The Queen of the South thread

I thought Slattery looked decent the few times he played last season. I know the opposition wasn't brilliant but I'm not sure why he has fallen completely out of the picture.

I'd have thought Slattery was a more natural replacement for McKenna than either McShane or Dzierzawski. Of course, it might be difficult to bring him in now, given it is so long since he played. I think if we'd been able to play this team since the start of the season (with Slattery in for McKenna after he got injured) we would be much higher up the league. And we were able to play that team, apart from Clark. So I'm not sure why we still haven't even tried it.

Clark

Mitchell Durnan Higgins Holt

Carmichael McKenna Young Paton

Russell Reilly

If it was possible for a player to play for two teams at the same time, I think this team would beat any of the teams McIntyre has selected and it would certainly beat the ones he picked before he was forced to change it due to circumstances outwith his control.

Edited by Flash

I thought Slattery looked decent the few times he played last season. I know the opposition wasn't brilliant but I'm not sure why he has fallen completely out of the picture.

I'd have thought Slattery was a more natural replacement for McKenna than either McShane or Dzierzawski. Of course, it might be difficult to bring him in now, given it is so long since he played. I think if we'd been able to play this team since the start of the season (with Slattery in for McKenna after he got injured) we would be much higher up the league. And we were able to play that team, apart from Clark. So I'm not sure why we still haven't even tried it.

Clark

Mitchell Durnan Higgins Holt

Carmichael McKenna Young Paton

Russell Reilly

If it was possible for a player to play for two teams at the same time, I think this team would beat any of the teams McIntyre has selected and it would certainly beat the ones he picked before he was forced to change it due to circumstances outwith his control.
That is our best starting eleven no doubt , even if we include Clark who isn't ours. This side , barring injuries , would be knocking on Dundee and Hamilitons shoulders at the moment . I have not seen much of what the offer teams have to offer that would unduly concern me . We have gave them too much of a head start now to be troubling them much and thats a shame . The only problem is that when any of these 'best eleven' get injured/ suspended, then its more difficult for us to replace them than say Dundee , Falkirk or Accies because of their squad depth . This is seen with McKenna's injury and stop gaps put in place . The ruthless nature of this league eats 'stop gaps 'for breakfast. As mentioned , Slattery must be worth a run out in the circumstances Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Derek Lyle has scored 10 goals this season so far. An excellent return for a so called washed up striker. Lyle has been exceptional at coming on and playing havoc with the opposing defence . He might not like people telling him but he is probably more effective doing this now than starting.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

When Derek Lyle is on form he is as big a menace as anyone is this league, he was a very underrated part of last years team I felt, especially in the big games. I don't think he is a lone target man as I don't think he has the physical attributes to go up against massive centre halfs and win most times and he isn't as mobile as chasing down defenders. But he is effective with another partner, his assist at Falkirk highlights what he is good at, he can drag defenders out wide and put in a good ball which Russell scored a great goal from, he has some games where he struggles but he keeps going regardless. I felt he played too much early on, he's a pretty tough guy but it was obvious he wasn't fully fit at times and the Fleshers gate incident has probably benefited both him and the team. He's scoring off the bench and is making picking the team tough knowing that players are contributing.

Nicky Clark was helped out a lot by Lyle doing the dirty work last year and I'm not sure there is anyone on the Queens team that wants to win as much as he does, he gets upset every time he misses a chance, In games against former clubs he ups his game even more he's scored against 3 of them; Dundee, Morton and Hamilton. He's one of my favorite Queens players over the past ten years.

1. What was the logic behind dismantling arguably the most successful Queens team ever? Was it purely ego related, to "put your own stamp on things"?

2. What did you see in Calum Antell that suggested to you that he was a suitable first choice goalkeeper at Championship level?

Guest TOPFITTER

1. What was the logic behind dismantling arguably the most successful Queens team ever? Was it purely ego related, to "put your own stamp on things"?

2. What did you see in Calum Antell that suggested to you that he was a suitable first choice goalkeeper at Championship level?

Thanks for that, will add it to the list, cannot guarantee it will get asked though it will be given the same chance to be drawn as a non-attendee question as all others.

Guest TOPFITTER

Would like to ask if he feels the squad needs strengthened in January to achieve a play off position ? And if so what areas in his opinion need strengthening ?

Thanks for that, will add it to the list, cannot guarantee it will get asked though it will be given the same chance to be drawn as a non-attendee question as all others. Unless of course you are attending you may getr the chance to ask your own question.