The Queen of the South thread

We desperately need signings, before the Partick game for sure but not sure who’s cheap enough for us to bring in. With injuries taking their toll, the team for Partick looks like Martin, Mercer, Rooney, Brownlie, Beerman, Murray, Thomson, Rankin, Dykes, Dobbie, Lyle. 

seen that Stirling has been told he can find another club, hence why he’s not playing. Wouldn’t see why rangers and Celtic wouldn’t allow us to play beerman or thomson in the cup, doubt they’d get a game for their parent clubs in it
Oh, hey, send Stirling back our way plz.

Really thought we were getting a really good player in Andy Stirling.
Has been given a few chances to play but has never really played a good game for us all he had done is score at Livi.
Has a 2 year contract so don't think he will be in a hurry to leave

Not sure if it’s true he’ll leave or not but by all accounts his attitude at halftime on Saturday was shocking . That’s probably where these rumours started

1 hour ago, Northfield 53 said:

Has been given a few chances to play but has never really played a good game for us all he had done is score at Livi.

He is a decent player which he's showed in spells , not sure if nayidea encourages him to do what he's good at ,

Really? Depends what your idea of a chance I suppose. One full 90 minute game in the league and a run of 4 starts (5 if we include the postponed Utd game) being the most he's had all season doesn't really constitute a chance to me. Certainly not "chances".

Not sure if it’s true he’ll leave or not but by all accounts his attitude at halftime on Saturday was shocking . That’s probably where these rumours started

I won't justify him taking the huff and sitting on the bench at HT; it's not a great attitude to have when there are youngsters on the bench next to you. But I empathise with the guy. See above and on top of that he's seen Murray and Dykes picked before him far more times. Neither of whom have been anything better than OK all season and more often than not they've been below that.

The guy has possibly gave up on getting a regular gig here. If he is released early then Naysmith deserves the pelters for it.

Stirling is the kind of guy who needs a proper run in the team, most definitely a confidence player.

At the start of last season he was fairly rotten, he got dropped for a bit and was reintroduced around Christmas time. He was playing every game and turned into one of the best players in the team. Towards the end of the season he was unstoppable.

Aitken is fairly well known for getting the best out of these type of players so it's probably for the best if you just punt him out on loan to us for the remainder of the season.

Stirling should be filed alongside Tapping in the "the less he plays the better he gets" category.  I can't think of anything he has done for us that would make him any sort of loss whatsoever.  The only reason for keeping him at the moment is because we have so few players on the books as it is, especially in his position.  I'm certainly not buying into this notion that Naysmith is inadvertently not playing some sort of superstar.

The manager clearly favours hard working players and expects his wide-men to take on defensive duties as well.  Stirling has looked incredibly lazy every time I have seen him and I can only assume it is for this reason he has fallen foul with the manager.  He's simply not good enough to be a "luxury" player, so he has to muck in like the rest of them.  Even Dobbie has bought into that mantra this season, covering considerably more ground than he ever did in his first spell with us.

Like so many wingers at this level he flatters to deceive.  Whilst there is no doubting he has ability, I think it is probably his attitude and/or mentality that lets him down.  We are his 9th club in 9 years.  That tells its own story.

21 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Stirling should be filed alongside Tapping in the "the less he plays the better he gets" category.  I can't think of anything he has done for us that would make him any sort of loss whatsoever.  The only reason for keeping him at the moment is because we have so few players on the books as it is, especially in his position.  I'm certainly not buying into this notion that Naysmith is inadvertently not playing some sort of superstar.

The manager clearly favours hard working players and expects his wide-men to take on defensive duties as well.  Stirling has looked incredibly lazy every time I have seen him and I can only assume it is for this reason he has fallen foul with the manager.  He's simply not good enough to be a "luxury" player, so he has to muck in like the rest of them.  Even Dobbie has bought into that mantra this season, covering considerably more ground than he ever did in his first spell with us.

Like so many wingers at this level he flatters to deceive.  Whilst there is no doubting he has ability, I think it is probably his attitude and/or mentality that lets him down.  We are his 9th club in 9 years.  That tells its own story.

I'm really surprised to hear that. Even early in the season last year when he was pretty rotten his workrate and defensive side couldn't be doubted. When he added an attacking edge to his game we had a player who was pretty much ideal for a club like ourselves, and thus should've been a really good fit for Queens.

Purely as an outsider looking in it reeks of a manager and player who just don't respond well to each other. Stirling doesn't enjoy working for Naysmith, so he doesn't put as much effort in, so Naysmith won't pick him.

Dykes hardworking? Not sure about that tbh.

Given the Dumbarton fans said early on it took him a while to come onto a game I don't know why he's not been given a run of games. I don't think Stirling is some kind of superstar, however I don't see what Murray and Dykes have brought to the wide areas that has allowed them more game time than Stirling. We saw last season Stirling was capable or tormenting defences (us) so we know there is potential there. Have we seen anything from Murray to suggest he'll give the opposition fullback a torrid time? I've certainly seen no evidence. At this stage I'd sooner he persevered with Stirling ahead of Murray. Murray has time on his side.

I've not managed as many games this season but in those I've been at we've desperately lacked width, particularly on the left. And some games outright had no LM. Why Naysmith signed a player he clearly doesn't rate on a 2 year deal beggars belief.

I've not misinterpreted anything you've said. You said you'd rather have someone who'd chase everything over someone with more footballing ability. I made a tongue-in-cheek comment about 2 players who fit both your criteria. But on a serious note commented that we have two midfielders in Jacobs and Thomson who do the chasing so why would you want another one rather than someone with ability, especially when it blatantly obvious we need a CM who can take hold of the game for us?

Your initial reply made the suggestion of McFadden playing CM seem an utterly ridiculous idea and my argument is that it's hardly the maddest suggestion ever. Especially when you consider McFadden showed far more composure on the ball in his short spell than Rankin has all season.

Unfortunately you have. I said I'd rather have a player like that than McFadden, not every player in general so your "tongue-in-check" comment is invalid and pointless.
For me McFadden playing CM and that's CM as in not behind the striker (just to make that clear, again) is laughable.
You don't agree, big deal.

Dykes is an infinitely harder worker than Stirling.

Naysmith clearly rated him to have signed him, it just hasn’t worked out as he, or we had hoped. I’d imagine Sonsteamof08’s explanation is about the size of it.

As I said before though, 9 clubs in 9 years would suggest Stirling is the issue and not Naysmith.

17 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

As I said before though, 9 clubs in 9 years would suggest Stirling is the issue and not Naysmith.

Aye but that's not really a fair reflection. He's had two seasons at each of Stenhousemuir, East Stirling and Stranraer in that time. The only clubs he has done one season or less at are an American mob on an extended holiday, Dunfermline (who loaned him out), and Dumbarton where he was highly rated.

What has that got to do with it? The majority of teams at this level and below work with 1 year deals. 2 of the clubs he joined were full-time, meaning it was an upgrade for him.

You may or may not rate him, but 9 clubs in 9 years means absolutely nothing. We'd have happily kept him on, as would Stranraer.

Did Stephen Dobbie not play for eight different teams in eight years at the start of his career?

He went from Rangers to Hibs, was loaned out a few times, joined us and was loaned a few times, then moved down south and was loaned a few times.

I haven’t seen enough of Stirling to be able to judge. However, any time I’ve seen Murray, he’s not been very good. So, Stirling would need to be really quite poor for Murray to be picked ahead of him.

What I’m concerned about more is whether we are skint. It seems that some of the non-guaranteed starters who might be on a decent wage are being frozen out or released and will be replaced either by U20s or cheaper loan players (either because they are young or because the parent club is picking up some of the tab).

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t replace Kerr. I think we might go with Mercer at RB, Fordyce at CB with Rooney and Gourlay providing cover.

It could be that Naysmith’s hand is being forced to a certain extent. I hope I’m wrong, but I think anybody who goes in this window will be replaced with a cheaper version or an U20.  Of course, only Tapping and McFadden are actually away atm. So could be worrying about nothing.