The Queen of the South thread

5 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Yes, really. As I've already said, last night was the 10th time we played Hibs in 3 seasons. So why do you find it so hard to believe that the novelty of playing them has worn off?

No it wouldn't have been a novelty if it was the Quarter Finals as we don't often reach the QF's of cups, especially the League Cup.

Perhaps you should look up the meaning of the word "novelty".

I don't think I've ever seen fans use the term novelty as an excuse tv, costs and travel being the main reasons and with it being Hibs, I'd say that covers two outta three for sure altho you do have hundreds of Edinburgh based fans.

You have played the majority of the teams 12 times or more in 3 seasons, I'm sure we stand at 15 in three seasons, will the term novelty be brought out then ?

Edited by MrDust

I don't think I've ever seen fans use the term novelty as an excuse tv, costs and travel being the main reasons and with it being Hibs, I'd say that covers two outta three for sure altho you do have hundreds of Edinburgh based fans.

You have played the majority of the teams 12 times or more in 3 seasons, I'm sure we stand at 15 in three seasons, will the term novelty be brought out then ?

The term novelty was relevant because the crowd was being compared to a game when we hadn't played them for a decade. With 3 chances to get to easter road this season, if you are going to one it probably isn't going to be a midweek fixture.

Well you have now. I don't understand why it's such a shock to you. I was in two minds about going but decided against it as I'll see us play Hibs at least 4 more times this season. It was hardly a glamour tie and not worth me losing sleep when I started at 6am. I imagine many others were the same. The same would have applied had it been any other Championship team.

Whether you believe it or not, had we not met Hibs in a couple of seasons we'd have taken around 1000 to the game last night. The fact is that playing Hibs doesn't have the same excitement for our support that it once did.

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

That's because as a Falkirk fan who has no doubt seen every one of the "big" grounds in Scotland in the last decade, there are no big novelty grounds for you. Being central belt based as a club, most of the grounds are easier to get to also. We on the other hand haven't played in the top division since the early 60's and haven't enjoyed regular cup success either so have occasional grounds which certainly see a novelty boost in travelling support. When we played Hibs away in the Cup in 2003 we took about 1,800 fans partly because the club was on a high and newly in the 1st division, partly because it was much closer to term time for students (back end of September I think, rather than early August) but mainly because we hadn't been to Easter Road for a game in well over a decade. When we played Rangers in the Ramsdens Cup in 2012 we took 1,800 there too as we hadn't played at Ibrox since 1983! We've played there 4 times in the league since though, each one having a lower attendance than the last and only took about 300 fans last season.

There was no great novelty in going to Easter Road last night and with it being a 90 odd mile journey for most midweek, far less people actually bothered. We were there in our last game of last season!

Would be interesting to see what we'd take if drawn at Celtic Park since we haven't played there since 1990. Motherwell too (one visit since the 70's and that was more than a decade ago) would be interesting also. Otherwise there are no novelty draws for us in the next round.

Is it really about how many times you see an opposition? Is it not about supporting our team? Regardless who we play and how many times we play them.

Opposition plays a big part when it comes to midweek away fixtures.

5 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Is it really about how many times you see an opposition? Is it not about supporting our team? Regardless who we play and how many times we play them.

That's where I am, by fuk i saw us play Partick thistle 7 or 8 times in one season.

We haven't played Dundee utd for a while, I know for sure our crowd won't increase because of the novelty, it will if the games mean something.

Our leagues don't really attract the novelty factor with playing each other in most cases four times a season, tho following my club isn't a novelty sport for me. 

50 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

When we played Hibs away in the Cup in 2003 we took about 1,800 fans partly because the club was on a high and newly in the 1st division, partly because it was much closer to term time for students (back end of September I think, rather than early August) but mainly because we hadn't been to Easter Road for a game in well over a decade. When we played Rangers in the Ramsdens Cup in 2012 we took 1,800 there too as we hadn't played at Ibrox since 1983! We've played there 4 times in the league since though, each one having a lower attendance than the last and only took about 300 fans last season.

Was it not more like mid to late October when we visited Hibs in 2003?

We weren't particularly on a high on account of being new to the 1st division - we'd been there for over a year.  We were on a high on account of being top of it at the time.

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Was it not more like mid to late October when we visited Hibs in 2003?

We weren't particularly on a high on account of being new to the 1st division - we'd been there for over a year.  We were on a high on account of being top of it at the time.

Could have been, I didn't check, but it was a last 16 tie so I didn't think it would have been as late as that. You are probably right that we were top of the table at the time and it helped. I wasn't meaning specifically it was out first season up though. We were undeniably still on a roll from the promotion though and regularly getting home crowds in the 2,000's, much higher than we do now. The whole 1st division thing was still a novelty then too even after a year.

12 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Motherwell away in the Scottish cup was some game. At one point we were singing for the game to be off when the snow was at its worst at 3-0 down and then almost snatched a replay at the death. 

Remember that one, didn't want the players to comeback out at halftime! Then wanted another couple mins added on at the end what a turn around.

That's because as a Falkirk fan who has no doubt seen every one of the "big" grounds in Scotland in the last decade, there are no big novelty grounds for you. Being central belt based as a club, most of the grounds are easier to get to also. We on the other hand haven't played in the top division since the early 60's and haven't enjoyed regular cup success either so have occasional grounds which certainly see a novelty boost in travelling support. When we played Hibs away in the Cup in 2003 we took about 1,800 fans partly because the club was on a high and newly in the 1st division, partly because it was much closer to term time for students (back end of September I think, rather than early August) but mainly because we hadn't been to Easter Road for a game in well over a decade. When we played Rangers in the Ramsdens Cup in 2012 we took 1,800 there too as we hadn't played at Ibrox since 1983! We've played there 4 times in the league since though, each one having a lower attendance than the last and only took about 300 fans last season.

There was no great novelty in going to Easter Road last night and with it being a 90 odd mile journey for most midweek, far less people actually bothered. We were there in our last game of last season!

Would be interesting to see what we'd take if drawn at Celtic Park since we haven't played there since 1990. Motherwell too (one visit since the 70's and that was more than a decade ago) would be interesting also. Otherwise there are no novelty draws for us in the next round.

And away crowd figures from last night SD ...?

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Could have been, I didn't check, but it was a last 16 tie so I didn't think it would have been as late as that. You are probably right that we were top of the table at the time and it helped. I wasn't meaning specifically it was out first season up though. We were undeniably still on a roll from the promotion though and regularly getting home crowds in the 2,000's, much higher than we do now. The whole 1st division thing was still a novelty then too even after a year.

Christ, don't bring up novelty.