The Queen of the South thread

2 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Any good ? Know he's still young and played a decent amount of games for you guys. Signed to cover injuries to 1st and 2nd choice goalie.

According to http://www.qosfc.com/ he made 35 starts for us last season. He has great potential but a long way from the finished article in my opinion. Still young though.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I rated him at this level and would of been happy with him being our number one that said Lee Robinson coming back meant he had no chance.

A few people have said and I agree with are good shot stopper but distribution not quite so.

For me decent at this level but will struggle to break into premiership team. Young guy with a good future ahead of him.

Former Queens player Danny Carmichael was at palmerston watching today's game, would be great to see him back with Queens adding more strength and depth to an already tidy squad that Gavin Skelton has assembled.

It's a long hard season and with lots of matches coming up soon due to early cup competition successes we are going to need a strong squad.

This is perhaps a bit harsh as he took his goal well, but I thought some of the touches and decision making made by Hilson yesterday stood out, and not in a good way. His work ethic can't be questioned, and when he gets them away he has a really strong shot on him. It just seemed to me he wasn't on the same wavelength as the likes of Millar, Lyle, Anderson and of course Dobbie. Even Rigg when he came on seemed to have a better understanding of where his teammates where, despite seeing very little action so far. Although I accept that he was thrown on against a tiring and thoroughly demoralised side.

Hilson will definitely still have a role to play this season, and his attitude and bad luck with injuries means I really hope he can kick on for us. However I think he is a really clear indicator that the overall quality of the squad has been ramped up from last season, where he looked a star and his absence was badly felt.

Likewise with Tapping I suppose. Although he is another player I really like, whose attitude also seems bang on. Jacobs was superb again yesterday though, so he is another with a fight on his hands getting into the team.

I know he was thankful to us for resurrecting his career. And any team you reach a cup final with will always be special to a player but it completely passed me by first time round just how much he loves the club. That has been as much of a pleasant surprise as his signing.

What a time to be alive!

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

This is perhaps a bit harsh as he took his goal well, but I thought some of the touches and decision making made by Hilson yesterday stood out, and not in a good way. His work ethic can't be questioned, and when he gets them away he has a really strong shot on him. It just seemed to me he wasn't on the same wavelength as the likes of Millar, Lyle, Anderson and of course Dobbie. Even Rigg when he came on seemed to have a better understanding of where his teammates where, despite seeing very little action so far. Although I accept that he was thrown on against a tiring and thoroughly demoralised side.

Hilson will definitely still have a role to play this season, and his attitude and bad luck with injuries means I really hope he can kick on for us. However I think he is a really clear indicator that the overall quality of the squad has been ramped up from last season, where he looked a star and his absence was badly felt.

Likewise with Tapping I suppose. Although he is another player I really like, whose attitude also seems bang on. Jacobs was superb again yesterday though, so he is another with a fight on his hands getting into the team.

I think that is more than a little harsh on Hilson. His chances so far have been pretty limited, to me it looked like he was trying too hard, if anything. 

Im not sure Tapping is fully fit. As you say, Jacobs is in fantastic form at the moment, and Millar is getting better each week. For me, its a battle between Tapping and Millar for who plays beside Jacobs. Neither would weaken the team, which is great.

That Dobbie article is fantastic :wub:

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Obviously the forwards have been getting most of the attention, rightly so as we've yet to fail to score in a game, but its worth pointing out that in the 10 competitive games we've kept 5 clean sheets and only conceded 6 goals. Thats a fantastic record

Indeed.  Not talking about the defence is probably the biggest compliment you can give them, they have strolled it so far from what I've seen.  Of the games I've been at they haven't been too strenuously tested, with possibly Falkirk causing the biggest threat.  There is no doubt the experience of Robinson and Hamill has helped, although with Dowie and Higgins it's not like we were missing experience last season.  The improved form of both Jacobs and Brownlie has played its part as well.  Both are clearly relishing the fresh start of a new manager, and the extended run in the team they are currently getting.

The "Skelton-effect" is definitely reminiscent of the way AJ binned the dross from Macpherson's team, keeping those he saw potential in before raising their game to a new level.

Jacobs looks a lot fitter which is probably down to him being injured for most of last season. That along with looking like he has a clear role in the team rather than filling in anywhere that has a space has benefitted him.

Even before Dobbie arrived we looked a lot more balanced and played with more purpose going forward. It's just doing basic things a lot better but now with a player of Gods quality in the team who knows what we can do.

On 11 August 2016 at 14:02, Skyline Drifter said:

The home club gets to keep 15% for expenses. If the expenses are cheaper than that they are quids in. If more expensive that's their look out. Remaining 85% is split 50/50 (after VAT). So no, they aren't absorbed, but the specific costs aren't directly relevant to us, it's formula based.

Cheers for that Skyline.