The Queen of the South thread

If the Board are actually in favour of trying for promotion next season McPherson will be out.

If he's retained I'll take that as an indication they are quite happy with a few seasons in Div 2.

With him in charge I wouldn't rule out a visit to Div 3.

Very dangerous game to play, settling for a few seasons in Div 2.

Next manager should be someone who is ambitious & hungry for a chance, also a manager who is looking to play attractive passing football.

Very dangerous game to play, settling for a few seasons in Div 2.

Next manager should be someone who is ambitious & hungry for a chance, also a manager who is looking to play attractive passing football.

Gary Bollan

Edited by Hawk

The Cup Final run, the European adventure and the the cup tie with Rangers (which all in all netted around £1milllion) was arguably the finest (and most lucrative) period in the club's history.

There were a number on here who argued for some form of legacy to be put in place from the 2008 windfall. But the overspend on a manager and team was a mistake. The mismanagement of the club since 2008 has been obvious and the lack of direction and forward thinking has been there for all to see.

The embarrasing Chairman and Board must shoulder the blame.

The appointment of McPherson was just one of a number of mistakes made by the Board.

It saddens me that a club with as much potential as Ross County, ICT and St Johnstone has failed so miserably to emulate them.

Rae, Paterson, Rutherford, Hewitson and Robertson have presided over this disaster.

I have no confidence in these indivduals to take the club forward.

Agree completely with this post. Sums up why I gave up supporting the club albeit mainly from afar.

I'm not the only one either. Then again, the current incumbents in the Boardroom have already shown they care little for fans.

Agree completely with this post. Sums up why I gave up supporting the club albeit mainly from afar.

I'm not the only one either. Then again, the current incumbents in the Boardroom have already shown they care little for fans.

Yeah, I'm one of the others. I've been disillusioned with Scottish football for a long, long time. Too many reasons to go into too much detail here: the restrictive cartel that is the SPL; the closed shop that is the SFL; the myopic self-interest that seems to govern the game up here and the perennial elevation of pragmatism over principle that ensures that the right decisions are rarely taken, and almost never for the right reasons; the ever-increasing price of watching football of an ever-diminishing quality; the patent contempt for fans displayed by most clubs (from the stop and search/zero tolerance policies shown by the police and stewards at Dens Park to the deteriorating facilities and the inedible fare presented as "catering" almost everywhere); the supine attitude of the authorities, and the submissive deference of the other clubs, towards.the Old Firm, evident in everything from the indulgence of that boorish ned Lennon to the patent unwillingness of all concerned to even consider demoting Rangers from the SPL if they start up again as a newco. The fans' loyalty is taken for granted, so much so that those within the game barely bother to varnish their contempt for the people who pay their wages with even a thin veneer of respect. Scottish clubs seem to think that the way forward in a recessionary economy is to treat the fans with even more contempt and charge even more for the "privilege" of wearing their shoddy merchandise and watching their terrible football. The standard of football on display in the first division has been deteriorating for years, now it's at a level that wouldn't look out of place on a public park, assuming the public park "footballers" were completely bereft of anything resembling talent.

I took one look at the squad Queens assembled at the start of the season and immediately wrote off the entire campaign. It was a squad that would hardly have illuminated the second division. Lack of creativity, pace and goal threat were evident and the prospect of a season-long rearguard action against inevitable relegation, led by a manager hardly renowned for his free-flowing, attacking football, was just too dismal to contemplate. It didn't take the addition of a Rangers-supporting director to the boardroom to recognise a "bear market" when I saw one. After investing thousands of pounds in entrance fees, sponsorship draw entries, season tickets, catering, programmes, shares etc over best part of 40 years the time had come to cut my losses. If ever there was a time to "sell" Queens it was at the start of this term. So for the first time since the mid '70s I haven't attended a single game in any competition this season. Throughout years of profound disillusionment with Scottish football, Queens were a consolation, an irrational indulgence. Following Queens was a guilty pleasure that seemed just far enough away from the toxic influence of the Old Firm to be insulated from the most pernicious aspects of the game north of the border. There comes a time, however, when you have to question if there aren't better ways to spend your time and money than watching imposters masquerading as footballers dismally failing to entertain yet again. I no longer think Queens exist in some sort of idyllic bubble - the faults of the Scottish game are too far-reaching. The enthusiasm I once had for Scottish football had long gone and my enthusiasm for Queens was always destined to follow suit, eventually. I cut my ties with the game at the start of the season. So far I haven't missed it.

Edited by Frankie S

Guest TOPFITTER

Err, why the rolly eyes? :unsure:

Maybe the poster like me heard on the 6pm Radio Scotland News the presenter suggesting that Media Pro Sports are thought to be about to make another offer to Queens major shareholder.

Then again I was maybe hallucinating or having a psychotic episode due to just driving home from a 12 hour early shift, but I am almost certain that is what the Radio Scotland announcer was claiming.

Relegation one day, Vultures the next ?????

Maybe the poster like me heard on the 6pm Radio Scotland News the presenter suggesting that Media Pro Sports are thought to be about to make another offer to Queens major shareholder.

Then again I was maybe hallucinating or having a psychotic episode due to just driving home from a 12 hour early shift, but I am almost certain that is what the Radio Scotland announcer was claiming.

Relegation one day, Vultures the next ?????

Still doesnt explain the rolling eyes. Rae would be mad to accept any offer from that lot. Investing money in the club is the last thing on their minds

Guest TOPFITTER

According to Robertson when this lot were interested first time round, full diligence would be undertaken in respect of any potential investors. So even if Rae wanted to sell, if the diligence provides enough negative feedback, they won't be allowed to invest anyway.

Or, was Robertson talking bollox and if Rae wants to sell, he can do?

Can fail to see how they can stop him selling his shares, unless they can match the offered price and have a clause that means the Club Directors have first refusal. Perhaps his due dilligence is with regard to being a fit and proper person to be a Director of an SFL/SFA registered Club, and whether the existing directors would invite the new owners onto the board, should this hypothetical situation actually arise.

For the avoidance of doubt, there is a clause in the Articles which gives the Board of Directors the power to block any share transfer. It hasn't been used since Willie Harkness was chairman but in the Harkness days share transfers were regularly blocked. My first share purchase many years ago was delayed for a considerable length of time due to his refusal to register it.

The Articles of Association are available at Companies House of course so anyone can see what it actually says for £1 if they want.

When a football decides to restructure its staff one might reasonably expect that this process would be conducted in a dignified manner, so when a conscientious and diligent Kit Man is deposed having been demeaned and intimidated by a member of the "operational board", my concerns are profound especially since no compromise to rectify the situation was sought. The farrago in attendance last Monday,operational board members, non operational board members should hang their heads in shame because their action , or indeed their lack of action besmirches the reputation of Queen of the South FC.

When a football decides to restructure its staff one might reasonably expect that this process would be conducted in a dignified manner, so when a conscientious and diligent Kit Man is deposed having been demeaned and intimidated by a member of the "operational board", my concerns are profound especially since no compromise to rectify the situation was sought. The farrago in attendance last Monday,operational board members, non operational board members should hang their heads in shame because their action , or indeed their lack of action besmirches the reputation of Queen of the South FC.

So what, exactly, happened then? No-one else seems to know. (and it might be an idea to back up your "demeaned and intimitidated" quote, as thats quite an accusation)