The Queen of the South thread

Very concerned about McKenna missing the Morton game because of his accumulated bookings . We have no one of the required quality to come in and do his job. First things first though . I am confident we can get at least point at Livingston . Gus seems to have woken up a bit ( touch wood) and all of our better players are available bar maybe Smith

thats if we can't get anyone in.

I hope I'm wrong (I do that a lot these days), but I really can't see us bringing anyone in.

I know it's been suggested that we might and we have offloaded a 'keeper.

The point is though that with the money we've got, who would be available?

I suppose it's conceivable that we'll unearth another body, but he's unlikely to be any stronger than the very limited resources we already have.

Maybe the looming prospect of relegation will send the board digging deep again, but I suspect the target now is to run sustainably. If that means we leave this division, then so be it.

What do others think? Will there be any arrivals in the next fortnight?

Firstly , I can fully understand if our dire financial situation means that we are just going to run with what we have and if its not good enough , then so be it. Secondly , if we don't bring anyone in then it's a clear relegation certainty. We have barely eleven decent outfield players and if any are missing through injury / suspension , then we are most definitely weakened .We are actually getting off lightly on the injury / suspension front and the chances are that it will not stay that way . I feel this is more of a realistic post than a negative one

I hope I'm wrong (I do that a lot these days), but I really can't see us bringing anyone in.

I know it's been suggested that we might and we have offloaded a 'keeper.

The point is though that with the money we've got, who would be available?

I suppose it's conceivable that we'll unearth another body, but he's unlikely to be any stronger than the very limited resources we already have.

Maybe the looming prospect of relegation will send the board digging deep again, but I suspect the target now is to run sustainably. If that means we leave this division, then so be it.

What do others think? Will there be any arrivals in the next fortnight?

I tend to agree, I would be surprised if we brough anyone in. As you say, even if there is some money available, the chances are it isnt enough to improve what we already have.

Maybe if another player were to leave, their wages, combined with McKenzies, could allow us to bring someone in?

This might be better in the QOS thread.

Anyway, I agree - I don't think we'll bring anybody in. Maybe Reilly can be seen as a kind of new signing and if Orsi comes back that might also help a bit. This will possibly be the way forward - young players replacing the deadwood. Sometimes it will work, sometimes not, but pound for pound, probably better value.

Arguably, you could add Holt and, to a lesser extent, Black into that category too. I do worry a little about the return of Orsi, not in terms of the player but rather the expectation around him. Hopefully, he can come back into the team and pick up where he left off, but thats a big ask for any player whos been out as long as he has, never mind a younger player with only a handful of first team appearances.

All 3 of young ones involved this year have looked the part. Holt for me, the left back slot is his, only way he'll develop is by playing and hes hardly put a foot wrong so keep him in. Black, has always been the best out of that 19s team, oozes class and makes it look easy when playing for them...another one who has never let side down, definetly a good option for cover but i'd have no qualms over him playing alongside guff or higgins, he'd be fine. Reilly is another one but for me id continue using him from bench for just now, hes doing fine but he's a bit of a DW...whether he could sustain the shift he outs in, in his 20/25 mins period, for a longer time in game is to be seen.

Orsi is a different ball game, came onto a game last year his pace was frightening. I really hope he does, would be a great option from the bench, to start with anyway.

As for signings, i won't hold my breath. But these boys are better options than the 2 pretenders.

Just read on the MAD site that our players train for 1.5 hours a day, 4 days a week. Or for 6 hours a week.

Is this true?

If so, it might explain why their technical ability is so poor, why they keep losing late goals and why they are currently below Ayr in the league (and they have games in hand).

Or, is this the norm? If so, it might explain why Scottish football is so shite.

Yeah I'm pretty sure this is fairly normal. It's one of the main reasons I don't think being part-time makes any difference at this level, in comparison to quality of player.

Well maybe thats the reason we managed to compete for six seasons as a part time team in a full time league . This being that in the period from 2002 -07 , there was little difference in the physical fitness levels between us and the rest . Part timers train two or three times a week and are known to top up their fitness levels themselves . If this is correct about full timers doing 1.5 hours a day , then what we see on a regular basis does not surprise me . What other FT occupation would get away with putting so little man hours in ?

Take it NO new players lined up in tonight's reserve match? Any more gossip in possible signings? Come on Queens BOD give us fans a little glimmer of an attempt at keeping our 1st div status with the introduction if new faces.