The Queen of the South thread

What are your opinions on Reilly? Obviously Johnston rates him highly, and believes he fits our style of play. What kind of striker is he? Is he a poacher, or more of a hard worker/skilful player, that creates chances for himself?

Also, did he link up well with Paton? Paton set up a lot of goals for Faissal last season, so I think it's important that we have someone who will link up well with him again.

Solid if unspectacular signing in Anderson.

Wouldnt have been in our starting 11 this season really, so a good move for him.

Absolutely great work ethic and a cracking guy, real team player (was a few times last season where he was on the bench, not getting on after using all subs, and still behind the goals giving encouragement to players/celebrating goals etc)

Cant cross to save his life though.

Happy with Anderson. Always been a decent player at this level and we certainly need to add width to the squad.

Not overly bothered about Jacobs. Decent squad player and versatile enough for cover but I wasnt desperate to keep him

This, Anderson always been a player that seemed to well against us do in quite happy with the signing. Jacobs was alright without doing anything spectacular, obviously had his shocker up v Morton but apart from that you knew what you were getting from him.

Centre mid and a left winger now please Gavin.

What are your opinions on Reilly? Obviously Johnston rates him highly, and believes he fits our style of play. What kind of striker is he? Is he a poacher, or more of a hard worker/skilful player, that creates chances for himself?

Also, did he link up well with Paton? Paton set up a lot of goals for Faissal last season, so I think it's important that we have someone who will link up well with him again.

He's a 100% effort striker, and a reasonably natural first touch finisher in the box. He'll give you great work rate and never give defenders a minute's peace. He's certainly not a poacher though he has the ability to nick goals in a crowded box too. Not particularly outstanding in the air but has headed a few goals by nicking across the front of defenders and he's not easily pushed off the ball physically. I'm genuinely surprised he's jumped to Dunfermline so quickly, Johnston or no Johnston. Whilst getting a regular game at Hearts is not going to be easy I would have thought he could have gotten a lower Premiership team. I don't recall any particular link between him and Mick Paton but clearly they'd a couple of seasons together. Paton wasn't necessarily a regular starter with us at this level, as much due to injury as anything else. But clearly they know one another and did play together for a couple of seasons.

Say hello to a poster called "Charlie" for us!

Hope the Manager can deliver 1/2 great signings in next few weeks. Looks like we are developing a workmanlike squad that should be capable of delivering 7 or 8th place but on the surface we look a fair bit short. That said Rigg and Dykes may prove to be those two great signings if they settle and they are certainly at the right age to fit that progressive profile. We could also do with one or two of our home grown Dev players pushing through and making themselves first team regulars.

Happy with signings so far, workman like signings, another midfielder and left winger wouldn't go a miss.

I am sure the manager will pull of atleast another couple of good signings before the season starts.

There's a decent player in there somewhere . Good luck to the lad

He could well do better at the Bairns than at Queens but I'd rather have Hamill at right wing back. Edited by RUSTY1111

It's maybe getting a bit concerning now.

As expected, we lost a lot of very good players for this level to the one above last summer. This year however, we seem to be losing some of our decent ones, effectively some of the better ones we have left now, to divisional rivals.

I'm finding it increasingly hard to see us having much of a team this season.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

As expected, we lost a lot of very good players for this level to the one above last summer. This year however, we seem to be losing some of our decent ones, effectively some of the better ones we have left now, to divisional rivals.

Has Kidd ever been one of our "better" players? We've already signed a replacement for him.

We've lost 3 players to divisional rivals. We've also signed one from a team in this league and another from a team in the Premiership. That doesnt seem particularly concerning, or even unusual

Very much agree with this ,unless Skelton can sign 3-4 quality players , its another long hard season .

Has Kidd ever been one of our "better" players? We've already signed a replacement for him.

We've lost 3 players to divisional rivals. We've also signed one from a team in this league and another from a team in the Premiership. That doesnt seem particularly concerning, or even unusual

I'd say that Kidd was one of our better players when properly deployed last season, although I accept that that's no great accolade.

I think that thus far, we look like net losers in terms of ins and outs this summer. Plenty of time for that to change of course, but given how our season collapsed badly latterly last time, I think we needed to be substantial net winners. I fear though that finances probably prevent that.

It is what it is, but I'm not finding grounds for optimism easy to locate.

I'd say that Kidd was one of our better players when properly deployed last season, although I accept that that's no great accolade.I think that thus far, we look like net losers in terms of ins and outs this summer. Plenty of time for that to change of course, but given how our season collapsed badly latterly last time, I think we needed to be substantial net winners. I fear though that finances probably prevent that.It is what it is, but I'm not finding grounds for optimism easy to locate.

Got to say i agree. Early days still though. Aslong as the fitba is easier on the eye!

I'd say that Kidd was one of our better players when properly deployed last season, although I accept that that's no great accolade. I think that thus far, we look like net losers in terms of ins and outs this summer. Plenty of time for that to change of course, but given how our season collapsed badly latterly last time, I think we needed to be substantial net winners. I fear though that finances probably prevent that. It is what it is, but I'm not finding grounds for optimism easy to locate.

We're certainly net losers in terms of numbers, the quality remains to be seen.

Kidd has been replaced by Hamil, Oliver by Rigg and Russell by Anderson. None of those seem a significant downgrade, albeit Rigg is a bit of an unknown.

We havent replaced Hutton, Conroy, or the two loan players yet.

Next season is going to be difficult no matter who we bring in. The division is undoubtedly stronger overall

Hope the Manager can deliver 1/2 great signings in next few weeks. Looks like we are developing a workmanlike squad that should be capable of delivering 7 or 8th place but on the surface we look a fair bit short. That said Rigg and Dykes may prove to be those two great signings if they settle and they are certainly at the right age to fit that progressive profile. We could also do with one or two of our home grown Dev players pushing through and making themselves first team regulars.

Agree with this. The squad looks very average so far and we have lost some decent quality in Russell, Kidd, Harris, Murdoch, Hutton & Oliver (albeit Oliver in particular was hit & miss). The signings we have made so far are either unknown quantities (Rigg & Dykes) or rather uninspiring (if probably fairly solid) in Anderson & Hamill. Higgy, Dowie & Lyle are all a year older....

I know its still early days,but I really hope Skelton has 2 or 3 coming in to lift the quality of the squad a bit, but I fear the cash isnt there to do it.

At the moment I would reckon Hibs, Dundee Utd, Falkirk & Dunfermline will be much better than us. Raith, St Mirren & Morton look to be recruiting stronger than us. That, I suspect, leaves us in a 3 way fight with Dumbarton & Ayr at the bottom.  

Hope I'm wrong.