The Queen of the South thread

Guest Flash
12 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Nope! Already signed up for next season are - Robinson Mercer Marshall Jacobs Rankin Dykes Dobbie.

Are they signed up for our assault on the Premiership next season?

Made my first visit to Palmerston Park yesterday...and fell in love!  What a cracking stadium you have!
My son and I have given ourselves the target of visiting all 42 SPFL grounds and Palmerston is our favourite so far by a long way -(https://visitthe42.wordpress.com/2017/03/04/13-palmerston-park-queen-of-the-south/)
Stewards were friendly and helpful.  Club mascot made the effort of coming up the stand to greet my son.  Really did get the vibe of a community club.
Big thumbs up from us!

Some good reads on your blog.

19 minutes ago, madton said:

Am I missing something?

You were the form team in the league going into yesterday. You boys were buzzing after humping us and suddenly because you lost to Falkirk, you want rid of most of the squad etc.

I've still got concerns about you lot catching us. We need to win next week to put that to bed.

It maybe does look like something of an overreaction and perhaps it is.

It's difficult to convey quite how desperate we were yesterday though.  You weren't there Man.

9 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

So we have the following under contract for next year (I've no doubt missed at least 1)

Goalkeepers

Lee Robinson

Defenders

Scott Mercer
Jordan Marshall

Midfielders

John Rankin
Kyle Jacobs

Forwards

Stephen Dobbie
Lyndon Dykes

Of the rest, I'd keep Atkinson, Brownlie, Carmichael, Lyle and Hilson. And if either of the loan players could return that would be great.

The rest can go.

Derek Lyle has verbally agreed a new contract.

I would only keep Brownlie and Carmichael of the rest.

Atkinson time has come to move on no good to anyone him on the bench every game.Hilson contract has to be a play and pay contract Surely we can, gamble on his fitness again.

47 minutes ago, madton said:

Am I missing something?

You were the form team in the league going into yesterday. You boys were buzzing after humping us and suddenly because you lost to Falkirk, you want rid of most of the squad etc.

I've still got concerns about you lot catching us. We need to win next week to put that to bed.

WLWLWL

Haven't had back to back wins since September..... But they are back

Edited by MrDust

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Nice wee write up. Just a couple of things though. Under 16's are normally £5, yesterday's free entry wasn't the norm. And if you ever want to come back you'll be more than welcome as long as you call us 'The Doonhamers' and NOT "The Doonhammers" :lol: You're not the only person to have done it. I've even heard our very own local radio pronounce it "hammers" instead of "hamers".

Enjoy the rest of the stadiums.

Thanks for the comments and the corrections.  Much appreciated.

We will definitely be back once we've completed the 42.  Only a 80 minute journey from home so not too bad!

I think Naysmith made a mistake during the January transfer window by not bringing in more cover for the CH positions. Yesterday proved again that Dowie's and Brownlie's form is too erratic and the same applies to Higgins when he gets a chance. Who does that leave as cover or alternative, probably only Hooper who can't get a regular gig on the bench and is free move on if he finds another Club, if he hasn't done so already. We seem to be well covered in midfield and have adequate options up front, especially now that Hilson is back in the squad, but we are losing too many sloppy, avoidable goals which the defence, especially the central pairing, have played a big part. 

5 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I think Naysmith made a mistake during the January transfer window by not bringing in more cover for the CH positions. Yesterday proved again that Dowie's and Brownlie's form is too erratic and the same applies to Higgins when he gets a chance. Who does that leave as cover or alternative, probably only Hooper who can't get a regular gig on the bench and is free move on if he finds another Club, if he hasn't done so already. We seem to be well covered in midfield and have adequate options up front, especially now that Hilson is back in the squad, but we are losing too many sloppy, avoidable goals which the defence, especially the central pairing, have played a big part. 

He did try and get a centre half in on loan in Jan.

Am I missing something?

Fair point that you make.

My frustration stems from this squad's inability to raise their game when the situation demands it. I find it very difficult to forgive an utterly careless and casual away defeat to a poor Albion Rovers team as that type of performance has been a recurring theme.

Overall current squad is just about good enough to keep us in a mid table type position although we still have work to do to make ourselves fully safe.

By getting Dobbie we had hoped that he would give us the edge necessary to attain a play off position but our midfield's inability to retain possession and play quality balls into his feet in final third dictates that we end up hoisting aimless punts forward and his threat is negated.

Championship is a much tougher league than the one he remembers given the clubs that have fallen from grace.

Rebuilding is easy to say but very hard to achieve - we will probably need to retain some players that are coming close to end of their careers otherwise we run the risk of bringing in players that are weaker than the ones that we currently have.

On 3/4/2017 at 20:25, SUPERSOUTH said:

Shame Dykes and to a lesser extent Robinson (player Goalie Coach) were signed up for next season before Naysmith took over as don't think either are up to it. Time to give Atkinson a chance in goal.

dykes hasnt had much of a chance under naismith keeps getting played different positions too. would stick with him as his form at the start of the season before injury was promising. needs to get a position that he can stick too aswell 

dont see why people keep saying atkinson has to get a chance, he has had his chance a few times and i still dont think he is good enough

Another thing that is starting to piss me off is the "tactic" at our kick-offs when the ball is played back followed by a hoof up the park and invariably into touch, result two passes and possession given away. Our kick-off at the start of the second half on Saturday was Dobbie back to Jacobs who thumped it into touch near Falkirk's goal-line. Yes it put us up well into their half but possession was lost. I have to say it's not just Queens who are guilty, I've noticed this happening even in the EPL. I don't even know what advantage this rule change has to the game. Maybe someone with a bit more tactical nous than me can explain the advantages.

Another thing that is starting to piss me off is the "tactic" at our kick-offs when the ball is played back followed by a hoof up the park and invariably into touch, result two passes and possession given away. Our kick-off at the start of the second half on Saturday was Dobbie back to Jacobs who thumped it into touch near Falkirk's goal-line. Yes it put us up well into their half but possession was lost. I have to say it's not just Queens who are guilty, I've noticed this happening even in the EPL. I don't even know what advantage this rule change has to the game. Maybe someone with a bit more tactical nous than me can explain the advantages.

You clearly don't sit anywhere near me at Palmerston or you'd know me. Every week I find myself turning into a seething mess after kick-off. Every week I loudly shout out "They do this shite EVERY fucking week!" (No idea why I bother). Every week it gets punted up and instantly given away as we have no one capable of winning the header. It's fitba, not rugby!

It's the most utterly idiotic thing you see on a regular basis. They should be getting the ball played back and giving all the players a feel for the ball. And the rule change in itself is another utterly pointless thing. No official or fan has a clear idea of when a handball will be given, yet how the game is kicked off is apparently a far more pressing issue. The morons running this game!!

Cheers Fae_the_'briggs, I was happy 'til now!

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

You clearly don't sit anywhere near me at Palmerston or you'd know me. Every week I find myself turning into a seething mess after kick-off. Every week I loudly shout out "They do this shite EVERY fucking week!" (No idea why I bother). Every week it gets punted up and instantly given away as we have no one capable of winning the header. It's fitba, not rugby!

It's the most utterly idiotic thing you see on a regular basis. They should be getting the ball played back and giving all the players a feel for the ball. And the rule change in itself is another utterly pointless thing. No official or fan has a clear idea of when a handball will be given, yet how the game is kicked off is apparently a far more pressing issue. The morons running this game!!

Cheers Fae_the_'briggs, I was happy 'til now!

One of the problems is, like Saturday, we don't give wide players enough time to get forward before its hoofed out. The simple fact that if you keep possession the opposition has far less chance of scoring seems to be lost on a lot of players and coaches. Anyway apologies for getting you riled.

Guest Flash

Having just lost our "must win" game against Falkirk, we have exactly the same points as we did at the same stage last season - when we had just lost the "must win" game against Raith. Actually worse off this season because last year we were 7 points behind Raith with a game in hand and we are currently 8 points behind Morton having played a game more(or 11 points behind Falkirk with a game in hand, if you prefer).

Last season, the next two games were "must win" at St.Mirren and Morton, which we duly lost, ending any slim hopes we might have had. If we had won both of them, we would have been 2 points behind Raith going into the last 8 games, instead of being 8 points behind. And we still had to play Raith at home. So, although Raith went on a great run, they were still catchable at this stage. But only if we had been any good.

Guest Flash
2 minutes ago, QOSNAB said:

Do you reckon Queens will surpass last season's total of 42 points in the remaining 10 games?

Hiya Rusty.