The Queen of the South thread

I agree with Flash I personally hate one player up top and unless you have loads of mobility in the forward areas it makes it very tough to dominate games, create chances and score a decent quota of goals. It is no coincidence that by favouring one player up front we have struggled to score goals. Last season we invariably played Lyle and Reilly in a partnership up front and both players scored 15+ each.

For me we leave Lyle isolated up on his own far too much and given his lack of pace he simply doesnt have runners getting ahead of the ball in dangerous areas.

When you compare our midfield players with teams like Hibs and Rangers who have been scoring for fun - the biggest single difference is these teams have midfield players whose main preoccupation is to create/score goals. They all seem hungry to attack and be creative. Our midfield players look to "keep the shape" , get back behind the ball, and generally fulfill a holding role. If we are to achieve 4th place ( something that is well within our grasp) we need to start scoring goals and to do that we need the manager and his players to be braver in the final third and the midfield in particular need to start getting ahead of the ball from time to time.

I'd play Aidan Smith up front with Lyle and we need one midfielder holding and one going forward, like what Tommy Bryce Mark 2 used to do (though unsure who that could be)...

A great result for Morton last night and it highlights the importance of staying positive in these big games rather than retreating into a defensive shell and trying to hold out for a 0-0. By doing this Morton have picked up a huge bonus and presumably given themselves a tremendous liftinto the bargain.

Last time we were at Easter Road we were playing quite well and Hibs were having an off day as I recall. Rather than push on and try and win the game we retreated into a defensive shell and got undone in added on time (allbeit controversially). No point in looking back but last season we benefitted enormously from the big wins that we got against Rangers and Hibs and also from two very good attacking displays away to Hearts which ended in defeat.

We are starting to play better and we need to stamp our Play Off credentials starting on Saturday at Falkirk and in the big games that are coming up. We are now the outsiders in the Play Off race but still have a good chance.

I dont think it is any foregone conclusion that Hibs will progress to Prem League via the Play Offs - last nights result highlights that anything can happen in one off games. Of course it is a massive longshot but you have to be in it to win it and a first round head to head with Falkirk would give us a 50:50 chance of progressing. Hopefully we will start to be a lot more positive in games and we desperately need our midfield players to stand up and be counted in the forward areas.

I wouldn't view us as outsiders I think that title is reserved at the moment for st mirren. We are one point off 4th but the key is we have two games on morton. Taking advantage will be important in leaving morton and st mirren behind. Our rivals for fourth spot imo is Raith.

At the start of the year my prediction was finish sixth because of the players we lost. I didn't think saints would have such a poor start and thought Raith or morton or both would grind out much more consistent results. It just has not happened and I feel in this mini league of four or five teams that fourth spot is there for the taking.

Falkirk and hibs we might not do well against but we must defeat those around us.

A great result for Morton last night and it highlights the importance of staying positive in these big games rather than retreating into a defensive shell and trying to hold out for a 0-0. By doing this Morton have picked up a huge bonus and presumably given themselves a tremendous liftinto the bargain.

Last time we were at Easter Road we were playing quite well and Hibs were having an off day as I recall. Rather than push on and try and win the game we retreated into a defensive shell and got undone in added on time (allbeit controversially). No point in looking back but last season we benefitted enormously from the big wins that we got against Rangers and Hibs and also from two very good attacking displays away to Hearts which ended in defeat.

We are starting to play better and we need to stamp our Play Off credentials starting on Saturday at Falkirk and in the big games that are coming up. We are now the outsiders in the Play Off race but still have a good chance.

I dont think it is any foregone conclusion that Hibs will progress to Prem League via the Play Offs - last nights result highlights that anything can happen in one off games. Of course it is a massive longshot but you have to be in it to win it and a first round head to head with Falkirk would give us a 50:50 chance of progressing. Hopefully we will start to be a lot more positive in games and we desperately need our midfield players to stand up and be counted in the forward areas.

^^^^^^ This.

Last nights result for Morton shows what can be done if you adopt a positive attitude from the start and maintain it throughout the game rather than for brief spells during the game. The problem is I don't think we have players fit enough or fast enough to keep trying to put constant pressure on the opposition, breaking fast from defence to mount a quick attack or getting back quickly to cover if a move breaks down.

I think if we do somehow manage to secure a top four finish it will be a better achievement than last year because we had better players then and the other potential threats (Falkirk, Raith Rovers) did not do as well as expected, although Falkirk did come on stronger later on. This season we have had to bed in several new players, Falkirk have established themselves early on as main contenders against the "big two", Raith Rovers started well under a new manager, although they too are prone to inconsistency, and Morton, coming up, have probably been stronger than most outside Greenock would have predicted, and St. Mirren are showing sign of revival. Our downfall could be our failure to put teams under enough pressure and create more chances for both the strikers and from midfield. I'm not advocating a gung-ho policy of attack at any cost but there is a big difference between playing to win games rather than playing not to lose.

^^^^^^ This.

Last nights result for Morton shows what can be done if you adopt a positive attitude from the start and maintain it throughout the game rather than for brief spells during the game. The problem is I don't think we have players fit enough or fast enough to keep trying to put constant pressure on the opposition, breaking fast from defence to mount a quick attack or getting back quickly to cover if a move breaks down.

I think if we do somehow manage to secure a top four finish it will be a better achievement than last year because we had better players then and the other potential threats (Falkirk, Raith Rovers) did not do as well as expected, although Falkirk did come on stronger later on. This season we have had to bed in several new players, Falkirk have established themselves early on as main contenders against the "big two", Raith Rovers started well under a new manager, although they too are prone to inconsistency, and Morton, coming up, have probably been stronger than most outside Greenock would have predicted, and St. Mirren are showing sign of revival. Our downfall could be our failure to put teams under enough pressure and create more chances for both the strikers and from midfield. I'm not advocating a gung-ho policy of attack at any cost but there is a big difference between playing to win games rather than playing not to lose.

Spot on .

^^^^^^ This.

Without watching the game, I don't think Morton's game plan would be all that different from ours. Their goals came from a corner, a counter attack and a goalkeeping error. Our best chances on saturday came from similar, Rangers had a keeper in form whereas Hibs have Oxley. If Lyle scored in the first ten or Kidd's strike went in, Rangers might have got rattled and take more risks like Hibs did.

Rangers are always going to have spells on the ball and we get too deep and hemmed in but I think we gave it a pretty good go but we didn't take out chances when they came, whereas Morton did.

I watched game on periscope Morton set out just like we do most games scored a header, then 2nd half broke on counter twice as hibs tried to get back into game Morton were greatly helped by very poor goalkeeping for the second goal.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

I see we're 4th now Northfield. Long way to go of course but maybe better start getting the overtime ramped up in case you need to pay your debts. ;)
When will you listen to me.Queens this season are sadly not good enough to get 4th.That is why I made the bet I am 100% sure we will not get 4th.

Fowler has Queens playing boring football playing not to lose rather than to win.

I just wonder if he deserves another season

When will you listen to me.Queens this season are sadly not good enough to get 4th.That is why I made the bet I am 100% sure we will not get 4th.

Fowler has Queens playing boring football playing not to lose rather than to win.

I just wonder if he deserves another season

I'm guessing he'll get one, but I wouldn't be sorry if we looked elsewhere.

How many of the goals were Atkinson to blame for? I heard he was a nanosecond away from saving the third which is pretty unacceptable.

I'd say that making two errors in a game that only didn't result in goals for the opposition due to poor finishing and good fortune plus another that arguably was an error that resulted in a goal is unacceptable.

However, if he played very well today in keeping the score down to three in yet another one of Fowler shitfests, then that is good to hear.

Edited by Flash

Up until today I gave Fowler the benefit of the doubt but now I am firmly in the camp saying he needs replaced. His avoid defeat at all costs mentality is going to hit the club financially as supporters stay away in there droves. Some guys refer to the performances being a throw back to the dark days of Gus but Fowler has more quality in his squad by a long way. Football should be an entertainment but we have not seen much this season. Would love to see us have a right go at Hibs on Tuesday but alas I doubt.