The Queen of the South thread

What fresh madness is this? Willie Harkness will be doing somersaults in his grave :ph34r:

Queen of the South fans seek place on club's board

I'd be interested to hear the reasoning for this as I don't think "fans should be represented on the board" is justification in itself. The current Board members are themselves fans, but with the added bonus of being astute and successful businessmen. The current board are doing an excellent job of managing the clubs finances off the field, whilst keeping the results on the field as good as ever. I'm not sure why anyone would want to risk jeopardising this.

Obviously the club should endeavor to have as strong a link as possible with fans but I don't think having them in the Boardroom is the best way to achieve this.

I fully expect to be slaughtered for this post cos #AMF

The current Board members are themselves fans, but with the added bonus of being astute and successful businessmen. The current board are doing an excellent job of managing the clubs finances off the field, whilst keeping the results on the field as good as ever. I'm not sure why anyone would want to risk jeopardising this.

This sums it up. I really don't see the need to have a fans representative on the board.

I think it would matter more if you had a multi millionaire business man from the other side of the world who speaks little English and who probably owns more than one club. As a club I do think we have a decent board who seem to have the football clubs interests ahead of their own.

I'd be interested to hear the reasoning for this as I don't think "fans should be represented on the board" is justification in itself. The current Board members are themselves fans, but with the added bonus of being astute and successful businessmen. The current board are doing an excellent job of managing the clubs finances off the field, whilst keeping the results on the field as good as ever. I'm not sure why anyone would want to risk jeopardising this.

Obviously the club should endeavor to have as strong a link as possible with fans but I don't think having them in the Boardroom is the best way to achieve this.

Having a fans representative always seems like something that will only lead to conflict. Mainly because most football fans get frothing at the mouth about the smallest of changes let alone major operational decisions. This thread has plenty of evidence of that (Ironically including this.)

I may just have a lack of faith in other people but the sceptical side of me thinks that in practice, the person selected will only look out for the small group of fans in the trust or themselves rather than the idealistic notion that they represent everyone.

I agree. I'd also go further and say that, pretty much, everyone involved in the running of the club are, as far as I know, also fans of the club - including volunteers that sell programmes etc and do other match day duties.

Having a fans representative always seems like something that will only lead to conflict. Mainly because most football fans get frothing at the mouth about the smallest of changes let alone major operational decisions. This thread has plenty of evidence of that (Ironically including this.)

I may just have a lack of faith in other people but the sceptical side of me thinks that in practice, the person selected will only look out for the small group of fans in the trust or themselves rather than the idealistic notion that they represent everyone.

I agree. The real danger is that those who shout loudest are represented rather than the majority. I'd hate to think a fan rep on the board would go in there with the views of some of the posters on MAD, for example.

Im not against the idea in principle, but Im not sure its needed, for the reasons Cammy outlined and Im sceptical about how well it would work, for the same reasons you are

Edited by Mr X

I think it's nigh on impossible for an individual, or group of individuals, to represent what would be a considerably larger group of people. I actually find it quite arrogant that they think they can.

Without opening the Mark Robertson can of worms, I would say it's possible to be a good board member without being a fan, and that being a fan doesn't automatically make you a good board member (Davie Rae for example).

We're lucky that our board are both at present. Any attempt to alter that is based on personal agendas rather than the interests of the club IMO.

If the BOD were running roughshod over the Club and the fans and club were suffering as a consequence I could see the possible merit of trying to get a fans spokesman on the Board. The present Board members are serving the Club admirably and should be congratulated for the developments both on and off the field. Unlike some fans I don't see the need for the Board to inform us of every detail regarding behind-the-scenes activities, and as Palmy-Cammy suggests there may be personal agendas in any move to get a fans Rep on Board.

Jesus.

Can there be a more subservient, forelock tugging body of fans anywhere, than the P&B contingent of Queens fans?

All falling over themselves to say how wonderful the board are.

Short memories chaps.

Yep the board have made significant errors in my view. Their position on the Rangers debacle was extremely poor judgement in my view.

The views that the board of late have done well but have made significant errors in the past aren`t mutually exclusive of course.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Jesus.

Can there be a more subservient, forelock tugging body of fans anywhere, than the P&B contingent of Queens fans?

Short memories chaps.

The board made one decision that I disagreed with, namely the Rangers vote. Outwith that, though, they have done a fantastic job. Has the club ever been in a healthier position than it is right now? I'm not sure it has.

Fan representation is a good idea on theory, but it requires someone of sound mind who will listen to reason. The majority of these positions end up filled by zoomers looking to serve their own agenda though.

Jesus.

Short memories chaps.

I resent the decision we made then but I can't say I give much of a shit about Rangers currently tbh. If they want to run themselves into the ground again then that's their prerogative. Only Livingston has less sympathy from Scottish Football for their plight than them now.

I'll let the 4 years of recovery, profit, upgrading infrastructure and improved league performances be the judge of the board's capabilities. It's not all about The Rangers as they would like you to believe.

What fresh madness is this? Willie Harkness will be doing somersaults in his grave :ph34r:

Queen of the South fans seek place on club's board

Don't really see any point in it. There would be nothing to stop the current board having meetings without the fan representative. Any questions needing answered can be asked at the AGM.

Edited by spacekid84

Jesus.

Short memories chaps.

I'd like to think the remaining board members are aware that rangers vote was a huge PR f**k up and have learnt a lesson.

I really don't see any benefit in a member of the trust getting involved in board decisions - in terms of how OUR club is being run off the field, they seem to be doing a good job and have turned us from a club making huge losses year on year into one that has a bit of financial stability.

I'd like to think the remaining board members are aware that rangers vote was a huge PR f**k up and have learnt a lesson.

Canny think what your talking about but whatever it was wasn't yesterday and it hasn't affected the club.

I didn't pipe up particularly in support of fan representation. I like the principle, but in practice, I'd share some of the reservations that others do.

Given that the trust is so far short of the required number of shares, I can't really see that there would be much of a mandate as things stand.

What got my goat however, was reading post after post about how wonderful this board is. Someone even said that they wouldn't ride roughshod over fan opinion, when the reality is that that's precisely what happened in the most stark way imaginable.

I know that people want to let things go, but it's hard not to view the board's actions in the context of that event. Even the much lauded profits of the last year would have probably been slimmer, had other Scottish boards acted as spinelessly as ours in 2012.

I'm not churlish enough to deny the good things that have happened - the Arena is terrific.

I like to think however that there's a more detached and critical attitude to those in charge of our club, than is evident in the sycophantic toadying on this thread.

Edited by Monkey Tennis