The Queen of the South thread

4 hours ago, JessieField said:

It will take a bit of time to check, but I doubt he played as a full back most of the time, I can remember him at outside left, left half, inside left, and centre forward as well as full back.

I would have said left midfield - no. 6, left half, in old money. Like you, I think I saw him play in just about every outfield position over the years and he scored one of my all time favourite goals at the Terregles End, on a mud and monsoon pitch, v Queens Park, I think, in a two -man breakaway: cross from the right, he dived at it, and headed it past the advancing keeper from the edge of the box, then his momentum as he slid on the ground took him to the six yard box. Top goals should count double!

5 hours ago, King Kebab said:

Chances are you may have won a watch here, Scott is what you would call a "cultured" fullback, very rarely will you see him hump it up the park, he likes to move with the ball at his feet and is more than capable of taking people on and bringing others into play, comfortable on either side of the park at the back or in wide midfield!!!

I would like to think that moving up a division against better teams and away from Airdrie and Peterhead type cloggers you would see him getting more time during a game to express these skills and really show what he can do!!!

Good luck to the lad!!!

Any idea how much you paid, says in the press a "five figure sum", was it 10,000 or 99,999 or even 100.01???

Probably nearer the first figure than either of the other two I would think. I thought he did ok on his debut, nothing spectacular but a competent start considering he was put straight into the team with minimal preparation. He could maybe have done better in the lead up to United's third goal when he backed off the advancing winger and let him get the cross in but others were just as culpable in allowing them that scoring chance so probably unfair to single him out. It's maybe a bit unfair to give an appraisal after just one or two games, likewise with our other recent acquisitions, so I'll wait 'til they have five or six games under their belt before getting carried away. Early indications are favourable however.  

Great stats - the ratio of games lost with late goals : games won with late goals is 19:6

That is an incredible stat during a period where we have been reasonably successful.

It is totally illogical because you would expect different managers and players to have different styles and different outlooks.

For as long as I can remember almost no matter who is in charge - we panic at the end of games when defending a lead (especially against a so called bigger team) we sit deeper and deeper and completely stop passing the ball.

On Sat at DUFC if we had been braver and established a high defensive line and really pushed up it is inconceivable that we would have lost two goals in a 12 min period. Our new midfield have rightly been praised but the reality was that Messrs Rankine and Co fell into exactly the same trap that we have seen for several years.

5 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Great stats - the ratio of games lost with late goals : games won with late goals is 19:6

That is an incredible stat during a period where we have been reasonably successful.

It is totally illogical because you would expect different managers and players to have different styles and different outlooks.

For as long as I can remember almost no matter who is in charge - we panic at the end of games when defending a lead (especially against a so called bigger team) we sit deeper and deeper and completely stop passing the ball.

On Sat at DUFC if we had been braver and established a high defensive line and really pushed up it is inconceivable that we would have lost two goals in a 12 min period. Our new midfield have rightly been praised but the reality was that Messrs Rankine and Co fell into exactly the same trap that we have seen for several years.

Think you'll find most teams are like that in that situation, Naysmith said it himself that it happens even at the highest levels of football, it's just people's natural instinct it'd difficult to change am afraid, but would much rather be 3-1 up than 3-1 down with 15min to go! 6 away goals in 2 games is good going by any standards.

11 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Think you'll find most teams are like that in that situation, Naysmith said it himself that it happens even at the highest levels of football, it's just people's natural instinct it'd difficult to change am afraid

Yes, but by that token, we'd benefit from other teams doing it, just as much as we'd suffer by doing it ourselves.

The stats say however that this isn't the case.  It's been a frustration of mine since the Connolly years that late in games, we have an exaggerated tendency to get deep and panicky.  The stats suggest that this is not a figment of the imagination, or a case of selective recall.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

8 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Think you'll find most teams are like that in that situation, Naysmith said it himself that it happens even at the highest levels of football, it's just people's natural instinct it'd difficult to change am afraid, but would much rather be 3-1 up than 3-1 down with 15min to go! 6 away goals in 2 games is good going by any standards.

If most teams did it, our stats would be 50-50, but they're not.

So far this season, it has cost us 4 points (meaning we'd be 2 behind Falkirk, not 6) and potentially cost us a game against Celtic worth £££s.

This has been compensated by our late goals which have earned us precisely zero.

Edited by Flash

Totally agree 6 goals in two away games is terrific but when you see overwhelming stats like that is it not reasonable to step back and say ...........we are going to adopt a different approach when next in that position. We keep adopting the same tactics and not surprisingly keep getting the same results.

That result felt like a defeat and Utd couldn't believe their luck.

15 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Totally agree 6 goals in two away games is terrific but when you see overwhelming stats like that is it not reasonable to step back and say ...........we are going to adopt a different approach when next in that position. We keep adopting the same tactics and not surprisingly keep getting the same results.

That result felt like a defeat and Utd couldn't believe their luck.

Naysmith did say in his post match interview that he wants us to be braver and defend higher up, even with a lead.

Naysmith did say in his post match interview that he wants us to be braver and defend higher up, even with a lead.

It obviously comes from the bad run we were on, and them throwing Durnan up front. Yes disappointing to lose the lead, no getting by it, but I'd have bit your hand off before the game for the point. New signings continue to impress, with two more to come in I'm excited to see what comes.

First goal yesterday, I thought brownlie was to lax letting the ball drop over his shoulder, been a flaw for him ever since he came to club, definitely has come a long way but this would be something he could improve on. Second wee Dans fault at back post, although I think he should have been subbed before it as he was clearly out on his feet. The third, thought it was a foul on Thomson but should still be dealing with it.

Now a massive game next week, we win, that result looks fine. Definitely moving in right direction under Naysmith though.

1 hour ago, NM_1919 said:

New signings continue to impress, with two more to come in I'm excited to see what comes.

Two more signings? A forward and a defender by any chance? If they are as good as Naysmith's signings so far we will definitely be pushing for top 4 place.

Two more signings? A forward and a defender by any chance? If they are as good as Naysmith's signings so far we will definitely be pushing for top 4 place.

Yep Centre back don't mind strengthen there. At the moment it's dowie brownlie and higgins and that's it if I right. Injury or suspensions kick in and we look weak in that area. If I got that wrong anyone please enlighten.

Yep Centre back don't mind strengthen there. At the moment it's dowie brownlie and higgins and that's it if I right. Injury or suspensions kick in and we look weak in that area. If I got that wrong anyone please enlighten.

We still have Hooper as well. It's unlikely we'd be missing 2 of the 3, so Hooper is adequate cover.

We still have Hooper as well. It's unlikely we'd be missing 2 of the 3, so Hooper is adequate cover.

Did someone on here not say he was out the door. Obviously not seen it on the official site but never know if it's true.

You say adequate cover but that is only I think with dowie or higgins next to him. Brownlie hooper partnership at the back doesn't sound appealing but could be a possibility if injuries and/or suspensions kick in.

Watson of Falkirk has been rumoured - he would be a good signing but fitness has been an issue so a big call to be made given our bad luck on this front.

Personally I like the idea of us identifying young progressive types from League 1. Mercer meets that profile and while it is early days for him the Manager's knowledge of that scene could be invaluable.

34 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Watson of Falkirk has been rumoured - he would be a good signing but fitness has been an issue so a big call to be made given our bad luck on this front.

Personally I like the idea of us identifying young progressive types from League 1. Mercer meets that profile and while it is early days for him the Manager's knowledge of that scene could be invaluable.

Id take Watson on a contract to the end of the season to see how it goes but I wouldnt take the risk on an 18 month deal.

32 minutes ago, bridge of allan bairn said:

Good player imo a bit like rankin though we are over endowed with centre half's and it's sadly worked against him

Yeah, I dont think theres too much question over his ability, its his injury record I'd be concerned about.

I didnt realise he was so young, I thought he was past 30