The Queen of the South thread

Happy enough with that.  He showed continuous improvement as the season went on which is about as much as you can ask from a young player.  He certainly doesn't warrant the shameful level of abuse he gets from supposed supporters.

Yes, I'd pretty much go along with that.

I think he struggled a fair bit last season, but plenty of our players did. Probably worth persevering with.

Happy enough with that.  He showed continuous improvement as the season went on which is about as much as you can ask from a young player.  He certainly doesn't warrant the shameful level of abuse he gets from supposed supporters.

I'm not his biggest fan but he is a young player who will hopefully get better with experience. Some supporters seem to excuse poor performances by certain players because they are young (Pickard for example)  yet Brownlie does not seem to be afforded the same luxury. I also think we have to be realistic in the type of player we can attract and afford, if the Club is working to a budget, and that will be reflected in their ability.

I'm not his biggest fan but he is a young player who will hopefully get better with experience. Some supporters seem to excuse poor performances by certain players because they are young (Pickard for example) yet Brownlie does not seem to be afforded the same luxury. I also think we have to be realistic in the type of player we can attract and afford, if the Club is working to a budget, and that will be reflected in their ability.

I largely agree with all of that except I would put Pickard in the "shameful abuse" category as well. Much like Brownlie, he got a very hard time last season, with every mistake pounced upon whilst any positive contribution was largely ignored.

Dowie and Higgins are almost certainly going to be the first choice pairing again. And as you point out, I can't imagine our budget for a backup centre half is going to be very sizeable.

Skelton could either take a punt on an unknown quantity, or re-sign a player he has already worked with for a year. Who he knows what areas to work on with, and who he knows has shown promise at this level already.

Guest Flash

I largely agree with all of that except I would put Pickard in the "shameful abuse" category as well. Much like Brownlie, he got a very hard time last season, with every mistake pounced upon whilst any positive contribution was largely ignored.

On a positive note, at least anybody shouting abuse was making a noise. Have to confess to not hearing any abuse directed at anybody. Then again, it is possible that I dozed off during the relevant games.

Durnan never was going to come back. He is free to leave United (although that may have changed now they have a manager), but he still has 2 years to run on a contract on much more than we could pay him, presumably. He will not leave United for another championship team.

Guest Flash

16 July QP away

19 July Airdrie home

23 July Thistle away

30 July Stenny home

Does Millar miss any of these games after his red card at Easter Road?

Looking forward to a trip to Firhill, not that fussed about Hampden.

Went to the last game away to Queens Park. Bizarre experience. It's very much like a closed door game. Couldn't watch that every second Saturday.

Went to the last game away to Queens Park. Bizarre experience. It's very much like a closed door game. Couldn't watch that every second Saturday.

Back before Hampden was redeveloped ( don't know what the capacity was but I've been to Scotland games with over 100,000 ) they would open the whole ground, not just a wee bit of one stand for Queens Park league games.

It really was like spot the fans