The Queen of the South thread

I felt that while Kidd played a very high percentage of games he was sometimes dropped for no good reason whilst others survived. I strongly suspected that he would be for the off and if it comes to fruition that is a bad loss and an avoidable one. Surely we could have offered a young progressive player a two year deal much earlier and attempted to ring fence a valuable asset. To lose him to a Div 1 team is hardly good business and we seem to be taking a very "take it or leave attitude" to player retention. I can understand the Russell scenario ( although he will be a big loss) but the Kidd loss is poor.

I am not bothered about Oliver going but dont look forward to Jamie Hamill arriving - a player who appears to be on the slide and one who struggles to keep his discipline.

I felt that while Kidd played a very high percentage of games he was sometimes dropped for no good reason whilst others survived. I strongly suspected that he would be for the off and if it comes to fruition that is a bad loss and an avoidable one. Surely we could have offered a young progressive player a two year deal much earlier and attempted to ring fence a valuable asset. To lose him to a Div 1 team is hardly good business and we seem to be taking a very "take it or leave attitude" to player retention. I can understand the Russell scenario ( although he will be a big loss) but the Kidd loss is poor.

I am not bothered about Oliver going but dont look forward to Jamie Hamill arriving - a player who appears to be on the slide and one who struggles to keep his discipline.

I could see Hamill playing at full back. He played there for Hearts and Killie on occasions. Edited by RUSTY1111

I don't know how I feel about 2 year deals. If you get a good player it's a good piece of business, but can you imagine having players like Scott Mclaughlin or Calum Antell on the wage bill for 2 years? I think what I'd prefer to see is the club offering promising/good players a year's extension after say 4/5 months into the season rather than waiting until the end of the season.

Edited by 19QOS19

I don't know how I feel about 2 year deals. If you get a good player it's a good piece of business, but can you imagine having players like Scott Mclaughlin or Calum Antell on the wage bill for 2 years? I think what I'd prefer to see is the club offering promising/good players a year's extension after say 4/5 months into the season rather than waiting until the end of the season.

I agree to a certain extent but when you have players that produce the goods over a season or two then I think it is a safe bet offering a longer contract. That gives the player a bit more security and the club too when bigger clubs are sniffing about.

Of course players have to earn that right, but when they do I think it is only fair they should be rewarded.

I agree to a certain extent but when you have players that produce the goods over a season or two then I think it is a safe bet offering a longer contract. That gives the player a bit more security and the club too when bigger clubs are sniffing about.

Of course players have to earn that right, but when they do I think it is only fair they should be rewarded.

Yeah if you know how they have been then definitely a 2 year deal should be offered if possible. I'd have been happy with Kidd on a two year deal but in all honesty I don't think Russell has two years left at this level. Just my opinion of course.

My original point was more about signing an unknown quantity for 2 years straight away. Though I should maybe have pointed that out considering the discussion was about Kidd and Russell :lol:

Ha,ha. I know the conversation was about Kidd and Russell and I widened the scope.

I do think we leave ourselves open a wee bit though. It was clear most of the side that won us promotion a few year ago and some of those that arrived after that were good enough to be offered a two year deal.

I suppose I should counter that by saying I have no idea if the players wanted a one year deal or if it was the club's preference. It may have suited both parties.

Edited by qos_75

Kidd is so wildly inconsistent, he has about 1 in game in 4 where he is totally focused and switched on both attack and defence but often is a liability and seems to lose his man the most out of the defence. But if the rumour is true and we have to have a season of Darren Brownlie at right back I'd crawl over broken glass to get him re-signed. Do Airdrie have moeny or something or pushing the boat out this season? Quite often these guarantees of longer deals seem to bite teams in the behind more often than not from history.

I suppose Airdrie will be looking at the league this season and thinking if the spend a wee bit more than normal do they will every chance of winning it.

Not sure if Livi will remain full time but even if they do Airdrie should give them a good run for their money.

Surprised to see wee Gary Oliver signing for Morton - hadn't realised he'd left Queens - I liked him at Hearts - I'm assuming he wasn't great for QOS?

Oliver was played out wide more often than not and wasn't ever given a run in the team. He scored 2 goals at Alloa and ended up with 5 goals. Joining his uncle, Jim Duffy at Morton. Edited by RUSTY1111

I suppose Airdrie will be looking at the league this season and thinking if the spend a wee bit more than normal do they will every chance of winning it.

Not sure if Livi will remain full time but even if they do Airdrie should give them a good run for their money.

Airdrieonians are going full time. Ex-Queens player Marc Fitzpatrick is their captain.

I could see Hamill playing at full back. He played there for Hearts and Killie on occasions.

Yes I agree with that - it would be the better option as he is very limited in central midfield and more often than not he gets himself involved in winding up the opposition and generally being unproductive.