The Queen of the South thread

As most have acknowledged on the budgets thread, we will have the lowest budget of the full time sides and the 8th highest overall. Therefore, it would be pretty unreasonable to give Skelton a target of the promotion play offs. It would be more realistic to say that 8th is acceptable and he should only come under any pressure if we are lower than that. If we finish 7th or higher, he will have over-achieved.

Was thinking about it earlier myself and couldn't agree with you more 7th or above will be a great season !

As most have acknowledged on the budgets thread, we will have the lowest budget of the full time sides and the 8th highest overall. Therefore, it would be pretty unreasonable to give Skelton a target of the promotion play offs. It would be more realistic to say that 8th is acceptable and he should only come under any pressure if we are lower than that. If we finish 7th or higher, he will have over-achieved.

Agree with this entirely. Wasn't realistic to expect us to be contending for a play-off position last year on our playing staff budget, and it won't be realistic next season either.

Quite agree about a) getting behind the new manager and b) the importance of budget. It's money what talks the most , as always.

I still think that sacking Fowler was a bit harsh considering b). Given what happened though, I would have thought that, with his one year contract in place, Gavin Skelton will be under no illusions that he has to get to 4th or he'll get the boot too. Personally, I'll take being out of a relegation scrap again as mission accomplished.

Edited by Tam

Was thinking about it earlier myself and couldn't agree with you more 7th or above will be a great season !

I'd say 7th would be acceptable, 6th would be good and 5th would be great. Anything above would be close to exceptional.

Ayr, Dumbarton, Raith, Morton and Dunfermline are all sides I expect to be slogging it out in the bottom half. The top 4 will rarely change IMO; St Mirren, Hibs, Falkirk and Utd. I reckon Ayr and Dumbarton will be in the bottom two, but you could pick out a hat between the other 4 as to who will finish between 5th and 8th.

That's my prediction and no doubt it'll be miles away again. I had Morton to finish bottom last season :lol:

More re-signings today - Hooper, Aiden Smith, Brotherston, Moxon, Leighfield and Brannan

Good to see the club signing up some of the younger prospects.

Doubley good, as it means all the players pictured on the website in next seasons strips will be here next season  :lol:

IF they arent showing anything pre season, get them out on loan .Playing in that under 20s league will do more harm than good .They need to be playing competitive football .

IF they arent showing anything pre season, get them out on loan .Playing in that under 20s league will do more harm than good .They need to be playing competitive football .

In what way will it do them more harm? I'm all for loaning the young boys out, but I don't know what harm can come of them playing in that league.

I'd be hoping Moxon breaks through this year as well as Conor (can't mind his last name). Two promising looking players. Brannan at RB has always looked decent as well.

Connor Murray, Rhys Evans also is a decent player.

New signing in Steven Rigg, seems decently regarded by Carlisle United fans. One quoted as 'they should never have released him he will be our best player next season his hold up play and runs off the ball are excellent'

In what way will it do them more harm? I'm all for loaning the young boys out, but I don't know what harm can come of them playing in that league.

I'd be hoping Moxon breaks through this year as well as Conor (can't mind his last name). Two promising looking players. Brannan at RB has always looked decent as well.

They dont progress .I watched just about all of the games last season and the standard is poor .Its okay saying that they are getting games, but you wont learn anything playing against lads who are in the most YOUNGER .

Onthe subject of Budgets Hibs and Dundee United are clearly in a different world followed by St Mirren and Falkirk who will be similar to each other. After that I would bracket us with Dunfermline, Morton and Raith. i dont think Pars will be pushingthe boat out after their "near death" experience but they will still be a big force to be reckoned with. I would be disappointed if we cannot compete with these three midtable rivals.

Obviously I have not seen the new striker from Carlisle but that is exactly the type of signing that we need to start making to utilise our close proximity to Cumbrian/ North England market.

For me we have a potential competitive advantage over our central Scotland rivals if we can utilise Skelton's local knowledge and deliver some good imaginative recruitment.

Partick thistle, Queens Park, stenhousemuir, and airdreonians

Good draw.

Mmm, not sure it's that good. With Airdrie going full time they were about the most dangerous non-seed we could have gotten and Beanie is bound to haunt us. We got three non seeds from League One rather than any from League Two or East Stirling. In theory it's a harder progress than other groups.

Hopefully the two away games are the two in Glasgow. Not been to either in a while.

Interesting draw in as much as it's some different opposition. Might be tricky to progress though...

New lad from Carlisle is a midfielder they signed from Penrith, from recollection a box-to-box player who scores goals. May provide the balance to Tapping & Millar. Happy with this as a positive start to the summer.

Happy with the draw. Hopefully Beanie gets a warm reception and not a cringeworthy barrage of abuse.

I assume the top 2 go through and we play each team once? I haven't been paying attention to it in all honesty.

Interesting draw in as much as it's some different opposition. Might be tricky to progress though...

New lad from Carlisle is a midfielder they signed from Penrith, from recollection a box-to-box player who scores goals. May provide the balance to Tapping & Millar. Happy with this as a positive start to the summer.

Everywhere else I've read said he is a striker

Happy with the draw. Hopefully Beanie gets a warm reception and not a cringeworthy barrage of abuse.

I assume the top 2 go through and we play each team once? I haven't been paying attention to it in all honesty.

I think it's the group winners and 4 best runners up. They join the 4 teams competing in Europe.

Guest Flash

I think it's the group winners and 4 best runners up. They join the 4 teams competing in Europe.

Probably not much chance of being one of the 4 best runners up, so we'll just have to win the group.