The Queen of the South thread

I'm not sure about shite but he's far too slow these days to play right back . He was playing centre mid for Killie at the end of his time there.

I still reckon Hamill would be effective enough in centre midfield in breaking the play up, like McKenna used to do.

Also reckon Hamill would be decent enough at right back if he concentrates on defending, allowing the wide midfielder ahead of him to get forward.

Edited by RUSTY1111

Guest Flash

Ah you meant as the season unfolded. Fair enough.

At this stage last season there was probably more cause for pessimism than there is now though.

I agree but there wasn't actually that much pessimism at this stage last season. In July, a few of the fans who post on here said we could finish 3rd. I never really understood how a worse team could finish higher or even the same. I had 5th to 8th, but that wasn't the general feeling.

I think most people now see a similar standard of team finishing in a similar place or lower, which makes sense.

I agree but there wasn't actually that much pessimism at this stage last season. In July, a few of the fans who post on here said we could finish 3rd. I never really understood how a worse team could finish higher or even the same. I had 5th to 8th, but that wasn't the general feeling.

I think most people now see a similar standard of team finishing in a similar place or lower, which makes sense.

There were a couple of people saying 3rd wasn't impossible as we didn't know how St Mirren would be. And a few who were optimistic about the playoffs still being attainable (which given we were 4th in February was hardly a pipe dream). Most people had us pegged for 5th or 6th though which barring our late season collapse would have been right. I wouldn't call it pessimism, more realism. But as I recall the general feeling was it would be a bigger achievement to make the promotion playoffs than it had been the year before.

Of course as you well know it's perfectly possible for a worse team to finish higher if the standard elsewhere drops by more. Just as it's possible for a better team to finish lower for the same reason.

Guest Flash

There were a couple of people saying 3rd wasn't impossible as we didn't know how St Mirren would be. And a few who were optimistic about the playoffs still being attainable (which given we were 4th in February was hardly a pipe dream). Most people had us pegged for 5th or 6th though which barring our late season collapse would have been right. I wouldn't call it pessimism, more realism. But as I recall the general feeling was it would be a bigger achievement to make the promotion playoffs than it had been the year before.

Of course as you well know it's perfectly possible for a worse team to finish higher if the standard elsewhere drops by more. Just as it's possible for a better team to finish lower for the same reason.

Yes, I know that. I qualified the comment last season by saying assuming the teams around us were of a similar standard to the season before.

Most people didn't specify as narrowly as 5th or 6th, at least not in this thread. At least 4 had 3rd as a possiblity.

I remember people saying Mark Kerr was shite when he joined us! He may have been a shite but he certainly could play football. Hamill isnt as bad as people make out. We still need a good 4 players imo. Of the squad we have Tapping and Hilson could get injured at any moment. Lyle at 35 being our main striker would be a risky move. Hopefully unknowns Rigg and Dykes could step up to the plate. Would like to see us sign 1 more proven striker like Nade! We definitely need another winger. We might have to wait till august when it becomes more clear who is available on loan

Queens Trust is now at 164 members, highest in years and just 16 short of the 180 target. Can you help? Then please join today. Less than a week to the members draw for season tickets. Ebay, paypal, chq, direct banking, cash couldn't be easier. Just £10 for the year or £5 for all concessions.

I remember people saying Mark Kerr was shite when he joined us! He may have been a shite but he certainly could play football. Hamill isnt as bad as people make out. We still need a good 4 players imo. Of the squad we have Tapping and Hilson could get injured at any moment. Lyle at 35 being our main striker would be a risky move. Hopefully unknowns Rigg and Dykes could step up to the plate. Would like to see us sign 1 more proven striker like Nade! We definitely need another winger. We might have to wait till august when it becomes more clear who is available on loan

I can't imagine we'll sign another striker. We already have lyle, hilson, Rigg and Aiden Smith. We definitely need more wide players though

Agree Mr X. Centre midfielder and a left winger are much more necessary than a striker although I'd love us to bring in Ryan hardie on loan.

As for the negative stuff, I must be the only one thinking we're in actual decent nick. Players that have left I'd probably only have kept Hutton and Russell. But Russell was indifferent last year and Hutton as much as I liked him, he didn't creat much for us. As for Kidd, Harris, Murdoch and Oliver the did Ok in spells but none irreplaceable or hard to replace. Tbh found the two loans very disappointing maybe not Murdochs fault as he was used at right back.

If we get in 2/3 more players with the above positions mentioned I'll be pretty pleased going into season. Just can't think of any left mids available

Edited by NM_1919

Agree Mr X. Centre midfielder and a left winger are much more necessary than a striker although I'd love us to bring in Ryan hardie on loan.

As for the negative stuff, I must be the only one thinking we're in actual decent nick. Players that have left I'd probably only have kept Hutton and Russell. But Russell was indifferent last year and Hutton as much as I liked him, he didn't creat much for us. As for Kidd, Harris, Murdoch and Oliver the did Ok in spells but none irreplaceable nor hard to replace. Tbh found the two loans very disappointing maybe not Murdochs fault as he was used at right back.

If we get in 2/3 more players with the above positions mentioned I'll be pretty pleased going into season. Just can't think of any left mids available

I wonder if Queens would get Harris or Murdoch back on loan, unless Carmichael is a better option than Harris from Hibs.

As for the negative stuff, I must be the only one thinking we're in actual decent nick. Players that have left I'd probably only have kept Hutton and Russell. But Russell was indifferent last year and Hutton as much as I liked him, he didn't creat much for us. As for Kidd, Harris, Murdoch and Oliver the did Ok in spells but none irreplaceable or hard to replace. Tbh found the two loans very disappointing maybe not Murdochs fault as he was used at right back.

Russell's goals will be hard to replace, but if Hilson can stay fit all season he should be able to replace a fair chunk of them.  Hopefully between them Rigg and Dykes can make up the rest.  Anderson sounds like more of a natural wide-man than Beanie, so hopefully we won't miss him too much.

I was a big fan of both Kidd and Hutton and considering both have gone to bigger clubs they must have something about them.  We've coped with far better players than both leaving though so no point dwelling on it.

As you say, we'll hardly notice that Murdoch, Harris and Oliver are missing so little was their impact.

I'd put our squad at the bottom end of the table just now, but get the remaining positions filled with the right signings and we could end up pushing for the top half.  Given that Fowler was deemed the fall guy for last season, I'm sure the board will be expecting better performances from the existing players as well.