The Queen of the South thread

I went to the Quo gig last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I looked at the line up this year and couldn't work out what the target audience was- it wasn't me though!

I think that having Sandra on the undercard was the reason it was called off.

So, what you're saying is that the playing budget could have been augmented by a profit. But if there is a loss, not augmenting the playing budget means it hasn't been adversely affected.

Appears that if the concert does well, it adds to the playing budget. But if it fails it doesn't affect it. I'm surprised all clubs at our level don't put on concerts when there is only a potential upside in terms of the playing budget and absolutely no downside. If it fails, all that happens is that the stand doesn't get a lick of paint this year.

Thats an over simplification of what I said.

We made a profit last season, so theres money there to subsidise any loss. Maybe the directors were prepared to plug the gap of any loss.

Assuming the cancellation of the concert has had a direct impact on the playing budget is basically saying that the board didnt have a contingency plan for the concert not making a profit. Given their running of the club over the last few years, that seems highly unlikely

We made a profit last season, so theres money there to subsidise any loss. Maybe the directors were prepared to plug the gap of any loss.

Assuming the cancellation of the concert has had a direct impact on the playing budget is basically saying that the board didnt have a contingency plan for the concert not making a profit. Given their running of the club over the last few years, that seems highly unlikely

At the risk of boring one or two, do you think it's likely that there were contingency plans in place for the whole thing being pulled and costing us?

Possible I suppose, but if that were the case it would sound as if the project was recognised as very risky at the outset. That would raise questions about the wisdom of ploughing ahead with it at that stage.

At the risk of boring one or two, do you think it's likely that there were contingency plans in place for the whole thing being pulled and costing us?Possible I suppose, but if that were the case it would sound as if the project was recognised as very risky at the outset. That would raise questions about the wisdom of ploughing ahead with it at that stage.

Hopefully the organisers took out some sort of insurance policy to cover the risk of cancellation !

At the risk of boring one or two, do you think it's likely that there were contingency plans in place for the whole thing being pulled and costing us? Possible I suppose, but if that were the case it would sound as if the project was recognised as very risky at the outset. That would raise questions about the wisdom of ploughing ahead with it at that stage.

Pretty much every business decision has some form of risk. Its pretty much standard practice to have contingency plans for the worst case scenario, so yes I would expect the club had something in place. It doesnt follow that this marks the concert out as "very risky"

Guest Flash

True. But if it had made a profit, they wouldn't have needed to use the money to cover the loss and they could have added that to the playing budget.

It should also be remembered that the concert loss can't really be considered in isolation. There were also lower crowds last season, no cup run, no live tv money and lower prize money from finishing 7th. The cancellation came on top of reduced income from the main sources. Therefore there were a lot of gaps to plug.

I think the notion that profits made from extra sources like concerts and the arena help boost the playing budget but that losses don't affect it is basically unsound.

However, I do agree that the board should be applauded for trying to generate extra income, even if it failed on this occasion.

Hope Skelton has some good signing still to come.

Why did we not go for Reilly ?

I am sure if we had made a effort to sign Reilly then he would have came back.

Is it the case that we will have players training with us because they can,t get a club anywhere else.

Reilly would have been a great signing to boast season tickets sales

Reily signs for the pars on a years loan deal, surely this is the type of player we should be going for, bit gutted if I'm honest that he isn't coming home.

Hope Skelton has some good signing still to come. Why did we not go for Reilly ? I am sure if we had made a effort to sign Reilly then he would have came back. Is it the case that we will have players training with us because they can,t get a club anywhere else. Reilly would have been a great signing to boast season tickets sales

Suspect Reilly was keen to link up with Allan Johnston again. 

Reilly going there doesn`t mean we didn`t try  to get him.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

It certainly appears we were in for him but he opted to team up with AJ again instead. But hey lets just make a wild assumption and have a pop at the club instead, it's a lot easier.

Taking off the blue tinted specs most of us would opt for Dunfermline over Queens if we were in Reilly's shoes. Sad but true.

It would be nice to think we could have at least tried to put a "first refusal" clause into the contracts of those that left. However I'm not sure if that's possible when the players were out of contract. Even if we had I don't know how that would work if, like in this instance, the player has a better offer elsewhere. It's not like we could force him to sign.

There's really no mystery to Dunfermline being more attractive than us. I'd have loved to see Reilly in a Queens shirt again, but my overriding feeling is not really one of disappointment that we missed out; it's more one of disappointment for him that he's out of the picture at Hearts.

It's pretty dispiriting that we lost all those players to bigger, better placed clubs last season and there's barely been a success story between them, apart I suppose, from McShane.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I think that's a rather pessimistic view.

Holt did alright did he not? He seemed to be playing most weeks.

Durnan I still feel can turn it around. Let's face it United's problems last season go deeper than Mark Durnan. If he is surplus to requirements at Tannadice then someone is going to get themselves a very good player who will be a year older and wiser from his experiences.

Carmichael's season was basically written off by injury. When he was fit he featured and I'm sure will be better placed to establish himself this campaign with a pre-season behind him.

Reilly played more than I perhaps expected given we all acknowledged his jump was probably the biggest. He's still young enough, and a season at Dunfermline won't do him any harm.