The Queen of the South thread

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Any parallels are pretty tenuous

They were both appointed around the same time.

They have both never really been accepted by the majority of fans at either Club.

They have both had poor League records.

They have both failed to qualify from, what most would describe as, favourable League Cup groups.

They have demonstrated little to give fans hope for the immediate future.

When interviewed they don't indicate positivity or inspiration to players or fans.

They are both out of their depth.

4 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

He doesn't have the managerial ability to turn things around. 

Turn what around exactly?! The league hasn't started yet. He was originally brought in last season to arrest our horrendous form and he did manage to turn that around.

4 hours ago, kleinfaethetoon said:

I see the Hearts board had the bottle to change things now, when they realised they made the wrong appointment. Has our board got the bottle to make a decision......

Ridiculous comparison! And even if you do compare the two situations Hearts had a relatively much worse league cup campaign than us and supposedly should be genuine contenders for a top 2/3 finish in the SPL. I'm not excited about the coming season right now so it feels a little weird to be 'defending' him but what damage would we do to our own reputation if we sacked a manager who hasn't done that badly since he came in before the transfer window closes and the season has not even started! I think you could only justifiably sack Naysmith if he had perhaps lost 3 or 4 of the league cup games and even then it would be a bit on the harsh side to not at least give him a chance to "turn things around!"

43 minutes ago, Flash said:

Maybe we'd be better off going part-time and have the biggest part-time budget rather than the smallest full-time one? No part-time team is going to be promoted, but is the one with the lowest full-time wages going to get promoted anyway? Maybe if we were able to sign the best part-time players in the country, we could have a bigger squad that is able to compete just as well as a small squad of low paid full-timers. I guess the question is - are the best part-timers in the country better than the worst full-timers? Take Dobbie out of our team and I'm not that sure whether there is that much of a difference, at the moment anyway.

One big benefit to remaining full time is that we can promote our promising youngsters into the full time coaching environment as soon as they are good enough. We can also potentially hold on to them a bit longer than if they were part time. We should remain full time as long as it can be afforded, even if we are one of the worst. The long term goal of the club should be to promote youth and off the pitch financial earnings. Perhaps somewhere along the lines of the Hamilton model.

Naysmith to replace Cathro?

I see he at least warranted a mention in the early betting for Hearts job not that this means anything.

To be fair he probably meets the criteria that Levein has looked at in the past :-

- young inexperienced Manager grateful for such a big opportunity
- Hearts or DUFC connection
- not likely to speak back to Craig and willing to let Craig pick the team and decide on all transfer targets
- willing to take blame as and when the boo boys re- surface

Now that Gary has a 4 game unbeaten run in the League Cup on his CV including a home draw against EK you just never know.

Naturally we would need to be fully compensated!!!

19 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I see he at least warranted a mention in the early betting for Hearts job not that this means anything.

To be fair he probably meets the criteria that Levein has looked at in the past :-

- young inexperienced Manager grateful for such a big opportunity
- Hearts or DUFC connection
- not likely to speak back to Craig and willing to let Craig pick the team and decide on all transfer targets
- willing to take blame as and when the boo boys re- surface

Now that Gary has a 4 game unbeaten run in the League Cup on his CV including a home draw against EK you just never know.

Naturally we would need to be fully compensated!!!

Would this be a bigger step up than second-bottom East Fife to Palmerston, though?

4 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

They were both appointed around the same time.

They have both never really been accepted by the majority of fans at either Club.

They have both had poor League records.

They have both failed to qualify from, what most would describe as, favourable League Cup groups.

They have demonstrated little to give fans hope for the immediate future.

When interviewed they don't indicate positivity or inspiration to players or fans.

They are both out of their depth.

As I said pretty tenuous then other than that both have struggled, the point I'd already conceded in the original post.

We have 5 games at home before mid October where we have to take the majority of the points. Our 4 away games in the first quarter are against the teams most think will be challenging at the top so even taking a point there will be a bonus - Dundee Utd, Falkirk, St Mirren and Inverness.

The second quarter is a reserve of the first with the above 4 teams at home - can we be confident of picking up any points at home in the second quarter? Don't think so. Can we pick up anything away from home - perhaps but these teams will see Queens as direct rival and know 3pts would be vital in their battles to avoid the bottom.

Guest Flash
4 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

I assume Lee Robinson was on photo duty with the space between Tapping and Lyle being a fucking chasm.

Somewhere in Cretinland an alarm has just sounded.