The Queen of the South thread

Goalkeeper/Coach missing from squad photo? Squad is very short in quality and numbers! All our rivals are signing players, come on manager + board give the fans something player wise to lift our spirits before the opening league game on Saturday.

2 hours ago, JessieField said:

I notice Naysmith's last interview (after the Albion Rovers match) has been removed from the official Queen's website....... Something afoot?

Its probably because someone was smoking in the background :lol:

Maybe we'd be better off going part-time and have the biggest part-time budget rather than the smallest full-time one? No part-time team is going to be promoted, but is the one with the lowest full-time wages going to get promoted anyway? Maybe if we were able to sign the best part-time players in the country, we could have a bigger squad that is able to compete just as well as a small squad of low paid full-timers. I guess the question is - are the best part-timers in the country better than the worst full-timers? Take Dobbie out of our team and I'm not that sure whether there is that much of a difference, at the moment anyway.

Going part-time would be the biggest step back our club could take. It would be the beginning of the end. We'd drop out of the Championship eventually and be stuck in League One with the occasional promotion followed by relegation.
I'm not sure we would save that much money. In order to attract quality part-timers, we would need to pay a premium given our location for home games and training twice a week would almost certainly be in the central belt.
Being full-time is hard and is costly but is doable on our crowds together with strong performance in terms of sponsorship and commercial activities.
Working with players full-time means you get at least five sessions a week (Monday, double Tuesday, Thursday and Friday) which allows plenty of time for fitness work, ball work, shape, set-pieces, analysis. Of course, it's up to the coaching staff to get the best out of the squad.

20 hours ago, Nithsdale Wanderer said:

Seems not.

I was hoping there might have been a Board meeting last night - emergency or scheduled - from which there would have been a bold decision made.

This nonsense about seeing who else he brings in and having the 1st quarter is just that.

Does anyone really think, given his recruitment record so far, that he is suddenly going to produce some real game-changers ?

Anyway, it's not about that.

He doesn't have the managerial ability to turn things around. 

We have some decent players but he is incapable of getting the best out of them. There is no positivity either in the way he plays or the way he speaks.  Bringing some other players in would not change that.

He is smart though and is trying - and succeeding with some - to 'pull the wool over' by referring to budgets and restraints in order to take the heat off himself and deflect it to the Board.  We all know we can't compete with many of the Clubs in the Division. That has always been the case and surely he would have known that when he took the job. 

As you know, I would change it right now but certainly if the 1st 2 home games are not won convincingly then surely the majority - and the Board - would have to say enough is enough.

Law of averages say we are going to win a game,

There's been no progress whatsoever made since he came in.

As previously stated he talks a great game but for me he doesn't look to have the support of the players,time will tell.

Be interesting to see his record since he came in.

What concerns me is that it seems like the players are depending on Dobbie as much as the manager,hopefully he doesn't get injured as we will be in  freefall.

Guest Flash
47 minutes ago, Besty said:

Law of averages say we are going to win a game,

There's been no progress whatsoever made since he came in.

As previously stated he talks a great game but for me he doesn't look to have the support of the players,time will tell.

Be interesting to see his record since he came in.

What concerns me is that it seems like the players are depending on Dobbie as much as the manager,hopefully he doesn't get injured as we will be in  freefall.

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

http://7b6881cb7bceec3e4a76072bdc3e9733.gif

3 minutes ago, Flash said:

That's very bold of you,whoosh.

You've got tooo much time on your hands boy

It's only until Robinson finds another club, until then it's we,ha

Then I can we somewhere else,whoosh

Edited by Besty

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Do you play Brechin or Dumbarton early on? I'm a cynical type and would expect one of these teams to slighly go out and try get Dobbie out injured.

We start against Brechin.

But we played Dumbarton with him 4 times last season and I don't particularly see why anyone would try to injure Dobbie any more than any other team. He could hurt any side. Jason Marr took him out at the knee for Alloa last season in what looked a horrible challenge and caused him to go for a knee scan and miss a game at Easter Road but he was back the following week and never missed a game after that. It did Alloa no good as we beat them 2-0 in the game with two goals from Stephen Dobbie.

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

But we played Dumbarton with him 4 times last season and I don't particularly see why anyone would try to injure Dobbie any more than any other team. He could hurt any side. Jason Marr took him out at the knee for Alloa last season in what looked a horrible challenge and caused him to go for a knee scan and miss a game at Easter Road but he was back the following week and never missed a game after that. It did Alloa no good as we beat them 2-0 in the game with two goals from Stephen Dobbie.

I wouldn't imagine for a moment that it would happen, but I guess he's suggesting that clubs seen as relegation candidates, would have most to gain by depriving us of Dobbie.  There's a certain logic there, in that without him, we'd be regarded by many of us as joining them.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I wouldn't imagine for a moment that it would happen, but I guess he's suggesting that clubs seen as relegation candidates, would have most to gain by depriving us of Dobbie.  There's a certain logic there, in that without him, we'd be regarded by many of us as joining them.

Dobbie for next manager, 

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

That'll be a few of your players out injured then. If the thought of Darren Dods being manager isn't convincing enough you just need a look at a few of last season's match threads to see how, erm, physical they are :lol:

Dumbarton are now after Joe Thomson.

Surely  that is one of the signing Naysmith is waiting on to get back on loan .

I really can't see Celtic wanting to keep Thomson he is nowhere near the 1st team but maybe he enjoyed it more at Dumbarton so wants to go back 

7 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Gary Naysmith is going to be our manager for this sesaon.

2 reasons.

We can't afford to pay off his 2 year contract .

Who would take the job if it became available  ?. 

Dobbie next in line I assure you

40 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Dumbarton are now after Joe Thomson.

Surely  that is one of the signing Naysmith is waiting on to get back on loan .

I really can't see Celtic wanting to keep Thomson he is nowhere near the 1st team but maybe he enjoyed it more at Dumbarton so wants to go back 

Said in a podcast that centre midlifed is not his priority and he has turned down players from the position(Possibly Thomson)