The Queen of the South thread

Before a signing was made/players left, I had us pinned for anywhere between 6th-9th next season. Raith, Morton, Dumbarton, Ayr and Dunfermline will be our competition this term. St Mirren, Hibs, Utd and Falkirk will be comfortably top 4 IMO. The rest will battle it out between the bottom. I reckon we'll finish 7th or 8th next term and Ayr and Dumbarton will be the bottom two. Raith appointing Locke makes 7th more likely for us :lol:

Either way it's going to be a long season again. I'll be happy if we can play some decent football, our manager finds his best starting 11 and doesn't chop n change, and we avoid relegation.

Agree with this. The squad looks very average so far and we have lost some decent quality in Russell, Kidd, Harris, Murdoch, Hutton & Oliver (albeit Oliver in particular was hit & miss). The signings we have made so far are either unknown quantities (Rigg & Dykes) or rather uninspiring (if probably fairly solid) in Anderson & Hamill. Higgy, Dowie & Lyle are all a year older....

I know its still early days,but I really hope Skelton has 2 or 3 coming in to lift the quality of the squad a bit, but I fear the cash isnt there to do it.

At the moment I would reckon Hibs, Dundee Utd, Falkirk & Dunfermline will be much better than us. Raith, St Mirren & Morton look to be recruiting stronger than us. That, I suspect, leaves us in a 3 way fight with Dumbarton & Ayr at the bottom.  

Hope I'm wrong.

Really? 

We're certainly net losers in terms of numbers, the quality remains to be seen.

Kidd has been replaced by Hamil, Oliver by Rigg and Russell by Anderson. None of those seem a significant downgrade, albeit Rigg is a bit of an unknown.

We havent replaced Hutton, Conroy, or the two loan players yet.

Next season is going to be difficult no matter who we bring in. The division is undoubtedly stronger overall

Conroy and Rutherford are not officially away yet but more than likely will be.

Rutherford was on loan at Arbroath towards the end of the season but was called back early.

Edited by RUSTY1111

Before a signing was made/players left, I had us pinned for anywhere between 6th-9th next season. Raith, Morton, Dumbarton, Ayr and Dunfermline will be our competition this term. St Mirren, Hibs, Utd and Falkirk will be comfortably top 4 IMO. The rest will battle it out between the bottom. I reckon we'll finish 7th or 8th next term and Ayr and Dumbarton will be the bottom two. Raith appointing Locke makes 7th more likely for us :lol:

Either way it's going to be a long season again. I'll be happy if we can play some decent football, our manager finds his best starting 11 and doesn't chop n change, and we avoid relegation.

This

Conroy and Rutherford are not officially away 

Arent they? They dont appear in next seasons squad list

This

Arent they? They dont appear in next seasons squad list

So it appears. No official confirmation of their departures from the club as yet, though no doubt they have moved on with pre season starting soon. Edited by RUSTY1111

Sounds about right.

This is the first season we've entered since the introduction of play-offs, where that doesn't feel like a viable target. That in itself is a bit dispiriting, but so be it.

If that's the case, I'd like a season where (aside obviously, from relegation being avoided) I come away from more than just one or two games, feeling that I've witnessed a decent one.

An impression of some sorts in a Cup would also help.

Kidd has been replaced by Hamil, Oliver by Rigg and Russell by Anderson. None of those seem a significant downgrade, albeit Rigg is a bit of an unknown.

Next season is going to be difficult no matter who we bring in. The division is undoubtedly stronger overall

To an extent a fit Tapping replaces Hutton. Not convinced Hutton would ever have been signed if Tapping had remained fit. I would expect Owen Moxon to play a bigger role next year too.

What made it any more of a viable target last season than this?

The facts that we'd been there during the previous two seasons and that there was then little to suggest that Falkirk would be the force they emerged as. The additional fact that St Mirren were poor once we started, meant that we were very much in the hunt until the spring when we became hopeless as Raith became terrific.

I don't think it's too contentious to say that we look less well placed for the season ahead this summer than we did a year ago, despite the apprehension we all then felt due to the departures we'd seen.

Ah you meant as the season unfolded. Fair enough.

At this stage last season there was probably more cause for pessimism than there is now though.

I mean a bit of both.

Of course there was plenty of the unknown about entering last season, but I feel that there was more hope. We all anticipated being weaker, but that was weaker than something previously pretty strong.

We've now endured a crap season and there's not much to suggest we're looking at a better one. I'd still see more cause for pessimism now than a year ago.

Unlike some, I'm happy enough with our managerial appointment. I'm also not advocating spending money we don't have, so I'm not really criticising anyone or anything.

I just don't see us as that well placed right now.

a good post and the transfer market only been open a week hasn't it.