The Queen of the South thread

Made my first visit to Palmerston Park yesterday...and fell in love!  What a cracking stadium you have!

My son and I have given ourselves the target of visiting all 42 SPFL grounds and Palmerston is our favourite so far by a long way -(https://visitthe42.wordpress.com/2017/03/04/13-palmerston-park-queen-of-the-south/)

Stewards were friendly and helpful.  Club mascot made the effort of coming up the stand to greet my son.  Really did get the vibe of a community club.

Big thumbs up from us!

13 hours ago, RUSTY1111 said:

Remarkable reappearance considering he was out for the rest of the season. Must be a quick healer.

It is coming to the end of his contract amazing how that can help a player get fit.Surely Queens will not offer him a contract been out injured for the best part of 2 years.Big changes are needed to the squad  Naysmith has a huge job.Needs at least 6 new players all over the park

If Hilson had a 2 year contract do you think he would have played again this season.? 

Yes, of course I do. And the only reason he wouldn't in that scenario would be if he wasn't fully fit and Naysmith didn't want to risk him for a meaningless end of season. It certainly wouldn't be Hilson deciding he didn't want to play. Even on the flipside if things. Are you suggesting Hilson isn't fully fit but because his contract is up he's decided he needs to earn a contract anyway; therefore massively risking injuring himself again for another few months? :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

If Hilson had a 2 year contract do you think he would have played again this season.? 

Well, yes. And to suggest otherwise is utterly moronic. Are you suggesting he doesn't want to play, isn't interested in win bonuses, etc? Nobody ever ruled Hilson out for the season and the last update on his status from the manager / physio on the website said he was back in training.

Hilson would be the only other outfield player I would offer a contract extension to. I have no confidence in any of the 3 centre halfs currently at the club.

Atkinson must surely get game time now, Robinson has made some great saves but his overall play has been very poor, distribution speed of and accuracy is terrible, he is more interested in annoying the away players than concentrating on goalkeeping.

Yesterday's attempted wall set up was really poor he set them up to cover the centre of the goals!!

17 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I'd be interested to know how much we actually make from kit sales. Surely it can't be that much?

I've bought this year's one twice, after my washing machine tore the first one apart.

Not sure of exact numbers but I know there was a significant rise in our kit sales following the fan vote over the summer. Imagine we made a few quid from that although we'd have paid the kit manufacturer and the local sports shop their cut.

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Hilson would be the only other outfield player I would offer a contract extension to. I have no confidence in any of the 3 centre halfs currently at the club.

Atkinson must surely get game time now, Robinson has made some great saves but his overall play has been very poor, distribution speed of and accuracy is terrible, he is more interested in annoying the away players than concentrating on goalkeeping.

Yesterday's attempted wall set up was really poor he set them up to cover the centre of the goals!!

Yes, it was about as effective as his wall line up at Falkirk when Hippolyte passed the ball into a virtually unguarded net. At least Kidd had to put a slight bend on his free-kick yesterday but keeper and wall were both culpable. It's pointless pulling off great  saves, which he did a couple of times yesterday, only to mess up at something quite basic. 

Hilson. for me, was the biggest miss when he got injured fairly early in the season, speed .  Fortunately we got Dobbie in but Hilson's workrate, speed  and direct play was not only effective but pleasing to watch. He's second best to Dobbie taking on opponents with the ball at his feet but he has a turn of speed that Dobbie lacks.

Yes, it was about as effective as his wall line up at Falkirk when Hippolyte passed the ball into a virtually unguarded net. At least Kidd had to put a slight bend on his free-kick yesterday but keeper and wall were both culpable. It's pointless pulling off great  saves, which he did a couple of times yesterday, only to mess up at something quite basic. 
Hilson. for me, was the biggest miss when he got injured fairly early in the season, speed .  Fortunately we got Dobbie in but Hilson's workrate, speed  and direct play was not only effective but pleasing to watch. He's second best to Dobbie taking on opponents with the ball at his feet but he has a turn of speed that Dobbie lacks.

That's spot on .3 defenders required .I said weeks ago we were leaking goals,we were utter shite yesterday and Falkirk strolled it .We need a striker who as you said above workrate,speed,direct, Hilson .I would bin 8 at the least .

That's spot on .3 defenders required .I said weeks ago we were leaking goals,we were utter shite yesterday and Falkirk strolled it .We need a striker who as you said above workrate,speed,direct, Hilson .I would bin 8 at the least .

Made my first visit to Palmerston Park yesterday...and fell in love!  What a cracking stadium you have!
My son and I have given ourselves the target of visiting all 42 SPFL grounds and Palmerston is our favourite so far by a long way -(https://visitthe42.wordpress.com/2017/03/04/13-palmerston-park-queen-of-the-south/)
Stewards were friendly and helpful.  Club mascot made the effort of coming up the stand to greet my son.  Really did get the vibe of a community club.
Big thumbs up from us!

Nice wee write up. Just a couple of things though. Under 16's are normally £5, yesterday's free entry wasn't the norm. And if you ever want to come back you'll be more than welcome as long as you call us 'The Doonhamers' and NOT "The Doonhammers" :lol: You're not the only person to have done it. I've even heard our very own local radio pronounce it "hammers" instead of "hamers".

Enjoy the rest of the stadiums.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Nice wee write up. Just a couple of things though. Under 16's are normally £5, yesterday's free entry wasn't the norm. And if you ever want to come back you'll be more than welcome as long as you call us 'The Doonhamers' and NOT "The Doonhammers" :lol: You're not the only person to have done it. I've even heard our very own local radio pronounce it "hammers" instead of "hamers".

Enjoy the rest of the stadiums.

Yes, a nice piece.  

I particularly liked the Subbuteo reference when describing our main stand.  Glad you couldn't let the 'Doonhammers' thing slide though.

For me that was our worst home display of season including Morton home where at least we kept some decent possession at times.

When I compare this squad with the 2014/15 group we are miles behind that team in terms of desire and ability to get up for big vital games. We continue to fold like a cheap suit and our total inability to pass the ball y'day reflects very badly on management and players.No exceptions that was truly awful.

As others have said a potentially big rebuild required for Gary Naysmith. Not an easy thing to achieve as it is better to retain a core nucleus but I am not sure how many you would want to retain. There is no question that a fully fit Hilson would be one of them but it is a big call given his injury track record.Perhaps a bespoke pay for play type contract but not easy to sell to the player perhaps.

Guest Flash

There are very few players I would want to keep.

Who is to blame for our squad being so poor, particularly before the 4 new players came in? Was it all Skelton's doing? 

10 minutes ago, Flash said:

There are very few players I would want to keep.

Who is to blame for our squad being so poor, particularly before the 4 new players came in? Was it all Skelton's doing? 

Nope! Already signed up for next season are - Robinson Mercer Marshall Jacobs Rankin Dykes Dobbie.

Am I missing something?

You were the form team in the league going into yesterday. You boys were buzzing after humping us and suddenly because you lost to Falkirk, you want rid of most of the squad etc.

I've still got concerns about you lot catching us. We need to win next week to put that to bed.

So we have the following under contract for next year (I've no doubt missed at least 1)

Goalkeepers

Lee Robinson

Defenders

Scott Mercer
Jordan Marshall

Midfielders

John Rankin
Kyle Jacobs

Forwards

Stephen Dobbie
Lyndon Dykes

Of the rest, I'd keep Atkinson, Brownlie, Carmichael, Lyle and Hilson. And if either of the loan players could return that would be great.

The rest can go.

Guest Flash
18 minutes ago, madton said:

Am I missing something?

You were the form team in the league going into yesterday. You boys were buzzing after humping us and suddenly because you lost to Falkirk, you want rid of most of the squad etc.

I've still got concerns about you lot catching us. We need to win next week to put that to bed.

Some of us have wanted rid of most of the squad for months. Which of our players would Morton want? Robinson? Dowie? Higgins? Brownlie? No, thought not. And that doesn't include the bench warmers and permanently injured.

Eta and the recent decent run has primarily been as a result of having 2 players on loan who won't be here next season. Without their goals and assists we would probably have at least 6 points less.

Edited by Flash