The Queen of the South thread

The manager deserves a lot of credit for the run we are currently on. Performances such as the 9 men at Morton and coming from behind at Livingston suggest the players are right behind him even when the fans still aren't fully convinced. That alone can quash the Macpherson comparisons because that team wouldn't (or couldn't) fight their way out of a paper bag.

I'm not going to backtrack and apologise for making perfectly valid criticisms earlier in the season. His signings have still been very hit and miss, and some of his tactics extremely questionable to say the least.

The one thing I may have reason to apologise for would be my expectation of him to "hit the ground running". Allan Johnston certainly managed to, but he had played with the team and was therefore at an advantage. I still think the 6 months or so it has taken McIntyre to get the best from his squad is too long. Particularly when you consider how little work was needing done to it. Better late than never though.

David Moyes took over league champions, seems to be taking him more than 6 months!.

Let's remember we are no longer in a part time league with a full time team snd get behind the manager and team as we push towards the play-offs.

I can clearly see where you are coming from. If I , as an outsider, was watching another team get promoted and be in fourth position , then I would say they were doing very well and should be grateful. This is a bit different though . We knew everything was set up and we were ready to go and challenge at the top end of the league straight away. The uneccessary changes McIntyre made when none was needed have cost us a lot of points . He even put out the exact same tired team out against Alloa and that didn't work out believe me . A team that had gone to extra time and pens only two nights before . On the plus side however , this side seem to be ready to bust their balls for him. I am enjoying this little journey that should extend our season by a couple of games at least but I think that suspensions of vital players will start to bite and hinder us . If we could have had Februarys McIntyre instead of August's McIntyre from the start , then we would be top of this league and looking down on the rest.. There was too much ground to make up though and we are bound to hit a dip as keeping this up is very unlikely. A play off at best and a bit of something to look forward to come May .

Im not so sure.

Burns is suspended for the Dundee game, but Russell is back and, obviously, Kerr is now in the squad. Burns will then return for the Falkirk game when McKenna is suspended. Those three, plus Higgins, are now another 6 bookings from picking up another suspension.

As was posted last night, there are then only 3 players on 4 bookings, still two away from suspension - Durnan, Lyle and Holt. Worst case, Holt and Durnan get suspended for the same match, but other than that I think we could cope without any of those 3 for one match.

Im not so sure.

Burns is suspended for the Dundee game, but Russell is back and, obviously, Kerr is now in the squad. Burns will then return for the Falkirk game when McKenna is suspended. Those three, plus Higgins, are now another 6 bookings from picking up another suspension.

As was posted last night, there are then only 3 players on 4 bookings, still two away from suspension - Durnan, Lyle and Holt. Worst case, Holt and Durnan get suspended for the same match, but other than that I think we could cope without any of those 3 for one match.

Agree we now have a strong enough squad to cope with upcoming suspensions, the inclusion of Kerrs experience in the midfield has helped.

No more silly red cards please!

Sorry :ph34r:

I updated that report to include McShanes missing booking. It inadvertently bumped it to the top

I was hoping no-one had noticed!

My legal team will be in touch to arrange compensation..... ;)

My legal team will be in touch to arrange compensation..... ;)

A 2-0 win against the league leaders is surely compensation enough ;)

Higgins at left-back if/when Holt gets suspended?

Presumably. Not ideal, but hardly a disaster for one game. As I said, Id be more worried if Durnan and Holt were suspended at the same time. Then we're into McGuffie at left back, or at right back with Mitchell moving to the left. Again, though, for one game I wouldnt be hugely worried by that

Rovers have signed Lee Robinson for the rest of the season. Any good?

Well that's a tad disappointing. And contrary to what my contact told me last week. She is getting a swift boot in the chuff!

Great keeper, great signing for Raith. Hopefully he sees sense and re-signs with Queens in the Summer ;)

Really looking forward to next Saturday now. For me, looking back McIntyre was always going to try change the team even of it wasn't needed. Not many managers would have kept it the same. But he's getting it correct at the moment, even the game we were defeated up at Hamilton recently I thought we were excellent in second half. Everyone I was with was pretty puzzled to how we got beat.

Gutted burnsey is out next week, he's had a real hunger about him recently and playing really well. Think it's easy what needs done, Kerr in for mcshane and Russell out wide

Dunning- I actually think we have one of the top 3 squads in the league and I fully expected us to be in play off position at worst. The bookmakers seemed to agree with that as Q ueens were second / third favourites in most ante post lists at start of season.

I disagree with skyline on the subject of selections and tactics. I think you need two up front at his level of football and we persevered with a formation that simply wasn't working. Ok to try something for a couple of games but manager persisted with this week after week .We seldom dominated games and our failure to win two games back to back until recently highlighted the inadequacy of that 4-2-3-1 formation.

Personally I think that this system was deployed as way to accommodate Ian Russell who the manager has not seen as a central striker.There is no point in going over the goalkeeper issue but we all know that this position cost us a least 6 points or possibly more. durnan's early exclusion was not clever as for me he is an outstanding central defender.

McShane has played well at times and he has some potential but I think we have better options but nothing wrong with giving young players a chance. The current formation suits us well and mark Kerr could be a shrewd signing for us.

We have given the leading teams a start but a win next week puts us back in the mix but clearly we can't afford too many more slip ups. Don't consider 4th place a fantastic achievement but after languishing in 8th position the games have suddenly become a lot more enjoyable!

Dunning- I actually think we have one of the top 3 squads in the league and I fully expected us to be in play off position at worst. The bookmakers seemed to agree with that as Q ueens were second / third favourites in most ante post lists at start of season.

I disagree with skyline on the subject of selections and tactics. I think you need two up front at his level of football and we persevered with a formation that simply wasn't working. Ok to try something for a couple of games but manager persisted with this week after week .We seldom dominated games and our failure to win two games back to back until recently highlighted the inadequacy of that 4-2-3-1 formation.

Personally I think that this system was deployed as way to accommodate Ian Russell who the manager has not seen as a central striker.There is no point in going over the goalkeeper issue but we all know that this position cost us a least 6 points or possibly more. durnan's early exclusion was not clever as for me he is an outstanding central defender.

McShane has played well at times and he has some potential but I think we have better options but nothing wrong with giving young players a chance. The current formation suits us well and mark Kerr could be a shrewd signing for us.

We have given the leading teams a start but a win next week puts us back in the mix but clearly we can't afford too many more slip ups. Don't consider 4th place a fantastic achievement but after languishing in 8th position the games have suddenly become a lot more enjoyable!

See above ..excellent post .

If you happen to know, off the top of your head, which game Lyles incorrect booking is, that would be really useful!

Haven't had a chance to look through the OS to see which games he's listed as being booked for but per the SFA's list he was booked against:

Falkirk (Oct 5th), Cowdenbeath (Dec 28th), Hamilton (Jan 4th) and Livingston (Feb 1st). He was also booked against St Mirren on Dec 10th in the Scottish Cup but that's not relevant to his league total.

Its far too simplistic to put our earlier under achieving down to just the formation

Haven't had a chance to look through the OS to see which games he's listed as being booked for but per the SFA's list he was booked against:

Falkirk (Oct 5th), Cowdenbeath (Dec 28th), Hamilton (Jan 4th) and Livingston (Feb 1st). He was also booked against St Mirren on Dec 10th in the Scottish Cup but that's not relevant to his league total.

Cheers. I found which game it was this morning. The OS stats should be correct now

Don't get me started, I've been going on about this for months.

Take it you went on about it last season to then?

I have seen Slattery play left back before, any way it would prob only be for the one game.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

Slattery regularly plays left back for the Reserves. Although to be honest whilst I wouldn't like to see him play it regularly, Higgins is perfectly capable of covering left back for a week or two. As is Mitchell who did it for a while under Johnston last season with McGuffie playing on the right (that was the full back pairing against Kilmarnock in the cup for instance and managed ok that day).

We could also still get an emergency loan (u21) to cover the position if we needed to for a longer period of time.

Edited by Skyline Drifter