The Queen of the South thread

Can't see them having to take a drop in wages given that hibs will have to pay them off. That should bridge the gap to what we could pay.

I'd take either of them. Neither would be an automatic starter, but would be a great option to have, and strengthens the only area where I think we really need it.

I think Dykes has the makings of a really top notch striker. Him and Lyle up front with Dobbie probing just behind imo is our best combination. This creates space for the left mid position and I would be delighted to see Carmichael or either Harris vacate it. With guys like Hilson and Rigg aswell our options in the forward areas is exciting. I must admit the Dobbie signing has made anything seem possible this season

21 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

Have they been released or told they are free to find another club ? 

According to the Sun, Alex Harris, Danny Handling, Danny Carmichael, Sam Stanton and Jamie Insall have been told they can go if they can agree a severance package or find new clubs. Hibernian FC hasn't officially said anything so who knows what truth there is in it.

40 minutes ago, football maniac said:

I think Dykes has the makings of a really top notch striker. Him and Lyle up front with Dobbie probing just behind imo is our best combination. This creates space for the left mid position and I would be delighted to see Carmichael or either Harris vacate it. With guys like Hilson and Rigg aswell our options in the forward areas is exciting. I must admit the Dobbie signing has made anything seem possible this season

Thats a pretty attacking lineup. We'd get over-run in midfield with only one of Jacobs, or Millar in there

35 minutes ago, football maniac said:

If dykes and Lyle are up top and Dobbs in behind surely won't be room for a left midfielder ? Would personally like to see us attempt a back 3 again when Higgins is fit. Always thought we played our best stuff under Mcintrye and Fowler when playing all three of dowie, Higgins and Durnan. 

Think we can easily play this system with Hamill and Marshall as the wingbacks and Dobbs in behind a combination of Lyle, Dykes or Hilson. Rigg has been a bit unlucky to not have had more game time as I thought he would be quite a big player for us before the signing of Dobbs. Two from three of Tapping, Millar and Jacobs leaves us with plenty options with Anderson, Pickard, Rigg, Brotherston and Moxon knocking on the door. 

Any word on our plans for Atkinson ? Think a loan move is probably the best option but wouldn't be surprised to see him move on altogether. Would be a shame but Robinson is clearly our number 1 and I think most rate Thomson as the slightly better keeper out the two. 

If dykes and Lyle are up top and Dobbs in behind surely won't be room for a left midfielder ? Would personally like to see us attempt a back 3 again when Higgins is fit. Always thought we played our best stuff under Mcintrye and Fowler when playing all three of dowie, Higgins and Durnan. 

Think we can easily play this system with Hamill and Marshall as the wingbacks and Dobbs in behind a combination of Lyle, Dykes or Hilson. Rigg has been a bit unlucky to not have had more game time as I thought he would be quite a big player for us before the signing of Dobbs. Two from three of Tapping, Millar and Jacobs leaves us with plenty options with Anderson, Pickard, Rigg, Brotherston and Moxon knocking on the door. 

Any word on our plans for Atkinson ? Think a loan move is probably the best option but wouldn't be surprised to see him move on altogether. Would be a shame but Robinson is clearly our number 1 and I think most rate Thomson as the slightly better keeper out the two. 

Rigg has been unlucky he way down the pecking order. He should maybe get the nod in the next challenge cup game. He a good player to come in though should we be stung with a few injuries or suspensions

I'd also take both back but they wouldnt necessarily go straight into the team.

For me, we still need more cover/options in the wide areas, particularly on the left. Having Anderson, Carmichael and Harris competing for the two wide areas with Dykes, Hilson and Brotherston as cover would make a pretty strong squad.

Dykes has done well so far on the left, but its a big ask to expect him to continue that for a whole season. Plus, when he moved up front on Saturday he looked far more comfortable, Id like to see him get more time there

I agree with that.

10 hours ago, Mr X said:

I'd also take both back but they wouldnt necessarily go straight into the team.

For me, we still need more cover/options in the wide areas, particularly on the left. Having Anderson, Carmichael and Harris competing for the two wide areas with Dykes, Hilson and Brotherston as cover would make a pretty strong squad.

Dykes has done well so far on the left, but its a big ask to expect him to continue that for a whole season. Plus, when he moved up front on Saturday he looked far more comfortable, Id like to see him get more time there

I think before Christmas we'll see Dykes being the O'Connor to Dobbie's Dobbie with Lyle an impact sub. I think adding another experience wide player makes sense if we're going to carry on with the 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 to add an option to Anderson and Hilson though a slightly more solid defensive option might be preferable to Carmichael or Harris (I'd take the former if he's fit)

33 minutes ago, TeeMan said:

I think before Christmas we'll see Dykes being the O'Connor to Dobbie's Dobbie with Lyle an impact sub. I think adding another experience wide player makes sense if we're going to carry on with the 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 to add an option to Anderson and Hilson though a slightly more solid defensive option might be preferable to Carmichael or Harris (I'd take the former if he's fit)

I agree and I think the main thing stopping that right now is the lack of a left midfielder

Have to agree there. Dykes and Dobbie seem to link up well and dells legs wont last forever.

We still need a left winger for this to happen.

Marshall left wing Bob Harris left back [emoji6]

1 minute ago, DUMFRIES_CREW said:

Have to agree there. Dykes and Dobbie seem to link up well and dells legs wont last forever.

We still need a left winger for this to happen.

Marshall left wing Bob Harris left back emoji6.png

Im not convinced Marshall could play left wing. Hes at his best when the game is in front of him

10 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

It would be interesting to try Marshall at left wing. Or has he played there before?? Does anyone know if the club has approached Bob Harris. I think we should be approaching Bob Harris before Danny Carmichael or Alex Harris.

If there's any truth in the rumour that he has been training with then yes.