The Queen of the South thread

Colin Cameron played the other week for them.

He's involved with the coaching side as well. I think they were having a bit of an issue getting the lads over from France in time so I imagine Cameron played to make up the numbers.

Not looking like we will sign anyone.

In the latest  podcast Skelton has said if the right player became available only then would he think of a new signing 

He is not looking to sign anyone wants the young boys to come in when we need them .

It is a huge step from the under 20 team to the 1st team.

You really need players with experience in this league the young players should be sent out on loan  to get experience like Aiden Smith

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

In the latest  podcast Skelton has said if the right player became available only then would he think of a new signing 

He is not looking to sign anyone wants the young boys to come in when we need them .

You really need players with experience in this league the young players should be sent out on loan  to get experience like Aiden Smith

If the right player became available indicates to me he still has his eye on one or two.

Surely thats always the case

Our team has a real core of seasoned pros. I think it`s great that the youngsters will get their chance in that setting.

I think the reality is that the step up isnt that big at all if the players in question are actually good enough - the big problem for Scottish football is that the Under 20 teams are littered with players who are simply not good enough and who have little or no chance of making it. It therefore looks like it is a big step up because the standard at that level is poor. I firmly believe that if a player is not ready for first team football at age 18 - 20 it is probably an ability thing. There will always be exceptions but in other sports we see 20 year olds at World No 1 level far less turning out for QOS in the second tier of Scottish football. The "big step up"phrase is an excuse to avoid saying the player is unlikely to be good enough and if you look at the results in the early rounds of the Challenge Cup very few of the Under 20 teams have managed to beat League 1/2 opposition.

2 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I think the reality is that the step up isnt that big at all if the players in question are actually good enough - the big problem for Scottish football is that the Under 20 teams are littered with players who are simply not good enough and who have little or no chance of making it. It therefore looks like it is a big step up because the standard at that level is poor. I firmly believe that if a player is not ready for first team football at age 18 - 20 it is probably an ability thing. There will always be exceptions but in other sports we see 20 year olds at World No 1 level far less turning out for QOS in the second tier of Scottish football. The "big step up"phrase is an excuse to avoid saying the player is unlikely to be good enough and if you look at the results in the early rounds of the Challenge Cup very few of the Under 20 teams have managed to beat League 1/2 opposition.

Thats pretty spot on .

A few young players in the squad look there or there abouts in stepping up to the first team. I think the club has a good record of bringing on players.

I won't be upset if we don't bring anyone else in. We have a good squad with decent strength in depth.

I still think we need one or two, if injuries mount we arent covered enough cant rely on Moxon, Brotherston to make the difference from the bench every week, they need time even if brotherston has impressed. But Skelton is right no point signing for the sake of it, it needs to be an improvement on what we have eg the signing of Dobbie

I still think we need one or two, if injuries mount we arent covered enough cant rely on Moxon, Brotherston to make the difference from the bench every week, they need time even if brotherston has impressed. But Skelton is right no point signing for the sake of it, it needs to be an improvement on what we have eg the signing of Dobbie

Each player in the squad is well covered but if injuries hit in one specific area then yes we will struggle. Hopefully the season is not riddled with injuries