The Queen of the South thread

Any reasons why?

I personally find him to be too negative. But the biggest gripe is(was) his reluctance to play Dobbie up front. I know modern football isn't all about 4-4-2 nowadays but in Dobbie in Lyle we have two proven goalscorers but both with the same issue: they need support alongside them. Dobbie out wide left was an abysmal waste of his talent and Lyle isn't the same player up front himself. He seems to have changed it for the last couple of weeks and long may it continue. I'll be more than fuming if we go to Easter Road and set up in his old system.

He has clearly got a system he prefers but he's trying to shoehorn in players to it that aren't capable of doing what's asked. If he continues to do that at the beginning of the season I'll lose patience really quickly. He doesn't appear to chop and change frequently which is something I like. Most weeks you can have a good idea what the line-up will be. Unlike under Fowler where he used a bingo calling machine to decide his starting 11.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I personally find him to be too negative. But the biggest gripe is(was) his reluctance to play Dobbie up front. I know modern football isn't all about 4-4-2 nowadays but in Dobbie in Lyle we have two proven goalscorers but both with the same issue: they need support alongside them. Dobbie out wide left was an abysmal waste of his talent and Lyle isn't the same player up front himself. He seems to have changed it for the last couple of weeks and long may it continue. I'll be more than fuming if we go to Easter Road and set up in his old system.

He has clearly got a system he prefers but he's trying to shoehorn in players to it that aren't capable of doing what's asked. If he continues to do that at the beginning of the season I'll lose patience really quickly. He doesn't appear to chop and change frequently which is something I like. Most weeks you can have a good idea what the line-up will be. Unlike under Fowler where he used a bingo calling machine to decide his starting 11.

Im not sure thats true and East Fife fans certainly didnt think that when he was appointed.

Having brought in Rankin as captain and Thomson both were clearly going to play but the form of Jacobs meant he couldnt be dropped. I think thats what led him to playing one up front.

Jacobs has done really well at right back in the last two games maybe we'll see more of him there with the other two continuing in midfield.

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

He has clearly got a system he prefers

He does, he's said more than once in interviews and at the AGM he prefers to play 4-4-2, which is what he's doing now. There have been circumstances which prevented him doing it at other times, not least Lyle missing games at the start of January (which coincided with a good run of form in the 4-5-1 line up which meant he was never likely to change it at the time). He's played the two of them up top together more often than he hasn't I think.

I can think of at least two or three different systems used by Naysmith so I don't think that's a very fair criticism.

Also however annoying it was, I think the "Dobbie on the left" formation only happened a handful of times. Wasn't Skelton guilty of this as well?

We won't be able to give a completely fair assessment until he's been able to build his own squad. I think the signs look good though. He comes across well in interviews, generally giving an honest reflection of what has happened.

He's made mistakes along the way, but I'd like to think he's learnt from these. I'm also hoping a lot of it is down to the imbalanced and demoralised squad he inherited.

I hope that unless we are a complete disaster heading for relegation we stick with him for all of next season because the rate we go through managers isn't healthy.

By his own admission he has now decided to be more attack minded rather than have a more defensive mindset and you can see the change over the last two games. Admittedly Dundee Utd's defence was poor and Ayr were poor all over but the football on show was a lot better than we had seen for a while before that. Playing Dobbie alone up front was strange, he hasn't got electric pace, needs the ball to his feet, not chasing long balls punted forward. Naysmith's preferred tactic of goal-kicks/clearances being punted to a tall wide man I find infuriating as we more often than not lose possession too easily, thankfully there is an bit more variation now. We could also do with a bit more variety at throw-ins, some short, some long and some taken quickly. As for the players he recruited in January, loan players Thomas and Thomson are a definite plus, Rankin is, in my opinion, average and got too long a contract, and Mercer I'm afraid is playing a division too high. He's still young can be made as an excuse but he was brought in to do a job as a Championship player. My overall feeling about Naysmith is probably disappointment the he has finally got the team playing (fairly) entertaining football with a more positive approach but unfortunately he has been too late in changing his outlook to give us a better chance of maintaining a play-off challenge.  He will no doubt be here next season, we'll see how he fairs when he is responsible for pre-season and moulding a team more of his choosing.

Just looking at league table and last 4 sets of figures, mathematically we can still go up our down. Both scenarios very unlikely. But if Queens pull off a win on Saturday and Morton fail to beat Raith, Morton would suddenly be a lot closer. Not that I'm expecting either of these results.....

10 hours ago, QOSQOS said:

Just looking at league table and last 4 sets of figures, mathematically we can still go up our down. Both scenarios very unlikely. But if Queens pull off a win on Saturday and Morton fail to beat Raith, Morton would suddenly be a lot closer. Not that I'm expecting either of these results.....

Mathematically, yes, but as you say very unlikely.

There is a scenario where St Mirren and Ayr can end up on 43 points with Raith on 42. That would put us 9th - it would take a 13 goal swing to put us bottom. That, though, requires all three of them to win every game, apart from the head to heads obviously, and us to lose all four games.

I'm sure there will be a party atmosphere. Just not the sort of party I'd like to attend. I'll feel obliged to go though because I'm in love with the man.

I hope this recent love-in with Rangers isn't habit forming or we'll get a reputation I'd rather we didn't have.

12 hours ago, QOSQOS said:

The way we are playing I would not be at all surprised if we drop out of the playoffs. If we lose and you win on Saturday there will be a few squeaky bums around cappielow. 

14 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm sure there will be a party atmosphere. Just not the sort of party I'd like to attend. I'll feel obliged to go though because I'm in love with the man.

I hope this recent love-in with Rangers isn't habit forming or we'll get a reputation I'd rather we didn't have.

There's a recent love in with Rangers? It's Celtic we have two players on loan from, not Rangers.

For avoidance of doubt, the club is not involved in organising the match and didn't pick the opposition, his testimonial committee did. Del was always likely to want a Rangers side of some sort given he's never hidden his being a Rangers fan. The club role is just as hosts, and a handful of current players will likely be included within the QoS team, though it's mostly guys who have departed.

The way we are playing I would not be at all surprised if we drop out of the playoffs. If we lose and you win on Saturday there will be a few squeaky bums around cappielow. 

Our arse has collapsed in pretty much every big game we've had this season so I don't see that changing in what is effectively a title party at Easter Road.

It would in some ways be a fitting end to a very strange season if we somehow ended up in the playoffs. Incredibly harsh on Morton who have had a great season whereas ours has been very meh.

I can't see it happening.

There's a recent love in with Rangers? It's Celtic we have two players on loan from, not Rangers.
For avoidance of doubt, the club is not involved in organising the match and didn't pick the opposition, his testimonial committee did. Del was always likely to want a Rangers side of some sort given he's never hidden his being a Rangers fan. The club role is just as hosts, and a handful of current players will likely be included within the QoS team, though it's mostly guys who have departed.

Well there was Jim Thomson's testimonial against them as well, and I'm sure no-one especially wants me to bring up the vote again.

We've also played them in enough competitive fixtures to last me a lifetime. Not that the club can be blamed for that.

I'm just sick of the site of them to be honest. Or more accurately, their followers.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

Mathematically, yes, but as you say very unlikely.

There is a scenario where St Mirren and Ayr can end up on 43 points with Raith on 42. That would put us 9th - it would take a 13 goal swing to put us bottom. That, though, requires all three of them to win every game, apart from the head to heads obviously, and us to lose all four games.

Yes, there is. Four losses for us, four wins for Ayr, three wins for Raith in the non Ayr game, three wins for St Mirren in the non Raith game. Dumbarton would also need to get at least 4 other points from their other three games against Dunfermline, Dundee United and Falkirk.

That would put us on 42 points, same as Raith and Dumbarton (if they only got 4, behind them if they got more) and a point behind Ayr & St Mirren. We would need to drop a 13 goal swing to Raith to drop to 10th but it's feasible.

In practice a single point ensures we can't be 10th.

I may be wrong but I think the highest points total that 9th can be is where Ayr get marooned and lose to Raith while St Mirren and Raith either draw or Raith win, and Dumbarton pick up at least 8 points. That would leave one of St Mirren or Raith in 9th with 43 points. So we need 2 points to formally avoid relegation, though again in practice with the goal difference one point would be enough if St Mirren and Raith drew and it was Raith in 9th. St Mirren would probably catch us on GD in that extreme scenario though.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I think that this stage that's still pretty fanciful. Our vague hope was United continuing to bottle it but their fixture list always looked kind. Even if we won every game, including at Hibs on Saturday and also away to Falkirk, you need 4 points to get out of reach. If we don't get at least a point on Saturday then you need one point to get in. You'll be fine.

2 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Well there was Jim Thomson's testimonial against them as well, and I'm sure no-one especially wants me to bring up the vote again.

We've also played them in enough competitive fixtures to last me a lifetime. Not that the club can be blamed for that.

I'm just sick of the site of them to be honest. Or more accurately, their followers.

Again JT's testimonial, which was 7 years ago, was also not organised by the actual club, though that one was played by the proper team as a pre-season fixture, rather than a legends kick about. The vote was 5 years ago now. I kind of thought when you said "recent" you were meaning something measurable in months, not years.

I would hazard a guess that almost all Scottish players have a "liking" for either Celtic or rangers, especially if they come from the Central belt. I would be surprised if many Queens fans did not have an inkling of which one Del favoured. As SD points out it is not the Club who pick the opposition. At the end of the day the occasion is to honour a player for his loyalty and raise funds for him in the process. Whatever your feelings are regarding rangers or Celtic, and I can't stand either of them, they are probably the only opposition which will generate a decent crowd. I believe it is a ranger's legends team  so in that small respect they don't really have any connection with the rangers 2012 version. It would be interesting to hear which opposition the "objectors" would prefer that would be willing to fulfil this fixture and who would bring a decent support.

8 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

Pretty shambolic choice of opposition as discussed above.

Despite "the vote" being nearly 5 years ago, the ridiculous nature of Queen's choice of vote makes it still very much relevant. 

The choice of opposition was nothing to do with the Club, would you rather that the club withdrew facilities for the game because a rangers legend team is the opposition, chosen by the player and his organising committee. The match is about supporting Derek Lyle. Who would you have as opponents?