The Queen of the South thread

Got to take the money when it's offered, I suppose.

Having said that, there's no doubt that taking a chance and going down to an English club would show more ambition as a footballer (and, potentially, it would be even more lucrative in the longer term.)

But thanks, Nicky, for a truly unforgettable season. All the best.

It's only really 1 more season in division 2, where he'll get paid SPL wages for 3 years or something like that. Maybe Clark is just the main beneficiary of Johnston's system. I thought we needed another striker anyway in case Lyle didn't make the step up but now it's a certainty. Curious to see who we can replace him with. Another Ex Aberdeen Player, The Moff, or someone we don't expect.

If it doesn't work out at Rangers, he still has a 40 goal season on his CV and being an ex Rangers first team player has some value in Scottish Football.

Don't see this as a good move for Clark at the moment, still young not fully developed and if he does have 2 good seasons with the rangers then does any1 see him even getting a look in when there back in spl. Ano ppl won't agree but I hope he doesn't break pattersons record, as I would like the record to stay with a true legend.

The record doesn't belong to patterson, it's Jimmy Rutherford that holds it.

I wouldn't hold it against clark if he goes, if I was faced with the comparable decision in my job I would take it every single time. It will be interesting to see where he ends up, and how he does. I'll wish him all the best where ever he goes, the memories he has given us this season will stay with me forever.

being an ex Rangers first team player has some value in Scottish Football.

Tam Brighton?

Poor move if he goes there. I predict if true that he will not get 40 goals next season

Would like Clark to stay but I think Reilly is just as good if not better than Clark if he is given the same chance that Clark had.

1st division will be harder but he should be a direct replacement.

September/October last year Reilly was regarded as the better prospect around certain circle's which is why you didn't get to see that much of him for long periods!!!

For years and years Rangers have used their financial clout to attract the best young players.

Once there however the culture at that club does not lend itself to progression.

The number of young players who have been ruined there is legion.

It's a good move financially, but only if he plans to ultimately fail in his career.

Even if he doesnt get a game for them in the SPL, he'll have two seasons earning significantly more money than he could anywhere else and, if successful, will have had enough exposure to pretty much guarantee a move to another SPL or div 1 club, at worst. Im not sure what would be a better career move, to be honest.

Much as it pains me, I tend to agree with the above.

This way, he'll earn good money, but still be in a position to score plenty in a team that should walk the division he's just conquered. He'll also get the thrill of playing for a big - if morally despicable - club. I'm not convinced that he's good enough to star in a side which is well matched to its opponents, so again, it sounds like a good move for him.

It's actually a pretty sensible signing for Rangers, so I'm surprised that it looks like happening.

I admit though that it's taken the shine off watching him aim for the record tomorrow.

Even if he doesnt get a game for them in the SPL, he'll have two seasons earning significantly more money than he could anywhere else and, if successful, will have had enough exposure to pretty much guarantee a move to another SPL or div 1 club, at worst. Im not sure what would be a better career move, to be honest.

Exactly.

It would be a great move for Nicky and for Rangers. I think he would benefit as a player playing and training full time at the best training facilities in Scotland. The lad can score goals and undoubtedly he'll score them playing with Rangers. Just because he's played with a second division club doesn't mean he cant make the step up to a big club like Rangers, players have to start somewhere. It's a win, win for both player and club.

Edit: Waste money on someone like Jon Daly who will expect a massive wage and probably wont give his all for the club, or sign someone like Nicky who wont cost much in wages and who has already scored many goals in the league.

Edited by As We Rise Again

I'd think that Clark would get a chance early in playing for first team at Rangers rather than Sheffield United or Derby County who have been quoted. Going to Rangers at this time he will get a chance as they have no money to bring in expensive forgien imports. Going to championshipship teams he will be competing against more established players who may cost millions as championship teams have big bugdets. A lot of scottish players have failed down south (some have been a sucees) but few

A lot of players have failed at the Old Firm too.

In terms of the breakaway thing, we could be seeing Nicky a lot sooner than we expected if the powers at be have their way. Not sure the board have much choice on the matter to be honest.