The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash

Barry Nicholson not in running for queens job

I wasn't the first not to mention on here three weeks ago that it probably might not be him that wasn't rumoured to not be in the running.

How do you know?

SUPERSOUTH told him :ph34r:

Good to see Higgy signing on for next year. I reckon he still has at least one season left in him at this level. Out of interest, how long has he been with us now? It must be a good while.

Everybody I spoke to after last years event said they had a great time and no doubt word would spread for the next event and would be a great success. I was gutted when I heard this years line up and not surprised to hear this news. I don't want to be critical of the organisers as no doubt they try there best but why organise the event on the same day as the beer festival at Park Farm ? Surly a bit of communication would help as this may have had a bearing on the ticket sales !

I had heard (not from any official source) that the club made enquiries with a lot of local organisations to see if anything was on that would clash with the date of the concert and at that time no other events were known to be taking place. I don't know if the Rugby Club were asked or if the date of the Beer Festival was decided after Queens had  started the ball rolling with the concert, which was probably right after the Quo concert.

I would hope that the organisers would have done some research to gauge the attraction of the acts before advertising the event.

I wouldn't berate the Commercial Dep't for trying things like pop concerts (a lot of clubs do it) but sadly in this instance it hasn't worked out.

SUPERSOUTH told him :ph34r:

Good to see Higgy signing on for next year. I reckon he still has at least one season left in him at this level. Out of interest, how long has he been with us now? It must be a good while.

Read the article on the website ;) he has been with us since 2011 and is our longest serving player (in this stint, I presume Lyle has a longer total time with the club).

Read the article on the website ;) he has been with us since 2011 and is our longest serving player (in this stint, I presume Lyle has a longer total time with the club).

I'm rarely on a computer so don't venture over there on my mobile. I don't think it's the most user friendly website for mobiles; my mobile at least.

Thought it was longer than 5 years. Feels like he's been here for a lot longer :)

I had heard (not from any official source) that the club made enquiries with a lot of local organisations to see if anything was on that would clash with the date of the concert and at that time no other events were known to be taking place. I don't know if the Rugby Club were asked or if the date of the Beer Festival was decided after Queens had started the ball rolling with the concert, which was probably right after the Quo concert.

I would hope that the organisers would have done some research to gauge the attraction of the acts before advertising the event.

I wouldn't berate the Commercial Dep't for trying things like pop concerts (a lot of clubs do it) but sadly in this instance it hasn't worked out.

I am not 'berating' the commercial dept for the hard work they do. Think it may have had more appeal if the headline act for an 80's theme was Madness or maybe even the proclaimers but maybe higher costs would have came into play.

I had heard (not from any official source) that the club made enquiries with a lot of local organisations to see if anything was on that would clash with the date of the concert and at that time no other events were known to be taking place. I don't know if the Rugby Club were asked or if the date of the Beer Festival was decided after Queens had  started the ball rolling with the concert, which was probably right after the Quo concert.

I would hope that the organisers would have done some research to gauge the attraction of the acts before advertising the event.

Yes, the tone of the piece on the OS certainly seems to suggest annoyance at the clash of dates. It wouldn't surprise me if the dates chosen had initially made sense and maybe even had carried certain assurances at the time that have since proved flimsy.

I'm just speculating though and I might be spectacularly wrong.

Either way, it's a pity. It's clear that this decision is designed to cut losses, but I'd imagine they'll still be substantial, given what those with some knowledge of such matters are saying on QueensMad.

I feel sorry for those involved. With hindsight, perhaps this was a danger, although ironically, I thought it was a much better sounding line up than last year's.

I hope no individuals suffer for what has been a misjudgement that must have backed by those in charge.

I'm rarely on a computer so don't venture over there on my mobile. I don't think it's the most user friendly website for mobiles; my mobile at least.

Thought it was longer than 5 years. Feels like he's been here for a lot longer :)

Why not? What doesnt work or look right?

I am not 'berating' the commercial dept for the hard work they do. Think it may have had more appeal if the headline act for an 80's theme was Madness or maybe even the proclaimers but maybe higher costs would have came into play.

Apologies if my post inferred that you were berating the Commercial Dep't, I was stating my own view that it would be harsh to berate them if they have done everything possible to make it happen.

I don't know who came up with the line-up for this concert but obviously someone thought it would work. I wonder if the Commercial Department were being guided or advised by a Promotion Company who would arrange for the acts to appear? The final say of course would be with the Club as they will have to deal with any fallout if anything goes wrong. 

I'm pretty sure the Beltie Beer Festival has a capacity of 2000 and is yet to sell out. So even if every single person that was going to that came to Boomtown Rats ticket sales would still be around half of what Status Quo managed to shift.

I wonder if the novelty value of the first gig was as much a factor in the increased sales first time round as anything else? Maybe worth considering it every 3 or 4 years rather than making it an annual thing?

Of course the biggest disappointment of the whole thing is the fact there appears to be plenty of people happy about this years failure allowing them to make "typical Queens" remarks.

Why not? What doesnt work or look right?

It seems to take an age to scroll through the stories and as a result when I click on one headline it isn't always that story I end up being directed to. I'm not going to slate the official website as I know it's upkeep is done by volunteers (at least that's what I thought?) and tbh it's more likely that my shitty Iphone is the problem. Most over-rated mobile phone ever. Fact <_<

With regards to the concert. Status Quo still have a solid following and are a well liked band. The Boomtown Rats surely can't have as big a hardcore following and their lead singer is a complete twat who would probably spend more time preaching than singing. I don't think this should be the end for concerts at Palmerston, I just think those in charge of it should try and persuade some better acts. Dare I say it but even new acts. I can't imagine Palmerston being unable to host some big names surely?