The Queen of the South thread

wow! never felt this good about a player coming to queens in my lifetime! well done to the board and manager for this, hopefully as jim thomson says we can bring in another couple of quality players we will be challeneging for the play-offs

anyway in other news notice on the player profiles that lyndon dykes had had his contract extended for another season.

Guest Flash

Some said that Skelton's knowledge of the game in the north of England would unearth a hidden gem :)

Fabulous news. Not sure that it tops Fowler signing Heffernan, though.

The reaction to this signing has been massively positive.

A few posts have indicated that this is the most excitement we've ever had over a signing.  It's certainly true of the P&B era.

What other signings have generated lots of excitement in the past then?

I suppose that signing Goram was a statement of something and created a stir. Peter Dickson in the 70s had a big impact too, while Andy Thomson has already been mentioned.

We also had players for us in previous eras who'd starred at high levels and must have provoked surprise and delight when they joined.  

Because of what Dobbie did first time though and because this was so 'out of the blue', it'll be a tough one to match.

3 hours ago, overthetop said:

Time for folk who haven't yet got a season ticket to get one if they can.
Let's hope a few former regulars are encouraged back by Dobbies return.

Well said, that man.

I've already got mine but if I hadn't....   When he played for us before, he was worth the admission money on his own, no question.

As far as exciting signings go Peter Dickson as mentioned.

There was a player we signed and paid a sizeable fee for from Forfar I think. Generated a lot of interest, played about 3 games and was seriously injured. Can.t remember his name offhand.

I guess tho that this is the best of all!

Fantastic signing by Queens. Dobbie is unquestionably the most gifted and exciting player I've seen in a Queens shirt. Peter Dickson's signing (who had been divisional top scorer for a modest Albion Rovers team the previous season, was 'on the up' and expected to join a bigger team than Queens) is the only comparable one in my time, though Dickson, for all the subsequent excitement that he provided, in his first season particularly, certainly didn't have anything like Dobbie's pedigree, and after a meteoric start his career eventually dwindled into anti-climax. Dobbie, by contrast, consistently delivered for Queens, improving towards the end of his spell with the club, becoming almost unplayable at times, and has gone on to forge a decent career at a much higher level in the game.

I have to admit that my support for Queens has been flagging for years, ever since the Rangers vote fiasco. In recent seasons, for all the much-heralded progress off the park, it seemed like we have been narrowing our ambitions on the park: offering one year deals that allow other teams to cherry-pick our best players at season's end, and recruiting on the cheap, sifting through free transfers and loans to accumulate squads invariably weaker than the previous season's. Overly reliant on an inconsistent group of young players making the grade, and on a succession of managers making a silk purse from a budget more likely to produce a sow's ear, it seemed, from my vantage point at least, that survival in the Championship was the summit of our ambitions these days rather than a play-off place. The quality of football on display, last season in particular (at least at the few games that I attended), has been truly dismal. The platitudes I'd heard about the board being 'ambitious' was not echoed in player recruitment. 

However, time to shrug off all the lingering negativity that has afflicted me since the days when a certain abrasive Rangers season ticket holder's brief tenure on the board managed to alienate me (and doubtless others) from the club that I had supported for 40 years, and let bygones be bygones. Kudos to the board for delivering this fantastic signing, a real declaration of intent. I would have expected Dobbie to have signed for a bottom half Scottish Premiership club, amongst the ranks of which there would doubtless have been a few willing suitors, and at 33 Dobbie is surely far from finished. He will assuredly shine again at this level, so this is a real coup. And good to hear that a couple more 'quality signings' are expected.

Looking forward to the season now. I had us pegged for somewhere between 7th and 9th. Not any longer.

Edited by Frankie S

The most recent will surely have been Tosh. Even an ageing Tosh was an (as proved) excellent signing for us.

Before that I can remember the signing of Stuart Lovell being a pretty big deal at the time.

Neither of those two come close to competing with how I feel about Dobbs re-signing. For some reason I'm expecting him to be on the bench on Saturday (obviously hope I'm wrong) but the ovation he'll get when he comes on is bound to be spine-tingling. Another 'Morton' from him would be sublime :lol:

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

The most recent will surely have been Tosh. Even an ageing Tosh was an (as proved) excellent signing for us.

Before that I can remember the signing of Stuart Lovell being a pretty big deal at the time.

Neither of those two come close to competing with how I feel about Dobbs re-signing. For some reason I'm expecting him to be on the bench on Saturday (obviously hope I'm wrong) but the ovation he'll get when he comes on is bound to be spine-tingling. Another 'Morton' from him would be sublime :lol:

Yes, the Tosh one was notable, not least because it was meant to be happening during all of that January, but didn't materialise until the very end of the month.

As you say though, it doesn't compete with the feelings surrounding this one.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The reaction to this signing has been massively positive.

A few posts have indicated that this is the most excitement we've ever had over a signing.  It's certainly true of the P&B era.

I suppose that signing Goram was a statement of something and created a stir. Peter Dickson in the 70s had a big impact too, while Andy Thomson has already been mentioned.

We also had players for us in previous eras who'd starred at high levels and must have provoked surprise and delight when they joined.  

Because of what Dobbie did first time though and because this was so 'out of the blue', it'll be a tough one to match.

For me the only comparable one was Goram but because of his associations there were some people took that negatively of course. It's difficult to find a way to be negative about this one. Not even you've managed it!

I'm not old enough to recall the Peter Dickson signing and Andy Thomson's return was not remotely so surprising given he was back in Scotland and not getting a game a level up before he did rejoin us.

Tosh was a big signing, and far more important in context than Goram, but again, given his locality and the fact it he had been banished by Gretna and McCall had made his pursuit public, it wasn't remotely the same slap in the face shock. Goram sent a message of intent at a time following promotion though, was still a major name in the sport and had been playing for Manchester United 12 months earlier. It's the only remotely comparable instance I can recall. For once yesterday's news was actually kept quiet with no whispers ahead of it. Monkman managed to pre-empt the official announcement somehow but only by about 10 minutes and even then didn't actually give it away.

The reaction to this signing has been tremendous, and hopefully it does lead to a surge in season ticket sales and attendances. The Board deserve that for backing the management team here and getting the deal over the line. That Queens fans see this as a tremendous move is not surprising though. The pleasing thing for me has been the reactions of other fans generally.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

For me the only comparable one was Goram but because of his associations there were some people took that negatively of course. It's difficult to find a way to be negative about this one. Not even you've managed it!

I'm not old enough to recall the Peter Dickson signing and Andy Thomson's return was not remotely so surprising given he was back in Scotland and not getting a game a level up before he did rejoin us.

Tosh was a big signing, and far more important in context than Goram, but again, given his locality and the fact it he had been banished by Gretna and McCall had made his pursuit public, it wasn't remotely the same slap in the face shock. Goram sent a message of intent at a time following promotion though, was still a major name in the sport and had been playing for Manchester United 12 months earlier. It's the only remotely comparable instance I can recall. For once yesterday's news was actually kept quiet with no whispers ahead of it. Monkman managed to pre-empt the official announcement somehow but only by about 10 minutes and even then didn't actually give it away.

The reaction to this signing has been tremendous, and hopefully it does lead to a surge in season ticket sales and attendances. The Board deserve that for backing the management team here and getting the deal over the line. That Queens fans see this as a tremendous move is not surprising though. The pleasing thing for me has been the reactions of other fans generally.

Goram played for Hamilton twelve months before joining us.  The Man United thing was four months before that.

Anyway, how long was the Dobbie deal in the making?  Did it all come together very quickly, or were people biting their tongues for a while?

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Can you answer how long this had been in the pipeline ? 

38 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Goram played for Hamilton twelve months before joining us.  The Man United thing was four months before that.

Anyway, how long was the Dobbie deal in the making?  Did it all come together very quickly, or were people biting their tongues for a while?

Nit picking to a degree I'd be proud of. I expected nothing less. He signed for us in 2002 and played for United in 2001. He played one game as a Trialist for Hamilton as a favour. You'd have been more accurate saying Coventry City as he spent most of the season between United and us there.

26 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Can you answer how long this had been in the pipeline ? 

I wasn't directly involved so I wouldn't necessarily know. I usually only know about new players once paperwork is needing drawn up.

Like everyone else I was delighted to hear that the Dobmeister has returned to us. Hopefully, it will be a boost for everyone at the club and that he picks up where he left of for us.  

Tremendous news.