The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

You can't, but a very well practised skill is much more likely to withstand the pressure, to repeat in the face of it and to provide essential confidence.

Is your argument that we don't practice taking penalties enough? I'm hoping that we do and no amount of practice is going to guarantee that on the day we never miss a penalty hence the lottery reference.

6 minutes ago, kirkyblue2 said:

Is your argument that we don't practice taking penalties enough? I'm hoping that we do and no amount of practice is going to guarantee that on the day we never miss a penalty hence the lottery reference.

My argument is that it's not a lottery as it can be prepared for.  Penalty shoot outs are hardly rare in Cup football and I'd say they're worth working on.

I've no idea whether or not we've been doing so, but I do know that describing two as lotteries, having lost them both with plenty misses, is just to let people off the hook.  It doesn't point towards a sophisticated, reflective outlook.

50 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

My argument is that it's not a lottery as it can be prepared for.  Penalty shoot outs are hardly rare in Cup football and I'd say they're worth working on.

I've no idea whether or not we've been doing so, but I do know that describing two as lotteries, having lost them both with plenty misses, is just to let people off the hook.  It doesn't point towards a sophisticated, reflective outlook.

I'm really not sure what you are getting at with this at all.  What would your preferred response have been?  Public castigation of the players that missed their penalties?

34 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

I'm really not sure what you are getting at with this at all.  What would your preferred response have been?  Public castigation of the players that missed their penalties?

Of course I wouldn't have preferred that.

The 'lottery' thing is mindless shit though and I don't want people hiding behind it.

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, kirkyblue2 said:

How can you recreate the pressure then?

You can recreate it to a degree by each player taking a certain number and if you miss one, you have to start over plus some other forfeit. For example, if Lyle misses one in training, he's not allowed to brush his teeth for a week. No coincidence that he scored his.

You can recreate it to a degree by each player taking a certain number and if you miss one, you have to start over plus some other forfeit. For example, if Lyle misses one in training, he's not allowed to brush his teeth for a week. No coincidence that he scored his.

Interesting concept you've got there Flash.

Just for fun we should have a forfeit suggestion for all players.......let's start with Dykes - suggestions anyone?

33 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Do people genuinely think professional football teams don't practise in preparation for penalties?

It wouldn't surprise me at all.  We've heard much more highly regarded managers than the ones at this level, admit to not practising before.

21 hours ago, Mr X said:

I said exactly the same thing as Rankin was walking up to take his penaltyYou

You would have thought someone with the experience Rankin has would just have hit it hard down the middle ..Very poor that the club captain missed the winning pen but  time to move on now.

How many loan signing can we make is it just one over 21  

1 hour ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Interesting concept you've got there Flash.

Just for fun we should have a forfeit suggestion for all players.......let's start with Dykes - suggestions anyone?

No fun for a week.;)

Guest Flash

Think we can only get through if we win and Accies don't win in 90 mins. Haven't looked at all the fixtures and what would need to happen for us to go through if we finish second, but it looks extremely unlikely. Can't see Accies having as poor a result as tonight in a home game.

Well there is league 2 Peterhead just beat Hearts. Looks like they are getting relegated this year. [emoji57]

Hamilton got beat by Albion Rovers on pens, so they are obviously getting relegated this year......

Albion must practice their penalties a bit more that Hamilton in training. Cause it ain't a lottery.

Do we not get prize money for finishing 2 nd  ? If  so could really do with a win on Saturday.

No chance of going through as     2nd now.

Hamilton will beat Stenhousemuir at home to win the group so we will be out the Cup.

Any team who can't beat E.K. at home does not deserve to go through

17 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Do we not get prize money for finishing 2 nd  ? If  so could really do with a win on Saturday.

No chance of going through as     2nd now.

Hamilton will beat Stenhousemuir at home to win the group so we will be out the Cup.

Any team who can't beat E.K. at home does not deserve to go through

What sections / teams as runners up are going through?