The Queen of the South thread

Of all of Jesus's miracles, not even walking on water comes close to Dobbie carrying this current bunch of jabronis to safe nourishing mediocrity. 

The League Cup groups aren't necessarily a guarantee of things to come, Alex Rae's St Mirren got 9 points, Raith Rovers did well, Falkirk got beat  by Stirling Albion and Dumbarton were abject. It's pretty clear what needs sorted and surely Naysmith is able to see that with the main issue being that we aren't able to play on the front foot with such a slow attack and technically limited midfield, this isn't a new issue so whether he does anything about it remains to be seen.

When's the commemorative 'League Cup Group G unbeaten season' scarf coming  out. 

Sadly we have a real problem on our hands. Do we stick or twist with our Manager?

I am not an advocate of wholesale Managerial changes every time we have a bad run of results. Let's be honest when you support a team like Queens you quickly get used to disappointment.

That said the big blunder was giving him a long term deal on the back of little tangible achievement. Others may see it differently but our continued inability to win games (especially at home where our record is a major concern) is now plumbing new depths.The League Cup campaign is just a continuation of what we witnessed in Q4 of last season.Lets not kid ourselves it has been truly awful.

I don't necessarily think that our squad is a lost cause but the players under GN just look incapable of getting the job done with any modicum of style or consistency.

I don't doubt that we need some additional new faces but if we could even start to identify a pattern of decent play then we could see progress BUT disappointing results allied to very poor entertainment is not a sustainable model I'm afraid.

I'm aware we are a small club in this division compared to the majority but if we are too small a club to be expecting 6 points at home to LOWLAND LEAGUE East Kilbride and League 1 Albion Rovers then we may as well fold now.

I'm aware no team has the right to show up and expect a comfortable win but lets face it, every side in this division and arguably the division below should be able to beat a Lowland League side comfortably. There is a tiny part of me that can understand it was difficult against EK as they effectively sat everyone behind the ball all game. What is the excuse today though? Albion came here to win and for large parts of the game they bossed it. I'm maybe asking too much but that should absolutely be the other way around when we're at home to a side a division below. I'd love to say Albion were good but we were poor but that absolutely wasn't the case. I've seen nothing from us to suggest we're going to be much better than we were today.

A goal that we could only expect from Dobbie and a goal via a corner isn't exactly inspiring stuff in those two games. We barely made either 'keeper work as well which is even more disheartening.

I don't think the opening day fixture has ever been as important as next weekend. Given it's going to be a tough game every week I don't think it's arrogant to suggest our home games against Brechin are going to be our best chance at 3 points. I'll be extremely fearful if we don't have 3 on the board this time next weekend.

Things are really going down hill for us. Can't see it getting any better any time soon either. Everything from the state of our ground to the players, manager and board is absolutely awful. Its like we go into games to try get a draw! Also, i thought we were in the "green zone" with finances? Where's the money going? Why is it we can only bring in utter dross? Massive downhill spiral, league 1 for us in the next 2 years. 

Things are really going down hill for us. Can't see it getting any better any time soon either. Everything from the state of our ground to the players, manager and board is absolutely awful. Its like we go into games to try get a draw! Also, i thought we were in the "green zone" with finances? Where's the money going? Why is it we can only bring in utter dross? Massive downhill spiral, league 1 for us in the next 2 years. 

Apart from the age of our old stand how else is our ground a "state"? We have a great ground.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Apart from the age of our old stand how else is our ground a "state"? We have a great ground.

Don't get me wrong, I love Palmerston. But you just have to take a look around to see it. Litter thats been there for weeks, seagull shit, graffiti, a lick of paint wouldn't go a miss and the toilets are chatty. Maybe I'm being picky but it wouldn't be hard to keep it fresh and tidy. 

Guest Flash
2 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Palmerston. But you just have to take a look around to see it. Litter thats been there for weeks, seagull shit, graffiti, a lick of paint wouldn't go a miss and the toilets are chatty. Maybe I'm being picky but it wouldn't be hard to keep it fresh and tidy. 

Nothing worse that a bog that can't keep its trap shut.

Maybe the place is going to the dogs because they can't get any mugs, I mean fans, to volunteer to clean it up and paint it for free anymore. 

48 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm aware no team has the right to show up and expect a comfortable win but lets face it, every side in this division and arguably the division below should be able to beat a Lowland League side comfortably. There is a tiny part of me that can understand it was difficult against EK as they effectively sat everyone behind the ball all game. What is the excuse today though? Albion came here to win and for large parts of the game they bossed it. I'm maybe asking too much but that should absolutely be the other way around when we're at home to a side a division below. I'd love to say Albion were good but we were poor but that absolutely wasn't the case. I've seen nothing from us to suggest we're going to be much better than we were today.

The performance against EK was annoying, because we couldn't do anything with our expected dominance.

Today was more alarming though.  I know these BBC stats are not infallible, but according to them today, we had only 46% possession.  In a home game against a lower league side, that's got to be a concern.

I agree that although rotten today, it was maybe a decent reflection of where we actually are.  A couple of new players can make a big difference though as we saw in January, and I'm still hopeful that our personnel can improve significantly.  

Right now though it's not great and there must be doubt about Naysmith's capacity to recruit well.

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Maybe the place is going to the dogs because they can't get any mugs, I mean fans, to volunteer to clean it up and paint it for free anymore. 

That's a point actually.

Am I right in thinking that the fan clean up hasn't happened these last few summers.  What's the story there?  Has the request stopped going out?

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

Nothing worse that a bog that can't keep its trap shut.

I stay next to Palmerston and if I had the time I'd happily be one of those mugs to volunteer. Nothing's been done in a while and I can only see it getting worse. I walk past the "hash plant" painted at the ice bowl side alot and it annoys the shit out of me! 

Naysmith is under huge pressure next Saturday and August will go a long way to deciding whether or not he has a long-term future with us. Our League Cup results have been desperately disappointing. To not beat a part-time Lowland League side and then a new-look part-time League One side at home is simply not good enough.

We have two home games we have to win against Brechin City and Dumbarton but I will cut him slack for the away games at Dundee United and Falkirk although there have to be encouraging signs in terms of performance.

There's no way I would give him until Christmas. He has until the end of the first quarter to get things sorted.

Guest Flash
1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's a point actually.

Am I right in thinking that the fan clean up hasn't happened these last few summers.  What's the story there?  Has the request stopped going out?

Not sure. Think it happened last season but on a small scale. Seem to remember a photie on the OS that had about 4 people in it. To be fair, it wasn't for free. Think they got a pie and a bottle of ginger.