The Queen of the South thread

Why the glad to see Dykes sign on again
He can't score goals he has lost his confidence
, for being a tall lad, he never wins a header, and when he does get a chance of goal he fluffy it.

He's only 21, and clearly has the attributes to be a good player at this level. It's also his first year at this level. I'm quite happy to see him here for another year and hopefully he develops a bit further.

29 minutes ago, The Caul Back said:

Another thing about Queens is their lack of scoring from corners, I can't remember this season they last scored from one, today's game they had 10 corners and never looked scoring from any of them.

Biggest problem today was over hitting corners.

Is Dobbie the best person to take them (and free kicks)? Is he not better in and around the box to pick up scarps?

Good business that, particularly Jacobs.

I'd like to see Lyle, Carmichael, Dykes, Brownlie and Atkinson to sign on again, then build the rest around that. I've probably missed someone obvious as well.

Curious why you'd like to see Carmichael or Atkinson signed?

Good progress on the signing front. Dykes started promisingly but has struggled. On balance is probably worth another year but needs to make more of an impact than he is doing. Given the pace that our game is played at his touch lets him down.

I would like us to sign a good commanding centre back but I would keep Dowie if possible.

10 hours ago, The Caul Back said:

Why the glad to see Dykes sign on again
He can't score goals he has lost his confidence
, for being a tall lad, he never wins a header, and when he does get a chance of goal he fluffy it.

He showed early in the season he has potential to be a very decent player.

But hey let`s accept that as soon as a promising young player loses confidence and struggles a bit after being injured that we`d be as well letting him go at the end of the season.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

5 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Good progress on the signing front. Dykes started promisingly but has struggled. On balance is probably worth another year but needs to make more of an impact than he is doing. Given the pace that our game is played at his touch lets him down.

I would like us to sign a good commanding centre back but I would keep Dowie if possible.

He is too one footed aswell. This causes him to cut in all the time when going with the other foot would be such a better option. It seems his left foot is just for standing on and this needs worked on. He does have some good attributes though. Against Linfield he was awesome

1 minute ago, football maniac said:

He is too one footed aswell. This causes him to cut in all the time when going with the other foot would be such a better option. It seems his left foot is just for standing on and this needs worked on. He does have some good attributes though. Against Linfield he was awesome

Did Dykes not go past the Dundee United right back and hit a fantastic cross with his left foot last week pretty much straight after he came on. I had had a couple of beers mind you so it might have been someone else :lol:.

In fairness to Dykes he started the season as a wide player under Skelton whereas Naysmith clearly sees him as a more traditional centre forward. Winning headers, holding it up etc.

So aside from playing at a far higher level than he's ever played at before he's also having to adapt his game mid-season. All things considered I think he's done alright. Definitely shown enough to deserve persevering with.

Naysmith sounds like the type of manager that enjoys the coaching side so I've high hopes that he can improve some of the rough diamonds in our squad such as Marshall, Brownlie and Dykes.

In fairness to Dykes he started the season as a wide player under Skelton whereas Naysmith clearly sees him as a more traditional centre forward. Winning headers, holding it up etc.

So aside from playing at a far higher level than he's ever played at before he's also having to adapt his game mid-season. All things considered I think he's done alright. Definitely shown enough to deserve persevering with.

Naysmith sounds like the type of manager that enjoys the coaching side so I've high hopes that he can improve some of the rough diamonds in our squad such as Marshall, Brownlie and Dykes.

Lyndon had a bit a bad patch when everything was going wrong for us, but the boy definitely has something. Think he's a great option from bench at the moment, he's done better recently so hopefully finding form again. Definitely worth preservering. Likewise other 2, brownlie who has come on a lot but as Naysmith said about Marshall there's still areas of their game to work which I'm sure he will do

How much had Skelton seen of Dykes before he signed him?

I'm not sure of the dates but if Dykes was playing for the 20's while Skelton was assistant (I'm sure he was) then he'll have seen him play a few times at that level. Fowler and Skelton regularly attended 20's games (the games I went to see at least).

I'd stick with Dykes for another year. My biggest issue is that for two home games in a row he's been brought on and used as a target man. We're a weaker side in general when we go long (high) but I don't think Dykes is particularly great in the air so I hope that's not what he's expecting from the lad.

14 hours ago, The Caul Back said:

Another thing about Queens is their lack of scoring from corners, I can't remember this season they last scored from one, today's game they had 10 corners and never looked scoring from any of them.

I can.  

It happened in the first half of the game back on February 25th 2017 against Raith Rovers.  If memory serves, I think it was Lyle who scored.

11 hours ago, NM_1919 said:

Curious why you'd like to see Carmichael or Atkinson signed?

Carmichael because we know what he is capable of at this level. He hasn't really been fully fit this season but I would like to think that with a full pre-season behind him he'd have more of an impact. His first touch is definitely still there.

Atkinson because I think he's good enough at this level, as I've just said in the Raith match thread, I'd like to see him take over for the rest of the season, as Robinson has conceded quite a few goals that he simply shouldn't have this year.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I can.  

It happened in the first half of the game back on February 25th 2017 against Raith Rovers.  If memory serves, I think it was Lyle who scored.

Dowie also came very close from one yesterday, and I'm sure our "training ground" attempt when Mercer made a late run and then crossed it in from deep created a decent chance as well.

There were a lot of disappointingly poor efforts as well.  I'm sure the wind played its part in these though.

I can't say I'm keen on Dobbie taking corners. He should be around or on the edge of the box given he has the composure should it drop. If his deliveries were Beckhamesque then I could see why he's on them but they aren't very good at all.