The Queen of the South thread

Terrible shock to hear about Chris Mitchell.

I happened to be in hospitality at Palmerston the week after we won the Ramsden Cup

and he and Steven McKenna were going round having their photos taken with fans holding the trophy.

Really nice lad and, as has been said, a very good fullback for us who was unlucky with injury. His set piece delivery

was superb and we could have done with him at RB this last season.

My thoughts are with his friends and family.

Hutton got player of the season? :o He came in to a cracking run of form in the last few months but before that he certainly wasn't putting in player of the season performances.

He built up a good partnership with Tapping near the end there and I certainly would have liked him to stay. He's certainly not irreplaceable though.

I disagree but he certainly got better and better as the season went on.

Did you not attend the last home game? He was presented with a couple of Player of the Year awards pre match and also got the Travel Club one later that night.

I wonder if Queens would sign Goodwin?

I was thinking about that on the way home from the Hibs game when he was being inteviewed after his last game for saintees. 

Cant say Ive ever been a big fan but he would certainly add a bit of presence to the midfield

I disagree but he certainly got better and better as the season went on.

Did you not attend the last home game? He was presented with a couple of Player of the Year awards pre match and also got the Travel Club one later that night.

No I wasn't at the last game. That'll explain why I never heard anything :lol:

I was thinking about that on the way home from the Hibs game when he was being inteviewed after his last game for saintees.

Cant say Ive ever been a big fan but he would certainly add a bit of presence to the midfield

He would certainly add some dig, anyway.

Does he put himself about?

Can he tackle?

If the answer to either or both of these is yes, he's already an improvement on Carswell. But still nae Goodwin.

He is like I said very tidy on the ball but I genuinely can't remember him getting ahead of the ball that often so hope you're not expecting goals. 33 games and 0 goals probably sums that part of his game up, will play some lovely 5 yard sideways and backwards passes and will run about looking busy but like I said very meh. I might regret this come August if his replacement isn't up to much but I think we can replace him with a player of similar ability quite easily.

He is like I said very tidy on the ball but I genuinely can't remember him getting ahead of the ball that often so hope you're not expecting goals. 33 games and 0 goals probably sums that part of his game up, will play some lovely 5 yard sideways and backwards passes and will run about looking busy but like I said very meh. I might regret this come August if his replacement isn't up to much but I think we can replace him with a player of similar ability quite easily.

I wouldn't ever be expecting goals from a holding mid. I'd be expecting him to break play up effectively to allow guys like Mallan and Quinn to kick on.

I wouldn't ever be expecting goals from a holding mid. I'd be expecting him to break play up effectively to allow guys like Mallan and Quinn to kick on.

That's exactly what he'll do.

He was effectively the replacement for Mark Kerr that Mark Millar failed to become. With his age and extra mobility he had all the makings of an improved version of Kerr. Admittedly the same was said about Millar.

I'm gutted he's moved on, but I look forward to seeing what player with Champions League experience we replace him with seeing as it's going to be so easy to do.

That's exactly what he'll do.

He was effectively the replacement for Mark Kerr that Mark Millar failed to become. With his age and extra mobility he had all the makings of an improved version of Kerr. Admittedly the same was said about Millar.

I'm gutted he's moved on, but I look forward to seeing what player with Champions League experience we replace him with seeing as it's going to be so easy to do.

If Millar remains do you reckon he would link up with Tapping in centre midfield?

Still cant understand the enigma that is mark millar. When he played for us he was easily one of the best midfielders in the league and far better than the likes of hutton. However, he seems to have been decidedly average at every other team hes been at. Strange one indeed.

If Millar remains do you reckon he would link up with Tapping in centre midfield?

Millar and Tapping could perhaps work as a pairing.  Tapping certainly provides a lot of energy something you couldn't accuse Millar of doing.  Millar is probably the more intelligent of the two, whereas Tapping is more blood and thunder.  The new manager would probably have to give Millar some reassurances that he'd be a starter for him to want to stay though I'd imagine.  Even then it wouldn't surprise me if he opted to leave.  I wouldn't be too disappointed either way.

After such a poor season I didn't really expect any of our players to move in an upward trajectory, so losing Hutton is a real blow.  In an ideal world we would keep the best of what we have and replace the ones we don't want with improvements.  That way the upheaval is kept to a minimum so we avoid repeating last seasons scenario.  Hopefully Hutton is the last to move upwards or we'll be replacing good players and the bad ones.

I thought Hutton was poor when he first arrived but certainly improved as time passed, presumably with improving fitness levels.

He`s a very decent player at this level but the game can pass him by on occasion.

I`d have been happy if he had stayed with us but I don`t view it as some sort of disaster that he has moved on. It seemed likely he would get an offer from a club who pay more than us so I`d presumed he would leave in all honesty.

Still cant understand the enigma that is mark millar. When he played for us he was easily one of the best midfielders in the league and far better than the likes of hutton. However, he seems to have been decidedly average at every other team hes been at. Strange one indeed.

I noticed that Millar, on the last home game at Palmerston has certainly got himself a lot fitter than earlier in the season, so if he gets a good pre season under his belt and remains, then hopefully he'll be more effective next season.

Can't say his departure is a shock an extremely Meh player who was tidy on the ball but very rarely looked like doing anything with it.

Perhaps a bit harsh, but only a bit.

It's a view I'm much closer to than that shared by those doing all the eulogising. He was better towards the end of his time here than he was at the start, but let's not overdo it.

He was often poor and even when he came onto something of a game, it hardly got reflected in a great run of form for the team.

I'd rather he stayed, but he really wasn't that great. I'll live with this one.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Millar and Tapping could perhaps work as a pairing.  Tapping certainly provides a lot of energy something you couldn't accuse Millar of doing.  Millar is probably the more intelligent of the two, whereas Tapping is more blood and thunder.  The new manager would probably have to give Millar some reassurances that he'd be a starter for him to want to stay though I'd imagine.  Even then it wouldn't surprise me if he opted to leave.  I wouldn't be too disappointed either way.

After such a poor season I didn't really expect any of our players to move in an upward trajectory, so losing Hutton is a real blow.  In an ideal world we would keep the best of what we have and replace the ones we don't want with improvements.  That way the upheaval is kept to a minimum so we avoid repeating last seasons scenario.  Hopefully Hutton is the last to move upwards or we'll be replacing good players and the bad ones.

This. I wouldnt be against a Millar/Tapping partnership but we'd have to see a lot more from Millar

I noticed that Millar, on the last home game at Palmerston has certainly got himself a lot fitter than earlier in the season, so if he gets a good pre season under his belt and remains, then hopefully he'll be more effective next season.

This is basically what was said pre-season. He came back looking much fitter and sharper than last season and most expected more. I dont think fitness has really been the issue

This. I wouldnt be against a Millar/Tapping partnership but we'd have to see a lot more from Millar

This is basically what was said pre-season. He came back looking much fitter and sharper than last season and most expected more. I dont think fitness has really been the issue

I just thought he looked a lot leaner at the season's end, than at the start of the season in my humble opinion. Edited by RUSTY1111