The Queen of the South thread

Great signing for Airdrie. He'll definitely do a job in that league. For me I think the time was right for him to depart. Certainly a minority view but I'm not devastated about him going.

Good luck Beanie :)

Great signing for Airdrie. He'll definitely do a job in that league. For me I think the time was right for him to depart. Certainly a minority view but I'm not devastated about him going.

I`m not devastated. I think he could have done another year for us but probably a good time for him to move on as you say.

He`ll be 34 later in the year so has done well to get a 2 year contract.

Good luck to him.

I see where you are coming from, but it all depends on who we replace him with really.  Beany is good for a double figures goal return most seasons, and I'm assuming he is a big presence in the dressing room as well.  Neither of these things are easily replaced.

Agree with above - I sincerely hope that whoever comes in has some good signing targets up his sleeve because Ian Russell will be very tough indeed to replace:-

A regular consistent goalscorer - only Derek Lyle of current squad can be considered in this light

A real grafter who always gave his all even when ball wasn't running for him

A positive influence in the dressing room

A player who opposing teams hate to play against

I think our reluctance to offer two year deals is probably starting to bite a bit. In a recent podcast Ian Russell indicated that he wanted to stay at QOS and I suspect the two year offer from Airdrie was a big factor allied to the family connection.

Not great news in my opinion.

Heard that there had been some interest in him - falkirk were rumoured to be interested.

I dont have any concrete info but the fact that he hasnt signed suggests that he is keeping options open but I might be wrong.

For me a very good player at this level - can play RB but could also do a job in Right Mid. Plenty of energy and pace - would be a bad loss in my opinion.