The Queen of the South thread

Good showing from queens. Could of been more than 1 up at half time. Harkins levelled with a tidy solo goal just after the break.

Queens keeper had a steady first half but shaky in the second. Lobbed easily and a bit stuck to his line at times. Pulled off a good save from teale to keep queens in it though. Personally I'd still sign another keeper.

The introduction of wee Dan, Orsi and Lyle livened things up and queens soon put the game to bed.

Was impressed with van Zaten, Harkins and Teale for saints. Grainger and Goodwin were howling!!

Queens knocked it about very well on the new surface and started a lot of the play from the back which was encouraging. McKenna and burns had good games in the midfield also.

Crowd of 1100 ish maybe?

You forgot to mention mccausland to your list of howlers!

That was a thoroughly entertaining game. Unlike saturday where all the attacking was done by Queens, St Mirren at the end of the 1st half and much of the 2nd half also played some great attacking football. The passing at times was a joy to watch with McKenna being highly prominent. Reilly worked really hard and had a few good chances but for me Lyle will be our number 1 centre forward. Not impressed at all by Antell. He chickened out big time against Harkins for the 1st goal and got cheekily lobbed by Teale for the 2nd. He is good with his distribution but there is a question mark for me over his bravery, which is the key quality for a keeper. Initially the raft of subs seemed to affect us, but eventually they all contributed. After a shocking start McShane then hit a few lovely passes and I was impressed by Slattery's tidy play. Will be difficult who would be the 1st choice 11 but I think this might be how McIntyre lines up against Dundee

Antell

Mitchell

Holt

Dowie

Higgins

Young

McKenna

Burns

Paton

Carmichael

Lyle

Oh and what a performace by Harkins tonight. Amazing

Edited by football maniac

You forgot to mention mccausland to your list of howlers!

Only thing being McAusland won a major domestic trophy last season and QOS will never win a major , apart from that you're spot on !

Have to agree with football maniac mcshane couldn't find a man at all when he first came on a good 7/8 passes failed then he pulled off some superb passes. Thought slattery was more impressive though..anybody else think Paton is going to be a huge player for us this year? Last two games he's been immense with a proper Pre season I think he's going to be class.

I'm struggling to make any sense whatsoever from this statement.

QOS fans love to McAusland bash but he's approaching his 4th consecutive season as a regular in an established SPL team , no matter how he plays in half a bounce game !

QOS fans love to McAusland bash but he's approaching his 4th consecutive season as a regular in an established SPL team , no matter how he plays in half a bounce game !

Still not sure what any of that has to do with me saying you had a howler last night Marc?

Not really, he was very good at us and every queens fan would have loved him to stay. Your statement still makes no sense whatsoever with regards to him having a howler.

Not really, he was very good at us and every queens fan would have loved him to stay. Your statement still makes no sense whatsoever with regards to him having a howler.

Didn't lose a wink of sleep, the word bombscare sums him up.

Edited by Broony88

So who's our first choice 11?

I would go with

Antell

Mitchell

Durnan

Higgins

Holt

Burns

Young

McKenna

Carmichael

Lyle/Reilly

Paton

I cant choose between Reilly and Lyle up-front. Before last night I thought Lyle was a better 'lone' striker but wouldnt score as many goals. On last nights performance, Reilly played the role really well, but then Lyle scored twice!

As for McIntyres side, it will be basically the same, but I dont think he'll leave Dowie out. Either at the expense of Higgins, or he'll play Higgins at left back and drop Holt. Or, he might drop Durnan.

Everyone seems to know what McIntyre strongest 11 is! If he hasn't started with it yet - why not. Surely he should be using his first picks at sometime during the match. It'll be interesting to see if your first 11 is the same as the managers as I am sure everyone will have a different idea

He has used his first picks at sometime during the match, hes used everyone at some point during the match.

I'd bet you good money that the side Ive listed is what he considers his strongest 11. Its not that difficult to pick most of it - Mitchell will start. The midfield 3 picks itself (barring any new signings). Carmichael and Paton will start and Im pretty sure he'll go with Lyle up front.

That, of course, is presuming he sticks with the formation we've started the pre-season games with. Last night, when the subs came on, we had two deeper midfielders with Carmichael, then Russell, playing off the striker. Again, though, if he goes with that formation, the back four will be the same, the midfield two will be two of Young, McKenna or Burns and Russell will start.

We dont have a huge amount of options in the squad, to be honest.

That was a thoroughly entertaining game. Unlike saturday where all the attacking was done by Queens, St Mirren at the end of the 1st half and much of the 2nd half also played some great attacking football. The passing at times was a joy to watch with McKenna being highly prominent. Reilly worked really hard and had a few good chances but for me Lyle will be our number 1 centre forward. Not impressed at all by Antell. He chickened out big time against Harkins for the 1st goal and got cheekily lobbed by Teale for the 2nd. He is good with his distribution but there is a question mark for me over his bravery, which is the key quality for a keeper. Initially the raft of subs seemed to affect us, but eventually they all contributed. After a shocking start McShane then hit a few lovely passes and I was impressed by Slattery's tidy play. Will be difficult who would be the 1st choice 11 but I think this might be how McIntyre lines up against Dundee

Antell

Mitchell

Holt

Dowie

Higgins

Young

McKenna

Burns

Paton

Carmichael

Lyle

Oh and what a performace by Harkins tonight. Amazing

I wasnt going to post that, as I wasnt sure about it and didnt want to be seen to be picking on Antell, but it did look like he had the opportunity to go down at Harkins feet and take the ball, or at least make Harkins go round him. Instead, he seemed to go down just in front of him, leaving a fairly easy finish past him.

He did make a couple of really good saves, though, and his distribution was excellent.

Edited by Mr X

And so he should. Tried and tested at this level. Think Durnan might miss out as JM will go with his old pars central defence pairing

I agree with FC_1919 that Dowie will start. However, I disagree with you that he should. I havent seen anything in pre-season to suggest he's better than Higgins and Durnan, who lets not forget are a tried and tested partnership.

I agree with FC_1919 that Dowie will start. However, I disagree with you that he should. I havent seen anything in pre-season to suggest he's better than Higgins and Durnan, who lets not forget are a tried and tested partnership.

Agreed there tried and tested but at 2nd division level. Theres a big jump from div 2 to "championship" level

Agreed there tried and tested but at 2nd division level. Theres a big jump from div 2 to "championship" level

Agree with that. Durnan looked a little raw at times last season and whilst I think he will be a class centre half in years to come I think the experience of dowie and Higgins will prove invaluable especially with a rookie keeper behind them.

Agree with that. Durnan looked a little raw at times last season and whilst I think he will be a class centre half in years to come I think the experience of dowie and Higgins will prove invaluable especially with a rookie keeper behind them.

Think we have a good mix of experience and youth in our squad. We have some very experienced players in dowie higgins young mcguffie