The Queen of the South thread

Dykes is an infinitely harder worker than Stirling.

Naysmith clearly rated him to have signed him, it just hasn’t worked out as he, or we had hoped. I’d imagine Sonsteamof08’s explanation is about the size of it.

As I said before though, 9 clubs in 9 years would suggest Stirling is the issue and not Naysmith.

:blink:
Tall bloke. Tattoos. Speaks with an Australian accent. Just in case you are confusing him with someone else?
Just about the least thing you could criticise about Lyndon is his work rate.

I`ve never had any issue re Dykes` work rate.
I`m clearly in a minority in that I still think he has something to offer but  either way he`s a grafter.

My biggest issue with Dykes is his workrate. He's not lazy per se but the only times I've found myself annoyed with him are when he backs out of tackles or fails to go up for headers. I actually can't recall criticising the guy on his actual ability. I don't think it's fair to expect miracles from him at his age but effort should be a given and that's the one thing I get annoyed about. When he shows that effort I'm normally content with his game. I commented on his performance against Dumbarton straight away the other week.

On a similar note, I don't think he'll ever convince everyone. I was in the main stand against Dumbarton at HT made my way to the terrace. En route I heard Dykes getting pelters from a few folk. I thought he was probably our best player in that half so he's no chance if he still gets criticism after a good display [emoji38]

Unfortunately you have. I said I'd rather have a player like that than McFadden, not every player in general so your "tongue-in-check" comment is invalid and pointless.
For me McFadden playing CM and that's CM as in not behind the striker (just to make that clear, again) is laughable.
You don't agree, big deal.

So you would rather have two grafters in the middle rather than one grafter and one creative player? Even though it's blatantly obvious we're screaming out for some creativity in there?

Out of interest, why is the suggestion so laughable?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Did Stephen Dobbie not play for eight different teams in eight years at the start of his career?

He went from Rangers to Hibs, was loaned out a few times, joined us and was loaned a few times, then moved down south and was loaned a few times.

Northern Spirit, St Johnstone and Dumbarton (all loan deals).

Four loan deals at Blackpool, also Crystal Palace and Fleetwood also on loan.

1 hour ago, temps15 said:

Derek Lyle has been told he is free to find another club!
reported in the Sun this morning
quite shocked by this.

Bizarre in the way he has two testimonial dinners approaching and he's also 3 goals short of reaching Bobby Black's 120 goals tally. He was injured on Saturday but has usually been the first sub on in recent games.

Dykes hardworking? Not sure about that tbh.

Given the Dumbarton fans said early on it took him a while to come onto a game I don't know why he's not been given a run of games. I don't think Stirling is some kind of superstar, however I don't see what Murray and Dykes have brought to the wide areas that has allowed them more game time than Stirling. We saw last season Stirling was capable or tormenting defences (us) so we know there is potential there. Have we seen anything from Murray to suggest he'll give the opposition fullback a torrid time? I've certainly seen no evidence. At this stage I'd sooner he persevered with Stirling ahead of Murray. Murray has time on his side.

I've not managed as many games this season but in those I've been at we've desperately lacked width, particularly on the left. And some games outright had no LM. Why Naysmith signed a player he clearly doesn't rate on a 2 year deal beggars belief.

I think you are spot on here and are reflecting what a very significant number of supporters feel.

Sadly I suspect that Stirling's time with us is more or less done now.

The more fundamental question at the moment is why our supporters' interest in the current league campaign is so depressingly "take it or leave it".

We are in a relatively strong position challenging for play offs and yet our home crowds are sinking lower and lower almost on a game by game basis.Our traditionally strong away support buoyed by our centrally based fans is dwindling markedly. I know guys who regularly make the 150 mile round trip to Dfs for home games not making the 20 mile trip to Livvy on Sat out of choice. This is not a good trend and needs to explored to better understand why this continues to happen because there is a significant disconnect between our results and our attendances both home and away.

As much as the Sun is a dreadful rag, I very much doubt that they have much to gain in this case about lying about a second tier Scottish team.

Nothing about moving a club legend in a testimonial year  out the back door when you are already depleted looks good for either Naysmith or the Club. I don’t have a problem with not playing him as I’m not sure he and Dobbie can play together as there’s a lack of legs and Kane has played well. He probably deserves to be playing more but surely with Kane going that would be the case and he still has something to offer.

As flash says it hardly suggests that Naysmith has anything to work with financially if he’s having to let players go when our squad is already one of the smallest in the league. I appreciate that in football you often don’t get a nice send off and i’ll wait and see what happens the rest of the window. But if true he deserves better than this. No doubt he’ll join Dumbarton and fire them to finishing above us.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2072929/queen-of-the-south-derek-lyle-gutted/

Story here. Given that it has direct quotes from Lyle, it would seem true to me.

A surefire way for Naysmith to turn the support against him. Del definitely still has something to offer us.

So you would rather have two grafters in the middle rather than one grafter and one creative player? Even though it's blatantly obvious we're screaming out for some creativity in there?

Out of interest, why is the suggestion so laughable?

I would if we were to lose Kane and Lyle, Dobbie up front himself with a ball player behind him. Not McFadden though.
For me, say McFadden was in the middle with Thomson and the other team were on the break then we'd be left with a hole and McFadden 20 odd yards away from play. He'd make as many tackles in a season as Rankin would make in half an hour.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

The more fundamental question at the moment is why our supporters' interest in the current league campaign is so depressingly "take it or leave it".

We are in a relatively strong position challenging for play offs and yet our home crowds are sinking lower and lower almost on a game by game basis.Our traditionally strong away support buoyed by our centrally based fans is dwindling markedly. I know guys who regularly make the 150 mile round trip to Dfs for home games not making the 20 mile trip to Livvy on Sat out of choice. This is not a good trend and needs to explored to better understand why this continues to happen because there is a significant disconnect between our results and our attendances both home and away.

Good question. My theory is because there is zero belief even amongst the diehards that we will get promoted. So the season is just about trying to finish 4th for the prize money and trying to get a run in the Cup, again for the money. 

The non-diehards recognised this long ago. There are less and less people prepared to go to a game just to see their team. It has to mean something. And no matter how (relatively) well we do, nobody actually believes it will end with a prize.  So, watching the ball being lumped up the park might hold some attraction if it looked like it might lead to something. But it won’t, so only those who feel compelled to go are prepared to sit through it. And even if we were playing great football, all the time, folk still wouldn’t go because we’re never going to win anything. If they just want to watch a game, there are any number available on tv. More and more people need a reason to go to games, whereas previously a bigger number needed a very good reason not to go.

Of course, it all becomes self-fulfilling because as crowds drop, the chances of success are diminished. Unless you have a wealthy benefactor, or you have a terrific youth system, it is extremely difficult to compete with clubs who have a much bigger fanbase. Stuff like a plastic pitch and “The Arena” are all very well, but it is doubtful whether the profit from those can plug the gap. We’re trying to win promotion on a shoestring, but nobody seriously believes it will happen.

Anyway, just a theory.

Let’s all just take a minute to appreciate that smile though.

8e918cf7ec871966fed4d1e3943cdca2.jpg

In seriousness this really is shocking. Did Lyle not say this was to be his last season? If true then it's embarassing stuff.

Flash has maybe nailed it with his theory. If that isn't the case and GN just doesn't want him here then I'm well and truly done with him. I'm on the verge of a Heads Gone so won't continue.

I sincerely hope Dobbie signs next season as he's about the only thing dragging me along to Palmerston just now.

57 minutes ago, QoS_1919 said:

I would if we were to lose Kane and Lyle, Dobbie up front himself with a ball player behind him. Not McFadden though.
For me, say McFadden was in the middle with Thomson and the other team were on the break then we'd be left with a hole and McFadden 20 odd yards away from play. He'd make as many tackles in a season as Rankin would make in half an hour.

McFadden was away at the start of January before the Dumbarton game.