The Queen of the South thread

I'm looking forward to it.  I can't remember the last time we had a total b*****d in our team.

For all they are disliked, Lyle and Russell are more pantomime villain than genuine bad guy.

Edited by palmy_cammy

Don't post much and may be well off on this but worth saying.

When we signed Steven Rigg, the official site said "Gavin was delighted to get his man after trying to sign him for Workington before he joined Carlisle". I remember thinking that Queen of the South and Workington are two different clubs and it would be important Gavin adjust his approach.

We now have friendlies with Gretna, Annan Athletic, Penrith and either Ayr United or South Shields. Not sure how many friendlies we will get arranged but that is a good number against teams at/around the Workington Reds level.

Again may be well off - probably am - and Skelton hasn't been manager for long enough to tell, but something to watch....

Rigg has been at Carlisle since then where he done pretty well. Had a few opinions from Carlisle fans and all say we've got a diamond, hopefully that'll turn out to be the case.

And the friendlies, it's all about game time. They all seem to be local, with Dalbeattie, Carlisle (behind closed doors), Gretna tournament and Annan/Penrith(said it'll be mix of fringe first teamers/20s/trialists), there all localish so looks to me as though the club is just trying to make a saving instead of travelling and I don't blame them. It's all about game time, regardless of who we play it's not going to have the competitive edge which will come in the cup games.

As for Hamill, I totally agree with Cammy, it was something we missed last year, I understand he had a poor year last season but hopefully this can prove to be fresh start. Hes been captain at most clubs he's been at so is another leader on the field which can only help also. Looks as though he'll play at right back going by Skeltons comments yesterday. So it'll be a pretty experienced back three with Marshall who we all rate finishing it off. So I'm expecting our defence to be a lot tighter

Do the new shirts come with the SPFL patch on the sleeve?

I doubt it.

That said, as the name and number thing looks here to stay you would imagine a printing service would be available. Not a huge money spinner, but every little helps I suppose.

On the subject of Todd we only have one Scottish League club as near neighbours - surely we need to be "first in the queue" when it comes to recruiting progressive players from Annan. This is one of the few transfer markets where we have a local competitive advantage.

On the subject of Todd we only have one Scottish League club as near neighbours - surely we need to be "first in the queue" when it comes to recruiting progressive players from Annan. This is one of the few transfer markets where we have a local competitive advantage.

You would think so, really need to be taking advantage of it. Could we send them a couple of our up and coming youngsters for a few months? Then it's win/win for us, we get a seemingly decent player (not seen him) and likes of moxon etc get some competitive game time at a decent level.

He is not great

He's a very good prospect, and a few at our level are interested .As NM suggested could we not compensate them with a few youngsters on a seasons loan .Are we really going to suffer on the park, due to the "fiasco" off it ?  .

He's a very good prospect, and a few at our level are interested .As NM suggested could we not compensate them with a few youngsters on a seasons loan .Are we really going to suffer on the park, due to the "fiasco" off it ?  .

Fiasco??? Am I missing something

At a guess I would say it is another sarcastic comment directed at the Commercial Dep't because of the cancellation of the music concert. What some don't appreciate is that there are plenty of instances where more experienced people have had to cancel events such as plays and concerts when ticket demand does not reach expected levels. Queens are not the first and definitely wont be the last to suffer because of this.

The BoD are at least trying to bring money in from various sources in an effort to keep Season Ticket and admission prices down amongst other things, with more success than failure I would say. I wonder how many of the regulars who have a pop at the Commercial Department and BoD would be happy if these things were not tried out and the price of admission went up regularly each season.  

Are people still on about that. Some people are experts at holding a grudge over nothing. I not trying to single out or point fingers but those who still hold a grudge about things get a grip. Concert failed ah well no one died, club hasn't gone bust. I totally agree with far the briggs at least the club are trying things. Some will work some won't but the club and the people involved will keep going in trying to improve on and off the park.

Its some pretty big conclusion jumping, though, to claim that the club will be affected on the pitch and that it "cant afford" to sign Todd because the concert was cancelled

I think it's a shame that the concert thing didn't come off. I have sympathy for those closely involved and I'm not wishing to apportion blame to anyone at all.

If we've lost significant money from it though, I don't think that too massive a leap is required to see that having an impact on the pitch.

It's harder perhaps to argue that it would derail a particular transaction, but I'd be amazed if it didn't have some bearing on the things that the club can afford to do.

I think it's a shame that the concert thing didn't come off. I have sympathy for those closely involved and I'm not wishing to apportion blame to anyone at all. If we've lost significant money from it though, I don't think that too massive a leap is required to see that having an impact on the pitch. It's harder perhaps to argue that it would derail a particular transaction, but I'd be amazed if it didn't have some bearing on the things that the club can afford to do.

We dont know that we have though, thats kind of the point. 

Theres a lot of assuming going on, leading to some pretty, at best, dubious conclusions