The Queen of the South thread

1337347558[/url]' post='6249901']

Which is why I said I didnt, necessarily, think he shouldnt be given a chance.

However, unless he's going to play for nothing, it is a risk and not a "nothing to lose" signing

Since when have Queens been concerned when it comes to players wages? Majority of the squad were getting paid under false pretences last season.

They could always put out a few more money boxes throughout D&G to help pay wages.

As I said, I was hoping to retain the better young players and have a clearout of the rest.

I thought you'd say something like that :lol:

Since when have Queens been concerned when it comes to players wages? Majority of the squad were getting paid under false pretences last season.

They could always put out a few more money boxes throughout D&G to help pay wages.

:huh:

Hi guys, did Ryan Smilie featured much for you guys last season? Only there's a rumour going round that Falkirk are trying to sign him and I'm just wondering if he's any good.

Hi guys, did Ryan Smilie featured much for you guys last season? Only there's a rumour going round that Falkirk are trying to sign him and I'm just wondering if he's any good.

Made 7 or 8 sub appearances but never made an impact. Wasn't one of our best youngsters to be honest.

I don't fancy your chances of coming straight back up with that squad.

Nor dae I, there huznae been yin player signing that has excited me yit. Maistly failyers frae last season. It looks licht anither relegation fecht aheed this season when it sterts. :(

Nicky Clark has signed for another year.

I'm not very pleased about this at all. Although it's no surprise I'm very disappointed by this news.

Clark had more than his fair share of opportunities last season, to the detriment of some of the other youngsters. He played in a number of positions yet in my opinion showed very little to suggest he should have been allowed to get a contract extention. It was evident why Peterhead had let him go based on what he offered so if he couldn't make the grade in the 3rddivision what makes anyone think he'll be able to cut it in the 2nd? The second division will be too physical for him and I agree with most on here that this is a waste of a wage.

Edited by Hawk

I don't fancy your chances of coming straight back up with that squad.

I reckon they could be the surprise package of the season, plus the kids will play for sweets so we're saving a lot on wages there!

This is a point I'm worried about. There seems to be a perception that because we're in the Second it is ok to sign players who will probably be ok at Second division level. However, IMO, if you want to get out of it, you should be signing players who are comfortably First division standard. If you sign Second division level players, that is where you will stay.

The idea of resigning players who have proven themselves not to be good enough for the First seems daft to me.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's pretty flawed logic to suggest that some of the wasters from last season will suddenly turn good because we've gone down a league. Didn't a lot of us bemoan the performances with the comment "this team would struggle in the second division". Even if the poorer opponents we'll be facing were to suddenly bring out the inner-Messi in the likes of McLaughlan, Simmons, Clark and Brighton, their attitude was lacking as much as their footballing ability. For that alone I don't think they deserve a second chance at my club.

Relegation isn't an achievement that should be rewarded IMO.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's pretty flawed logic to suggest that some of the wasters from last season will suddenly turn good because we've gone down a league. Didn't a lot of us bemoan the performances with the comment "this team would struggle in the second division". Even if the poorer opponents we'll be facing were to suddenly bring out the inner-Messi in the likes of McLaughlan, Simmons, Clark and Brighton, their attitude was lacking as much as their footballing ability. For that alone I don't think they deserve a second chance at my club.

Unfair in my view to criticise Clark's attitude. It remains to be seen if he does a job for us at SFL2. Presumably our new manager sees something in him that makes it worth giving him a new deal.

Unfair in my view to criticise Clark's attitude. It remains to be seen if he does a job for us at SFL2. Presumably our new manager sees something in him that makes it worth giving him a new deal.

I would not have offered a new contract to Clark, but time is on his side. Unlike the others mentioned by palmy_cammy, he cannot yet be described as a journeyman pro. I'd be devastated, even angry, if we offered contracts to Brighton, Simmons and McLaughlin (although he's not as bad as the other two).

I would not have offered a new contract to Clark, but time is on his side. Unlike the others mentioned by palmy_cammy, he cannot yet be described as a journeyman pro. I'd be devastated, even angry, if we offered contracts to Brighton, Simmons and McLaughlin (although he's not as bad as the other two).

McLaughlin answered me on Twitter, claiming he wasn't sure what he was doing yet? don't know if this means he's got a few deals to look at or even one with Queens

Hope not

McLaughlin answered me on Twitter, claiming he wasn't sure what he was doing yet? don't know if this means he's got a few deals to look at or even one with Queens

Hope not

I'm not saying for a moment we should offer him a deal but I wouldn't be astonished to find McLaughlin still with us next season.

Brighton should retire and I'd imagine Simmons will find his rightful place in the SPL. :o

Edited by Distant Doonhamer