squad hasn't until recently really established a left midfielder. Paton has done well there but really only played half a dozen games so far. Given his very strong partnership with Harris I'd probably stick with McQuilken.

Mitchell is an easy shout for right back and good a prospect as Holt is, Harris is an easy call at left back. I think I'd have gone with JT at centre half and he's all right sided it would probably be Higgins shading out Aitken to partner him but you could just about throw a hat over the four centre halves and not go far wrong.

Likewise at goalkeeper where I wouldn't be worried either way whether we went with Jamie MacDonald or Lee Robinson.

MacDonald or Robinson

Mitchell --- Thomson --- Higgins --- Harris

Burns --- Macfarlane --- Tosh --- McQuilken

Dobbie --- O'Connor

But my whole subs bench would be from the current squad:

The other keeper, Holt or Durnan, McKenna, Carmichael, Clark, probably but McGuffie, Young, Paton, Lyle, Reilly would all be way ahead of anything else from the 08 group too.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Astonishing as Clark's exploits this year have been (and he has scored against Hibernian, Kilmarnock, Morton, Thistle and Rangers, not just second division defences), Dobbie and O'Connor were our best striking pairing in my lifetime bar none. Whilst injury finally killed off O'Connor's career within months of the Cup Final, at the time we played it he was right up there amongst the best forwards in Scotland and was a perfect foil for the supremely talented Dobbie too. It wasn't a pacy front line in the way all three strikers this season are, but it didn't need to be.

Elsewhere Tosh is a far better footballer than anyone we currently have, even Young. He also had a good partnership with Macfarlane who was underrated in his own ability. I'm not sure I'd break it up by choice. McKenna is more mobile but he doesn't have the football ability those two had. The 2008 Burns would get in on the right for me. The 2013 one has rarely hit those heights (but he played really well yesterday) and there's an argument that Carmichael is more exciting and skillful. The current squad hasn't until recently really established a left midfielder. Paton has done well there but really only played half a dozen games so far. Given his very strong partnership with Harris I'd probably stick with McQuilken.

Mitchell is an easy shout for right back and good a prospect as Holt is, Harris is an easy call at left back. I think I'd have gone with JT at centre half and he's all right sided it would probably be Higgins shading out Aitken to partner him but you could just about throw a hat over the four centre halves and not go far wrong.

Likewise at goalkeeper where I wouldn't be worried either way whether we went with Jamie MacDonald or Lee Robinson.

MacDonald or Robinson

Mitchell --- Thomson --- Higgins --- Harris

Burns --- Macfarlane --- Tosh --- McQuilken

Dobbie --- O'Connor

But my whole subs bench would be from the current squad:

The other keeper, Holt or Durnan, McKenna, Carmichael, Clark, probably but McGuffie, Young, Paton, Lyle, Reilly would all be way ahead of anything else from the 08 group too.

Really good post SD. I suspect Durnan might go on to be the best of all the central defenders. He`s been outstanding this season and absolutely strolled through the game yesterday, not for the first time. Really classy player.