The Queen of the South thread

Jesus! It appears JM has been tarred with the Gus McPherson brush already! If only Jose Mourinho hadn't gone to Chelsea and held out for queens eh?

Agreed, the guy has only been in the door 2 minutes and we haven't even played a game yet and he's getting stick!

Give the guy a chance!

Grant Adam is an outstanding keeper. He'll do a cracking job for you if McIntyre signs him.

Anyway, Iain McShane has been on trial with Airdrieonians and done well by all accounts. What position does he play and is he any good?

ETA: Jim McIntyre wants to take a look at him as well so he may end up back at QOS.

Edited by airdrieman

Grant Adam is an outstanding keeper. He'll do a cracking job for you if McIntyre signs him.

Anyway, Iain McShane has been on trial with Airdrieonians and done well by all accounts. What position does he play and is he any good?

ETA: Jim McIntyre wants to take a look at him as well so he may end up back at QOS.

Plays in the centre of midfield, in a more holding role. Made a few appearences about 2 years ago but we haven't seen much of him since, due to injury I think. I'd like to see more of him, as he seemed to cope with div 1 at the time.

David Hutton is the keeper for me

Apart from his wee mistake in the cup final did a good job for us.

Higgins is the club captain had a great season last year

Durnan is a very good young player

so surely Dowie will be on the bench

Cardle would be a great signing but i think he will end up in the SPL

lol wut?

One thing that was a trademark of McIntyres signings were that you never knew what he was going to do, there would be rumours but I can't think of any case during our first division time where the press or anyone else said they were about to sign, outwith Graham Bayne. Christ at one point he signed Joe Cardle and McDougall without Airdrie knowing. He does tend to sign players from around Scotland but I don't see how this is necessarily a bad thing, the team spirit was good throughout his reign and he improved the club season on season using his "predictable" transfers, I'm sure Queens won't complain if he does similar.

I never said it was necessarily a bad thing. Just stated the fact that all his signings seemed to be players every fan in the 1st division/spl were aware of, hence they were predictable signings. Managers like McNamara signed relative unknowns from lower leagues and turned them into great players,while Steven Pressley proved capable of finding players from outwith this country and it proved to be succesful as well. Im just stating that McIntyre has a more predictable signing policy, which at times is exactly what brings success.

I never said it was necessarily a bad thing. Just stated the fact that all his signings seemed to be players every fan in the 1st division/spl were aware of, hence they were predictable signings. Managers like McNamara signed relative unknowns from lower leagues and turned them into great players,while Steven Pressley proved capable of finding players from outwith this country and it proved to be succesful as well. Im just stating that McIntyre has a more predictable signing policy, which at times is exactly what brings success.

He's made one signing...

Willie McLaren was a great player for Queens.

agreed, he scored some fantastic goals, I'll ignore the performances at the end of his time but by then the bottom had well and truly fallen out of that team.

Plays in the centre of midfield, in a more holding role. Made a few appearences about 2 years ago but we haven't seen much of him since, due to injury I think. I'd like to see more of him, as he seemed to cope with div 1 at the time.

Ian McShane made a good few appearances in the first division in 2010/11 under Kenny Brannigan when he was only 18, though most of them were as substitute. He made one start and three sub appearances early in Gus MacPherson's reign but hasn't really been seen since. He got five minutes at the end of Allan Johnston's one first division game against Ross County and then was a sub in our first home cup tie against Alloa last season. He pretty much spent the rest of the season injured though he did make a 10 minute cameo in the Scottish Cup against Edinburgh City. He had an operation at the tail end of last season and had been invited back to pre-season training by Johnston to help his fitness and potentially try to earn a contract.

As dhd says, he's a central midfielder and when he first broke into the side he looked a decent prospect. Hopefully he'll get a clean run of fitness now.

I know some posters in here are connected with the club, or are at least in the know somewhat. Last year Middlesbrough played the Winners of the Ramsdens Cup at their ground in pre season and are supposed to be doing so again this year but there have been no plans published. Anyone any idea if it will happen at all?

He's made one signing...

Obviously I am looking at the signings he has made for Dunfermline as well so I can see his signing policy. Im not being negative, I am merely stating that his signings are usually players who are well known in this division, based on his signings for Dunfermline.

I know some posters in here are connected with the club, or are at least in the know somewhat. Last year Middlesbrough played the Winners of the Ramsdens Cup at their ground in pre season and are supposed to be doing so again this year but there have been no plans published. Anyone any idea if it will happen at all?

Apparently there is something in the pipelines, the original date(20th july I believe)was unsuitable for Boro, so they are looking at alternatives.

Ian McShane made a good few appearances in the first division in 2010/11 under Kenny Brannigan when he was only 18, though most of them were as substitute. He made one start and three sub appearances early in Gus MacPherson's reign but hasn't really been seen since. He got five minutes at the end of Allan Johnston's one first division game against Ross County and then was a sub in our first home cup tie against Alloa last season. He pretty much spent the rest of the season injured though he did make a 10 minute cameo in the Scottish Cup against Edinburgh City. He had an operation at the tail end of last season and had been invited back to pre-season training by Johnston to help his fitness and potentially try to earn a contract.

As dhd says, he's a central midfielder and when he first broke into the side he looked a decent prospect. Hopefully he'll get a clean run of fitness now.

I was quite impressed by him when he first broke onto the scene under KB. If he's now back to full fitness I would like to see him in the pre-season games and see how he does.

Apparently there is something in the pipelines, the original date(20th july I believe)was unsuitable for Boro, so they are looking at alternatives.

Cheers man, if it happens I'll be there, love a trip to Palmerston (despite being routinely hammered recently).

If Willie Mclaren screwed the nut I would have him back in a heartbeat. Great winger who actually beat men. Him and Danny as our two wingers would be excited.

The same could be said about Gibson, on their day they are match winners. It's sad to say but these guy's are never gonna change

Willies McLaren and Gibson are essentially the same: all the ability in the world, but in both cases they lacked the attitude and ambition to make the most of their God-given talents.

Shame, really.

edited - Hawk beat me by about half a second...

Edited by BigRubberFist