The Queen of the South thread

Guest TOPFITTER

When does this thread move back to the 1st Division Forum?

Thanks to all our 2nd Division friends for being so accomodating and good luck for Season 2013 - 2014.

Now for "PROJECT PROMOTION THE SEQUEL".

Very happy to hear that Johnston has won PFA Scotland manager of the year and me personally think he deserves it. :thumsup2

185473-queen-of-the-souths-allan-johnsto

:wub:

Though I thought Rob Mclean, Billy Dodds and Steven Thompson were a tad disparaging on Sportscene last night about Magic getting the award. They seemed to think anyone but ...

... I'll put that down to them not being aware of anything out with the SPL. Their loss.

And congrats to Nicky Clark on his award. Though I'm fairly non-plussed about his departure, the lad done good time and time again. Well deserved.

Rumours of Lee leaving are devastating, though not unexpected. Fair enough for him to try and break through into the "big boys", but I so wished he'd gone for Queens legend status (a la Mr Ball). It would have meant first goalkeeper every week, plus a steady income for decades (!). Still, more money (even as a second) must be more than tempting. :bairn

Average number of points between 1st place and 2nd place in each of the four divisions over the last 10 seasons.

SPL - 8.1 points

1st - 10.2 points

2nd - 7.7 points

3rd - 8.9 points

Quite surprising. The 1st division is statistically the least competitive of the title races in Scotland, over the last 10 years anyway. The 2nd division is the closest

Well these figures have well and truely been blown out of the water this season. :)

IF I should die, think only this of me:

That there's some corner of my back garden

That is forever Palmerston.

Same :)

The strip was way bigger than I was expecting, so I actually have 3 corners  :lol: Mrs X has only seen one so far  :shutup

I'm still trying to work out where to put my piece of hallowed turf. I seem to have acquired a section from the 18 yard box at the Portland Drive end. Sadly, the white chalk line will not last forever but it looks mighty fine.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Same :)

The strip was way bigger than I was expecting, so I actually have 3 corners :lol: Mrs X has only seen one so far :shutup

Yes, in my admitted foolishness, I'd assumed my square yard would come as a square rather than a long narrow strip.

I cut it into 3 sections - 2 are down around the penalty spot in the garden, and my Dad took one away for his garden.

I'm still trying to work out where to put my piece of hallowed turf. I seem to have acquired a section from the 18 yard box at the Portland Drive end. Sadly, the white chalk line will not last forever but it looks mighty fine.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Ah, you lucky devil. Mine came from around the same area, but it features no white line.

I'd really fancied having a little short-lived white paint on it though.

Record Watch Update

Presumably the final update to the season records post ( i might do a bit of research into things like clean sheets when I get a chance though!). Today's 1-0 win over Albion Rovers extended out many of the already broken records and of course Nicky Clark's winner ties the club single season scoring record that has stood for 81 years. An amazing achievement. The best defence record and best goal difference are now formally confirmed though it was obvious for a while they'd be coming.

Club Records Already Set:

All time record points total for a season was 67 achieved in the 2001-02 championship season. We finish this season on 92 points, smashing the previous best to smithereens.

Latest First League Defeat in a season. We didn't lose our first league game until December 11th. The previous record was November 9th.

(Tied Record) Most Games Unbeaten from the Start of the Season. We were beaten in our 14th League game which matches the 13 game unbeaten start to 1985/86.

Most wins in a season - 24 in 1961/62. Again, another record smashed. The new record is 29.

Record Unbeaten Run in a Season - 16 games in 1950/51. New record set of 18 games, ended at Stenhousemuir.

Earliest Date for Clinching a League Title - 20th April 2002 was the previous earliest (it was 28th April 1951). This one was clinched on 27th March 2013.

Most points in a season using 2 points for a win - 55 in 85/86 (which was a 39 game season). This season's record equates to 63 despite being three games shorter.

Least defeats in a season - 5 in 1932/33. Best post war is 6 in 1950/51. This season we lost just TWO league games.

(Tied Record) Record Unbeaten Run at Home (League Only) - 18 games. We will go into next season with a chance to beat this.

Least goals conceded in a league season - 31 in 1923/24 but that was a 30 game season. 33 in a 38 game season in 74/75 is probably better. However, this season finishes with just 23 goals conceded.

Best goal difference in a season - +45 in 1961/62. We finish this season with a goal difference of +69.

(Tied Record) Most Goals for an Individual in a Season (All Competitions) - J Rutherford 41 goals, Nicky Clark ties this with 41 goals in 46 games.

And, the one that got away...................

Most goals scored in a season - 99 in 1931/32. Best post war is 94 in 1959/60. We came up just short on this one, finishing the league season with 92 goals. Still an astonishing return in modern football though.

Happy to hear of any corrections in the above existing records? I might have missed something or there may be errors in the source data somewhere.

Ok, as far as I can see with a little research we also broke the record for League Clean Sheets in a season on Saturday. Saturday's was our 19th clean sheet in 36 games this season. The existing club record appears to be 18 set in 1974/75 (a 38 game season).

So clock up another one. Lucky that last second cross hit the post and came out then instead of going in!

EDIT - Anyone know if this might be a Scottish record? Or at least a non-OF Scottish Record? It's certainly more clean sheets than Gretna managed in either their Third Division or Second Division romps.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I'd have fancied some turf but there is no way Aussie Customs would have let it into the country. Very strict about stuff like that. Plus it sounds like it wouldn't fit into a jiffy bag!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Interesting to note that Peter Weatherson has been released after long service at Morton . ( and no I am not saying we should sign him , only that he has been freed.

As has another ex-Queens player, David Hutton.

Quite a few interesting names leaving Div 1 clubs. So far, only Russell and McMenamin linked with us, that Ive seen