The Queen of the South thread

Good point at Hamilton but missed out on the bonus point again.

2nil up on the pens and we still lose.

John Rankin as club captain just has to score that 5th pen.

If we beat Albion next Sat have we a chance of making the next round 

4 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

NO

7 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Looking at the other groups, we have next to no chance of qualifying.

Tuesday's embarrassment saw to that I'm afraid.

Positives from today's game Martin showed great saves today, and can set up walls for freekicks! Thot Mercer was pretty solid at RB, Fordyce starting to look like good signing, Kyle his usual dogged self in midfield and Dobbs up top his usual, negatives Rankin, Dykes Stirling didn't do much in the game We must sign another forward, + midfielder + winger.

Guest Flash
9 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Only if Albion Rovers or Stenny beat Hamilton which would mean us winning the group if we win next week. Or, I suppose, if Accies draw both of those games, even if they get the extra point both times, we would finish above them on goal difference with a win.

Only the best 4 runners up go through so 8 points won't be enough unless there are some weird results elsewhere. If we had been able to score more than 5 penalties out of 10, we could have been sitting on 7 points just now, with the possibility of 10 for winning next week, which would probably have been enough.

10 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Looking at the other groups, we have next to no chance of qualifying.

Tuesday's embarrassment saw to that I'm afraid.

I'm not even sure we have that looking at the current 2nd places. We can get 8 points max  and some 3rd place teams might get that! There is a set of results that could end with 3 teams on 8 points and we could win on goal difference, but we'd need to hammer the team that just hammered the team that beat us on penalties last week.....I guess the positive from today is a draw agasint what should count as a decent team as distinct from a non-league team and at least the players who missed penalties today were different to the last game so noone will have had their confidence totally shot. You do have to try quite hard to get beat from 2-0 up at penalties though. 

7 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

I'm not even sure we have that looking at the current 2nd places. We can get 8 points max  and some 3rd place teams might get that! There is a set of results that could end with 3 teams on 8 points and we could win on goal difference, but we'd need to hammer the team that just hammered the team that beat us on penalties last week.....I guess the positive from today is a draw agasint what should count as a decent team as distinct from a non-league team and at least the players who missed penalties today were different to the last game so noone will have had their confidence totally shot. You do have to try quite hard to get beat from 2-0 up at penalties though. 

Not when you put Dykes then rankin up next. No chance of qualifying out of thus group now really bad! Tues game cost us 2 points and again pens today another point.

Yeah - I'm trying to be disappointed for Dykes - good chance for him to redeem himself for the supporters, but I just keep being disappointed in him. I should add I didnt make the game today so if he played a blinder someone please let me know!

Edited by steakpiegravy
clarification

4 minutes ago, Qos91 said:

Heard a good few boos from the queens fans when Dykes' name was announced before the game. Any need for that?

Disgrace! No need at all!  I love Queen but I can't stand the majority of the club's fans. 

For the pens Dykes was always going to miss no surprise to anyone but for Rankin our club captain to miss is just not good enough..Always remember Higgins taking a pen in the Cup final as captain  he was never going to miss would just not let his players  or fans down

38 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

We are going to miss out on £35,000  for the next round . Our squad should have been complete long before the Cup started rather than hope we would be good enough to get to the next round.

No, we're not. It was discussed before, possibly in the cup thread - theres prize money for other placings too. If we finished second but dont get through we get £25k. Its still a lot of money but nowhere near £35k

The performance today wasnt too bad, certainly defended well, although we maybe should have put more pressure on Accies in possession, but again, didnt have enough going forward. We did, though, have the best chances of the match up until about the hour mark.

Brownlie and Fordyce are starting to look a decent partnership, Martin is solid in goals and Jacobs put himself about as he does. The rest were pretty disappointing, though. Again, neither wide player got into the game, neither did Rankin and Dykes doesnt look like hes getting any better. Wasnt really any surprise that both missed penalties

Listened to radio Scotland where they said the defence was good, but we were rellying on Dobbie,I also had the feeling when Dykes name was called, would be a miss, we need a striker who can score goals, I mean how long can Dobbie go on carrying the forward line.
You would have to wrap him in cotton wool, as if he gets injured that's it, why was the tan man not paired up with Dobbie, was he injured?