The Queen of the South thread

I've always thought that we're making it hard for ourselves in terms of youth development.

The youth leagues and teams in D&G are all pretty well run with plenty of participants, would it be a massive negative not to bother with any official QoS teams below under 15 level. 

Instead work with the existing local teams and build a mutually beneficial relationship with them and their coaches. 

Once a month the best 14 year olds could come to palmy for a training day with our under 17 team. We'd have a good idea about which ones to try and sign when they hit 15. 

Surely the important thing is to get the best prospects playing the most minutes, rather than sitting on a bench for QoS under 14's etc. 

10 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Naysmith must surely get the Queens players training down in Dumfries at Palmerston this week even if just to get our new & loan signings familiar with the pitch and surroundings before he Hibs game on Saturday.

Would be amazed if Queens don,t train at Palmerston this week.

The 4 new signing have to get try and get a feel for our 3G pitch.Any news on the 2 players Naysmith hope,s to bring in .Are we still after the boy from Celtic on loan.

59 minutes ago, Senior_Coconut said:

I've always thought that we're making it hard for ourselves in terms of youth development.

The youth leagues and teams in D&G are all pretty well run with plenty of participants, would it be a massive negative not to bother with any official QoS teams below under 15 level. 

Instead work with the existing local teams and build a mutually beneficial relationship with them and their coaches. 

Once a month the best 14 year olds could come to palmy for a training day with our under 17 team. We'd have a good idea about which ones to try and sign when they hit 15. 

Surely the important thing is to get the best prospects playing the most minutes, rather than sitting on a bench for QoS under 14's etc.

You're either in Club Academy or you're not. If you are then it's a minimum to run the 3 age groups we do. If you're not then you bin youth development altogether. Or at least in terms of official SFA activity, and it reduces your licence to Entry level.

The SFA is currently proposing major changes in the game under the Project Brave banner. We'll see what it actually means for us in the next few months I guess but it may have major ramifications for the youth setup.

Just watched the highlights on Sons TV, couple of tidy finishes from Thomas.

Read Naysmith keen to bring players in, but won't unless he thinks they will add to the squad. Won't bring in just to add bodies.

14 hours ago, outsider said:

Fair points Mr X, don't know what the answer is but it isn't sitting on the bench on a Saturday and playing for the 20's during the week. If the youngsters aren't good enough to get game time in the 3rd division as you suggest perhaps that should tell the club something? The next step down is the Lowland league, a few of the lads were out on loan at Gretna earlier I believe, perhaps Gretna and Dalbeattie Star are the best options.

I dont know the answer either.

I guess the key thing is expectation. What exactly is, or should be, our expectations for the youth teams? Is it to produce one first team player a year or two, three? Also, where are we in relation to other, similar, clubs?

52 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

Good news everyone, we've already beaten last seasons away points total by 2 points with 6 games to go. #progress

We've also already quadrupled the points total from the last quarter.

Not many do, but there are a few, which are officially available to non-UK residents.
Off the top of my head, I think its just these four in our division at the moment
Falkirk
Raith
Hibs
Dundee Utd
ETA - some of those also offer live audio commentary but I dont think anyone else does. Pretty sure Morton used to

Never mind who else is doing it! Why aren't WE doing it?

I would happily pay for this service and I'm sure there's plenty of other expats who have enough money to pay for such a service [emoji6]

24 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

They should allow clubs to do live streaming for a cost even in the U.K. I would pay for it.

The problem with that is it's counter productive to people actually attending the game. Especially where they are paying the away club for coverage but it's the home club's gate that suffers.

39 minutes ago, BIGdavieT said:

Never mind who else is doing it! Why aren't WE doing it?

I would happily pay for this service and I'm sure there's plenty of other expats who have enough money to pay for such a service emoji6.png

Lost of little reasons really.

No one else has ever asked about it, so its debatable if the demand is there.

Technically, the broadband at Palmerston isnt great and the main connections are all in the Main stand, whereas the camera gantry is in the New Stand. Im not entirely sure that the camera is capable of live transmission and we've certainly no sound equipment. Im not sure if any other clubs have managed to broadcast from Palmerston

Physically, there isnt really anyone to do it other than those that do the highlights and live updates at the moment.

None of which are unsolvable but together make it something we've just never done. It was discussed a few years ago and almost happened but the person working on the website who had the expertise to do it left.

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The problem with that is it's counter productive to people actually attending the game. Especially where they are paying the away club for coverage but it's the home club's gate that suffers.

You could argue, though, that there are plenty of people who have no intention of attending games but would pay to watch it online. Thats additional, not lost, revenue. If it were allowed you could stop away teams broadcasting, or allow them to where the home team doesnt but share the revenue.

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

You could argue, though, that there are plenty of people who have no intention of attending games but would pay to watch it online. Thats additional, not lost, revenue. If it were allowed you could stop away teams broadcasting, or allow them to where the home team doesnt but share the revenue.

You could argue that, and you'd be right of course but there's no telling how many people just wouldn't bother going who do currently if you had the option of paying for live coverage.

I'd be more amenable to the option if as you suggest the proceeds of the broadcast went to the home team or if the away team has sold out their allocation of tickets as Rangers and Hearts did. That's not what happens right now though. If the away team broadcasts a game they get the revenue.

5 hours ago, PALMYLAD said:

Don't they train on it every day at Broadwood.... :)

Every 3G pitch is different.The 3G pitch say at Falkirk is completely different to ours.Surely best to train on the pitch you are going to play on  especially if you have never played on it before.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

How much would people be willing to pay?

Why not £20 a match so actually making it cheaper to attend (admission only) matches which may not affect income as much. It may increase income!