The Queen of the South thread

Record Watch Update

We bounced back with a 4-0 win at Forfar this weekend. Avoiding defeat confirms that we will break the previous club record for least defeats in a season as we can't lose more than four now. Another clean sheet and big win means the least goals conceded in a season and best goal difference are near certainties to fall also. We need to score ten goals in two games to match our best ever league total for a season but five goals would match the best post-war total which considering the offside rule now in the game would be quite an achievement in itself. We also need to avoid defeat to East Fife on Saturday to match our existing club record for consecutive home league games without defeat. Nicky Clark needs just three more goals to match the club single season scoring record too.

Club Records Already Set:

All time record points total for a season was 67 achieved in the 2001-02 championship season. We are now on 88 points with two games to go.

Latest First League Defeat in a season. We didn't lose our first league game until December 11th. The previous record was November 9th.

(Tied Record) Most Games Unbeaten from the Start of the Season. We were beaten in our 14th League game which matches the 13 game unbeaten start to 1985/86.

Most wins in a season - 24 in 1961/62. Present total is 28.

Record Unbeaten Run in a Season - 16 games in 1950/51. New record set of 18 games, ended at Stenhousemuir.

Earliest Date for Clinching a League Title - 20th April 2002 was the previous earliest (it was 28th April 1951). This one was clinched on 27th March 2013.

Most points in a season using 2 points for a win - 55 in 85/86 (which was a 39 game season). Our present record equates to 60.

Least defeats in a season - 5 in 1932/33. Best post war is 6 in 1950/51. Present total is 2 (with two games left this is now certain to be broken)

Several other records remain possible:

Least goals conceded in a league season - 31 in 1923/24 but that was a 30 game season. 33 in a 38 game season in 74/75 is probably better. Our present total is 21 and seems certain to break the existing record barring a ten goal collapse in the final two weeks.

Most goals scored in a season - 99 in 1931/32. Best post war is 94 in 1959/60. Present total is 89. The post war total is certainly possible with games against the bottom two to come. The overall record is unlikely now as it would take ten goals scored in two weeks.

Best goal difference in a season - +45 in 1961/62. Present GD is +68. Again, we'd be hard pushed not to beat this now as we'd need to lose by 23 goals over the last two games combined not to beat it.

Record Unbeaten Run at Home (League Only) - 18 games. Present record is 17 with one home game left this season.

Most Goals for an Individual in a Season (All Competitions) - J Rutherford 41 goals, Nicky Clark is on 38 goals with two games to go and might yet take this.

Happy to hear of any corrections in the above existing records? I might have missed something or there may be errors in the source data somewhere.

Here is a correction for you,and it probably sets a new record (of embarasment),whens the last time the club have charged £15 to have a shirt signed ? .

Edited by weeredbook

£210 NOW. :thumsup2

winning bid ended at £210 absolutely delighted with that and also had £70 in pledges which will cover the cost of the top.

so £225 will go in to the fundraising pot for southwest scotland rnr.

i also have jamie mcdonalds top standing at £510 which is fantastic.

i have wee bobs blackpool top signed by his blackpool team mates will be starting that one soon if anyone is interested in that pm me and i will keep them up to date with that.

once again i would like to thankyou all for the marvelous support for our brave troops.

once again thankyou

Rod.

p.s. have not named winning bidder out of respect until i get his permission

Macdonald

Mitchell Durnan Higgins Harris

Burns Tosh Macfarlane Carmichael

Dobbie O'Connor

Robinson isn't far behind Macdonald, and there isn't much in it between Macfarlane, Young and McKenna. Neilly Mac was an unsung hero though who wasn't really appreciated (perhaps because he pushed fans favourite Scally out of the team?).

Guest Flash

Really good post SD. I suspect Durnan might go on to be the best of all the central defenders. He`s been outstanding this season and absolutely strolled through the game yesterday, not for the first time. Really classy player.

There is no way on this earth that Thomson should be picked ahead of Durnan.

Durnan has the odd rash moment, but fewer than Thomson. He can pass the ball and Thomson couldn't. He has far greater composure and scores more goals.

Apart from that, yes, Thomson was better.

i also have jamie mcdonalds top standing at £510 which is fantastic.

i have wee bobs blackpool top signed by his blackpool team mates

Out of interest, was a fee required to secure the signatures of the Hearts and Blackpool players?

Well done on the money raised so far.

Macdonald

Burns Tosh Macfarlane Carmichael

Dobbie O'Connor

Robinson isn't far behind Macdonald, and there isn't much in it between Macfarlane, Young and McKenna. Neilly Mac was an unsung hero though who wasn't really appreciated (perhaps because he pushed fans favourite Scally out of the team?).

Not that dissimilar to my team below:

MacDonald/Robinson

Burns Tosh McKenna Carmichael

Dobbie Clark

I can't separate the keepers. In general, I think Robinson is more likely to make mistakes than MacDonald but the former is also probably able to pull off a few saves that the latter could not manage.

Out of interest, was a fee required to secure the signatures of the Hearts and Blackpool players?

Well done on the money raised so far.

Getting rather bored of his subject, let's move on the shirt has probably raised more from donations because of the £15 as well as the actual shirt bid.

Another good effort for charity.

I must admit that much as I liked the Cup Final team in my view it was way behind the current team in terms of ability, fitness, team spirit and will to win. That team under Gordon Chisholm was a very inconsistent one and invariably ended up at the wrong end of the Div 1 league Table despite enjoying a pretty favourable salary budget. It failed to deliver consistent results and while it was capable of scaling the heights in one off matches I was largely disappointed with the lack of achievement notwithstanding a wonderful cup run.

I was surprised at Skyline's hypothetical team selection when combining the two teams and picking a mystical "best 11".

Goalie for me undoubtedly Lee Robinson.

Back four - Mitchell, Durnan, Higgins and Holt - I had great respect for JT but Durnan looks a class act to me. I have picked Holt ahead of Harris which most people will disagree with but I actually think that Holt has more to offer.................great engine, good in air, gets forward , good tackler and potentially a better player than Harris IMHO. Look at our goals against column - there is no way that the Chisholm team could have delivered this type of consistency.

Midfield - an easy choice for me - Burns, Tosh McKenna and Carmichael..............no contest for me in picking McKenna over McFarlane and Carmichael has to surely be in ahead of McQuilken who was workmanlike but limited

Up front - Dobbie and Clark. I really rated Sean but the reality is that Nicky is a much more naturally gifted player, Tremendous pace, great work ethic, his touch and goal scoring capability is in a different league to Sean

Subs McDonald, JT, Young, O Connor, Harris

Only Tosh, Burns and Dobbie in the combined select for me reflecting the fact that this team is by far and away the best QOS team in over 30 years+.

Just my opinion!!!!

Getting rather bored of his subject, let's move on

I think that 'A Lore Burne' is getting a bit tired as a motto and we need to "move on" and find a new one.

How about "Let's Move On".

I keep hearing it with regard to our club these days, whenever people associated with it behave in a shameful way.

I must admit that much as I liked the Cup Final team in my view it was way behind the current team in terms of ability, fitness, team spirit and will to win. That team under Gordon Chisholm was a very inconsistent one and invariably ended up at the wrong end of the Div 1 league Table despite enjoying a pretty favourable salary budget. It failed to deliver consistent results and while it was capable of scaling the heights in one off matches I was largely disappointed with the lack of achievement notwithstanding a wonderful cup run.

I was surprised at Skyline's hypothetical team selection when combining the two teams and picking a mystical "best 11".

It didn't maybe keep up it for a whole individual season the way the current one has (but then the current one is playing 9 part time sides a level down) but the idea that the 07-08 side produced a cup run and not much else is a fallacy. In the second half of that season prior to the Cup Final itself the team won 12, drew 5 and lost just 3 of its last 20 games. And one of those was 4-0 at Dunfermline in the final game when we basically fielded a reserve team. The only other two defeats were both midweek, 2-1 at St Johnstone three days after the epic Dundee Q-F win and 1-0 to a late goal at Livingston just before the Aberdeen semi final. For good measure it then started the 08-09 season like a train too and was top of the league in October with only one league defeat before it all fell apart with the long winless run everybody remembers now. Never the less, over 10 months it was a very consistent run of excellent form.

Gordon Chisholm's three seasons in charge saw us finish 4th, 5th and 4th (Brannigan in charge for the last two months) incidentally. Rather than "invariably" ending up at the wrong end of the table they in fact never did so, though it might be argued that even those three placings were under-achievement.

It's too easy IMO to dismiss that side as overpaid and underachieving. For a decent long spell it was outstanding and personally I still put a lot of the issues the following season down to O'Connor's injury against Ross County not long after we came back from Denmark that basically finished him. That and the fact that the replacements for MacDonald (Halliwell initially) and McCann (Parratt or McGowan) were never good enough and the likes of JT and possibly Macfarlane were on the wane in playing terms. The eleven that came together for the second half of the 07-08 season though were tremendous and whilst this side is currently more exciting, it still has a lot to do next season if it stays together to prove it's quite at that level. As I said though, although I'd pick more 08 players than 13 ones right at this moment, there is a lot more potential for getting better in the current group and there are a good few I'd happily pick without really weakening anything.

I'm not having it that Dobbie and Clark would be a better pairing than Dobbie and O'Connor were though!

It didn't maybe keep up it for a whole individual season the way the current one has (but then the current one is playing 9 part time sides a level down) but the idea that the 07-08 side produced a cup run and not much else is a fallacy. In the second half of that season prior to the Cup Final itself the team won 12, drew 5 and lost just 3 of its last 20 games. And one of those was 4-0 at Dunfermline in the final game when we basically fielded a reserve team.

Tremendous game, someone was dressed up as a box of some sort and Jim lauchlan? Was playing against Burchill.

Guest Flash

The Chisholm 07/08 team had a good second half of the season, but the first half of that season was pretty awful. Were we not in danger of taking one of the relegation spots in the November?

The 08/09 one had a good first quarter, being top of the league after 9 games, but quickly fell away. It was only wins at Thistle, St. Johnstone and then at home to Clyde late in the season that guaranteed us staying up. An amazing three game run after what had gone previously.

Considering the wage bill in those two seasons, it is absolutely fair to say they were overpaid underachievers. It will be interesting to compare the 08/09 cost of sales figure with the 12/13 one in the accounts. And 12/13 will include more win bonuses.

Anyway, I suspect if AJ had been in charge of the 08/09 squad, or even if he had the 08/09 budget, he would have done rather better than the clown.

ETA
After 15 games of 07/08 we were 8th, 3 points off bottom.

In 08/09, with 4 games to go, we were 8th, 4 points above the play-off spot.

Edited by Flash