The Queen of the South thread

Speaking objectively any player would look at the potential of the Queens team with Dobbie there and choose them (you would think; unless there's a huge gulf in wages)

With Cardle and Higginbotham I don't see why Dunfermline would need Carmichael....

Any news on the injury to Dykes ?.

Is he going to be out long term.?

Dykes has been one of our best players this season.

If Carmichael was to come back then he would get a regular game for us.

Only worry about Carmichael is about his fitness missed a lot of last season out with a injury.

Danny would be a great signing as he will have a point to prove after his Hibs experience. Only caveat is the injury threat - would need to be confident that this injury is not a permanent feature.

I also see that Mark Durnan looks well out of favour at Tannadice - he would be a player that could give us a lot of mileage for many years to come as it is highly unlikely that he is going to be a target for other clubs who may now see him as a failed Premiership player. Personally, I think he is an excellent player at this level and with Dowie and Higgy getting on a bit it would make sense to try and bolster our defensive options.

Clearly it depends what cash is actually available but this would be a great time to really go and strengthen the squad - we have the Rangers windfall to hopefully add some value and with the Dobbie signing energising the whole club there will arguably never be a better time to make a couple of additional key acquisitions just to add some further quality.

It is disappointing that our outoing players from a couple of years ago are not really making the sort of impact that we hoped they might make.Durnan, Reilly (thought he looked a anonymous y'day), McShane and Danny have not established themselves. Holt has done well but he has been the exception.McShane is another player that might become available and if so he would be a good signing either on loan or permanently. 

Hopefully our ex players might see us as a good option especially on the back of the Dobbie signing. All depends what cash is available and how ambitious we want to be. 

Danny would be a great signing as he will have a point to prove after his Hibs experience. Only caveat is the injury threat - would need to be confident that this injury is not a permanent feature.

I also see that Mark Durnan looks well out of favour at Tannadice - he would be a player that could give us a lot of mileage for many years to come as it is highly unlikely that he is going to be a target for other clubs who may now see him as a failed Premiership player. Personally, I think he is an excellent player at this level and with Dowie and Higgy getting on a bit it would make sense to try and bolster our defensive options.

Clearly it depends what cash is actually available but this would be a great time to really go and strengthen the squad - we have the Rangers windfall to hopefully add some value and with the Dobbie signing energising the whole club there will arguably never be a better time to make a couple of additional key acquisitions just to add some further quality.

It is disappointing that our outoing players from a couple of years ago are not really making the sort of impact that we hoped they might make.Durnan, Reilly (thought he looked a anonymous y'day), McShane and Danny have not established themselves. Holt has done well but he has been the exception.McShane is another player that might become available and if so he would be a good signing either on loan or permanently. 

Hopefully our ex players might see us as a good option especially on the back of the Dobbie signing. All depends what cash is available and how ambitious we want to be. 

Can't see McShane becoming available, he has made 5 appearances do far this season. He hasn't established himself, but he has made himself a useful squad player.

I would only think Durnan would become available if they sign another centre back. He also has another 2 years to run in his contract there so they may be unwilling to get rid at the moment.

I agree that McShane is an unlikely one but when players repeatedly struggle to be first picks there is a big questionmark and  a loan deal also becomes a possibility. Unfortunately for Durnan the fans are very much against him and Coll Donaldson for that matter. They associate their dreadful season last year with comic book defending and sadly for Durns he was part of what is perceived to have been a paper thin back 4.  I suspect that they will be keen to cut their losses and perhaps agree a severance package with Durnan. It is always difficult when the fans are against you - I may be wrong but I think it is a long way back for him unless McKinnon is prepared to put his confidence in him. 

38 minutes ago, Duke of Argyll said:

Confidence.

Robinson is arguably just as important a signing as Dobbie.

Isn't Marshall just a wee gem?

And I like how an assured Brownlie is keeping Higgins out the team.

Agree fully about Lee but when it comes to Higgins i think the only thing keeping him out of the side is him not being fully match fit, once so there is no doubt in my mind he will stroll back in. Brownlie has covered well but Higgy is certainly a first pick when everyone is fit.

19 hours ago, DUMFRIES_CREW said:

Defence looks solid. Higgy has a battle on his hands to get back in.

Brownlie and Dowie doing well as a partnership

I completely agree. Brownlie is a bit more physical than Higgins and having him there as cover seems to have freed Dowie up to be a bit more aggressive in attacking the ball. The Higgins/Dowie partnership looked a bit slow and prone to direct running at the start of the season. Let's hope that Brownlie can continue to play without making too many mistakes, I'm sure playing with an experienced right-back and keeper have helped as well.

Agreed.

I would say Robinson is most important. But Hamill's experience is good. 

I like that Skelton sticks with a player (Brownlie) that has played well. 

You can add Jacobs to that list as well.

Fowler seemed to only play him when he was needed.

28 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

You can add Jacobs to that list as well.

Fowler seemed to only play him when he was needed.

Is that fair? Fowler played him but, in the main, he was pretty poor and largely criticised by the fans. There wasnt exactly a huge clamouring for him to be in the team last season, or for him to be kept in the summer.

He looks a different player under Skelton, so you have to credit the manager for that.

I would think Brownlie would feel very hard done by if he was dropped just to let Higgins back in. A settled defence is about the most important part of the team I would say and Brownlie's displays have merited his continued inclusion. In my view only a couple of really poor displays by Brownlie, (or Dowie), or injury, or a change in formation would be Higgins' way back into the starting line-up and he'll possibly just have to be patient.

Jacobs is maybe another player who has surprised a few this season and to my mind deserves his run in the team. He's maybe not a stand-out player but he works his socks off for the full 90 minutes. Fowler tended to chop and change the team depending on the opposition and Jacobs was hardly given a decent run plus he was asked to play in different positions when cover was needed.

I was talking to a Dundee fan the other day about Durnan. We settled on the problem being when you buy one half of a successful central defensive pairing there's a danger the pairing was greater than the sum of its parts. ie Durnan flattered by his partnership with Dowie.

I was talking to a Dundee fan the other day about Durnan. We settled on the problem being when you buy one half of a successful central defensive pairing there's a danger the pairing was greater than the sum of its parts. ie Durnan flattered by his partnership with Dowie.

I'm sure the Dundee fan cared tbh. We're just disappointed in Holt.