The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash

I dont see it as being a particularly "special case", though.

Is it really that much different to player 1 asking for £x a week more than player 2?

It is if it is the club's policy to only offer one year contracts.

And it is different from being paid more because, whatever happens, we're stuck with him for next season. That might be seen as a good thing, of course, but the same would have been said about Holmes when he got his two year contract. Also, if the club was relegated, it might want to change the wage structure for the following season and he'd be getting paid more than everybody else.

So, it is quite different from one player getting paid more than another.

It is if it is the club's policy to only offer one year contracts.

And it is different from being paid more because, whatever happens, we're stuck with him for next season. That might be seen as a good thing, of course, but the same would have been said about Holmes when he got his two year contract. Also, if the club was relegated, it might want to change the wage structure for the following season and he'd be getting paid more than everybody else.

So, it is quite different from one player getting paid more than another.

We dont know that it is specific club policy. Plenty of players, who are still under contract, leave clubs when theyre not wanted so I dont really see that as an issue. The final point is quite easily solved with a clause in the contract.

The only downside I can see is that we would have to pay 12 months salary instead of 10. As I said, there are several players I would be quite happy to do that for, Higgins being one of them

Guest Flash

We dont know that it is specific club policy. Plenty of players, who are still under contract, leave clubs when theyre not wanted so I dont really see that as an issue. The final point is quite easily solved with a clause in the contract.

The only downside I can see is that we would have to pay 12 months salary instead of 10. As I said, there are several players I would be quite happy to do that for, Higgins being one of them

If it is the case that he could be binned after a year without compensation or could have his wages reduced if we were relegated, why on earth would he sign that? If he wants a two year deal it is because of the security that offers. If the deal is tantamount to a one year deal, why would that be any good to him?

There must be a reason why the club is only offering one year deals, particularly to players of his age. He isn't good enough to warrant a change to that. And any watering down of a straight two year contract is very unlikely to be acceptable to him.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. For a change.

If it is the case that he could be binned after a year without compensation or could have his wages reduced if we were relegated, why on earth would he sign that? If he wants a two year deal it is because of the security that offers. If the deal is tantamount to a one year deal, why would that be any good to him?

There must be a reason why the club is only offering one year deals, particularly to players of his age. He isn't good enough to warrant a change to that. And any watering down of a straight two year contract is very unlikely to be acceptable to him.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. For a change.

I dont agree to that :P

I'm with Flash on this one, assuming there's not more to the Higgins scenario than is suggested here. Higgins is a solid pro and has had a very good season, but he's not that great to warrant a two year deal.

They were definitely talking about doing some of the training in Dumfries from now on.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Pie & Bovril mobile app

I thought the plan was to train 1night a week in Dumfries

Higgins is quite rightly looking for the security of at least 2 more years of wages but I'm firmly on the side of the club if this is the case of him stalling on a new deal, unless the boy was oozing with talent it would be a risk to hand him a 2 year deal.

Smith was on a 2 year deal and spent most of it on the treatment table.

Maybe that's why they aren't keen to commit to 2 years.

Has Kevin Smith been released.

Anyone remember what they were up to five years ago today?

So near, yet so far. The city where so many of our locals went for shopping, and came back "lifelong fans".Now they travel like sheep and talk like they have lived up there for years.

I'd just completed probably the most stressful fortnight of my life! Pretty much everything worked out in the end though.

I think I was at Hampden for noon-ish so about now I'd have been driving up the road. What an amazing day that was. How quickly five years has passed since.

Craig Neil has signed for the first team has he not?

Higgins is a solid CB. He was played at LB too often under Gus and that's where he looked dodgy for me. Him and Durnan made a terrific pairing. I may be in a minority here, but if we had the option of Higgins or Clark I would easily choose Higgins. If the money isn't silly, I don't see why we shouldn't give him 2 years tbh.

Thought there might have been more reminiscing going on, but then, I always was a sucker for nostalgia.

Personally, I remember the memories of that day very fondly, but I don't remember the day itself in the same way.

As I left Hampden that day and came down the road, I actually felt pretty low. I was obviously proud we'd got there, but had grown used to the idea over the previous month. I was also relieved we'd not been hammered, which had been a possibility. However, although we'd not been robbed, I did feel that our (literally once in a lifetime) chance had briefly materialised, and then gone.

There was also the fact that the strange dreamland experience between Aberdeen and Rangers had now ended and life was set to return to normal.

I enjoyed the Sunday Parade and all that, but the flat deflation lingered.

Since then, I've obviously delighted in the re-runs of the team walking out to 'Sweet Child of Mine' and the Fly-Past. I've watched the the first ten minutes of the second half more than is rational, and I've resented everyone able to travel to Denmark.

My memories of the day itself however, remain bitter/sweet, with the emphasis on the former.

That's maybe just me though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I know what you mean Monkey Tennis . It was a mixed day of emotions for me come the end of it . I was convinced beforehand that we could beat a team that was almost dead on its feet having played so many games. So I was dissapointed that this once in a lifetime chance came to nothing . Instead of being fresh and raring to go , the enforced absence had made us rusty , only getting it together in the second half. Personally , I enjoyed the Ramsdens final much better . Yeh , that was a great day.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Pie & Bovril mobile app